blank global address list window - after doing an advanced find

I have this issue where my Global Address List window opens up blank after
doing an advanced fine. The senerio is.

1. Open Global Address List, see everyone listed there (at this point
everything is fine)
2. Click Advanced Find
3. Enter Advanced Find search criteria (for example, Last Name: Doe)
4. Click OK to perform the search
5. See users matching my criteria in the Address Book window, with 'Search
Results - Global Address' in the Address Book drop down menu (at this point
everthing is still ok)

Here is where my issue starts
6. Click the Address Book drop down menu and choose 'Global Address List' or
'All Address Lists', nothing comes up, the Address List is blank
7. In the blank address list window I see "Type your search keywords and
click 'Go' to perform a search'

If do a search, for example John, I will see all the Johns in the address
list, however when I choose Global Address List from the drop down menu, I
get a blank window again.

This has happened to me once before but before I could search for how to fix
it, the full address list started showing up again. I can't for the life of
me remember what I did or if I did anything. Maybe it just fixed it's self
and maybe it will again, but in the meantime it's really annoying.

I am running Outlook 2007 (with all the latest updates) on Windows XP SP2
(with all the latest updates)

Thanks for any help

Well, just after I posted this I went back in the Address List and it's fixed
itself again, so nevermind.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Well we would, but I'm surprised you ever got the search feature to work in
the address book view. I have found it completely unreliable and have
abandoned it. I suspect it will break again for you, too. I recommend you
use the search features that work: Instant Search or Advanced Find in the
relevant Contacts Folder.

Well, I guess its good to know its not just me. However, I can't see how to
search our Global Address List from Instant Search or Advanced Find.

I don't want to search my mail or contact items, I just want to search for
people in the GAL. For example, everyone with the department Facilities.

I never had a problem searching the GAL in 2000 or 2003.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
ac2006 said:
Well, just after I posted this I went back in the Address List and it's
fixed
itself again, so nevermind.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Those would be AD/Exchange issue, not Outlook.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

ac2006 said:
Well, just after I posted this I went back in the Address List and it's
fixed
itself again, so nevermind.

Actuallly, I don't see how these are AD/Exchange issues.

I am one of a small handfull of people running Outlook 2007, everyone else
is running Outlook 2003. No Outlook 2003 users are having this issue (and
they are one the same Domain\Exchange servers as me)

I don't have this issue on my other machine that is still running Outlook
2003. When this issue occurs on my Outlook 2007 machine, I RDC to my Outlook
2003 machine and do my searches there.

Anyway, the issue has fixes itself for now.

Russ Valentine said:
Well we would, but I'm surprised you ever got the search feature to work
in
the address book view. I have found it completely unreliable and have
abandoned it. I suspect it will break again for you, too. I recommend you
use the search features that work: Instant Search or Advanced Find in the
relevant Contacts Folder.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Well, just after I posted this I went back in the Address List and it's
fixed
itself again, so nevermind.

Frank Harper

I have run into this exact issue. In troubleshooting I found that following your steps from your earlier post, I was able to exactly reproduce the issue on Outlook 2007.

What I noticed is that when you complete your step 4, "1. Open Global Address List, see everyone listed there (at this point
everything is fine)
2. Click Advanced Find
3. Enter Advanced Find search criteria (for example, Last Name: Doe)
4. Click OK to perform the search"...

that the "More Columns" radio button becomes selected and the rest of your steps show the behavior that you describe.

The Solution: Click the "Name only" radio button and the view will return to your regular GAL with the names that should be there viewable in the list.

I realize the extreme difference in dates of your post and mind but hopefully this will help someone who runs into this in the future.

Best Wishes!
[...]

On Thursday, November 01, 2007 4:19 PM ac200 wrote:
Well, just after I posted this I went back in the Address List and it is fixed
itself again, so nevermind.

On Tuesday, November 06, 2007 4:00 PM ac200 wrote:
Actuallly, I don't see how these are AD/Exchange issues.

I am one of a small handfull of people running Outlook 2007, everyone else
is running Outlook 2003. No Outlook 2003 users are having this issue (and
they are one the same Domain\Exchange servers as me)

I don't have this issue on my other machine that is still running Outlook
2003. When this issue occurs on my Outlook 2007 machine, I RDC to my Outlook
2003 machine and do my searches there.

Anyway, the issue has fixes itself for now.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Gordon

"Frank Harper" wrote in message

I have run into this exact issue.

Yes - THREE YEARS LATE! DO YOU REALLY THINK ANYONE IS FOLLOWING A THREE-YEAR OLD THREAD?
JEEEEZE.

leratomn

"Frank Harper" wrote in message

I have run into this exact issue.

Yes - THREE YEARS LATE! DO YOU REALLY THINK ANYONE IS FOLLOWING A THREE-YEAR OLD THREAD?

JEEEEZE.

Oh yes, thanks Frank.

i just visited the thread now and it helped me a lot.