Windows XP blank page

Reaction score
on startup i get a programme page with no files on it. i delete it, but it appears every time. i have done virus trojan, and adware scans but all is clean,how do i delete it permanently.it does not show on msconfig start thanks in advance for any help.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Delete anything in your startup folder.

But I really haven't a clue what your on about. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
its a page that would contain files. normally top left is name of programme, but this just says programme.then underneath there is file, edit view ,favourites,tools help.left hand side there is a wide blue bandand on that theres files and other tasks etc. but the main page is blank,do you know now what im on about ,there is nothing to open, explore search or delete and there is only my normal startup programmes running nothing has changed,anybody got any ideas ,its no real problem but annoying

Reaction score
terryco said:
its a page that would contain files. normally top left is name of programme, but this just says programme.then underneath there is file, edit view ,favourites,tools help.left hand side there is a wide blue bandand on that theres files and other tasks etc. but the main page is blank,do you know now what im on about ,there is nothing to open, explore search or delete and there is only my normal startup programmes running nothing has changed,anybody got any ideas ,its no real problem but annoying

You've run adaware but it might be worth running a registry scanner, also do a "start" "Run" "msconfig" then check all of those especially the startup bit.

Reaction score
Hi there
Click on start, run, regedit
Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon],
on the right ,try to locate shell , make sure it contains only "explorer.exe".
try these steps if you don't find anything in the start up list, in msconfig.

Reaction score
hi wolfgang, there are two shell entries, one is shell explorer exe and the other isautorestartshell. when i looked at the keys, there are many old programmes that i no longer have, is it safe to delete these keys,or will i do more damage.there are old file shareing programmes and when i do a adware scan these programmes are often infected , although i have uninstalled these sometime ago the keys remain in the registry. gratefull for help

Reaction score
If you're sure that these keys belongs to the softwares you just uninstalled, yes you can delete them,but i just wanted you to check if the shell key contains only "explorer.exe" or "explorer.exe something.exe"?
It should contains only "explorer.exe".

Ask a Question