    weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or
    something which contained these commands?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 1, 2012

  2. From: "Yousuf Khan" <>

    > I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it anymore. In MS-DOS,
    > where were the standard external commands located? The only thing I remember about
    > MS-DOS was that the command.com was located in the root directory (along with
    > autoexec.bat, config.sys, and the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different
    > names for the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
    > The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which weren't built into
    > the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or something which contained these commands?
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    It depended upon the DOS falvour; PC/MS/DR.

    However it was always located in the PATH (%PATH%).

    --
    Dave
    http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

    David H. Lipman, Jun 1, 2012

  3. David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Yousuf Khan" <>
    >
    >> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it anymore. In MS-DOS,
    >> where were the standard external commands located? The only thing I remember about
    >> MS-DOS was that the command.com was located in the root directory (along with
    >> autoexec.bat, config.sys, and the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different
    >> names for the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
    >> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which weren't built into
    >> the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or something which contained these commands?
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan

    > It depended upon the DOS falvour; PC/MS/DR.
    >
    > However it was always located in the PATH (%PATH%).

    I normally kept mine in the C:\DOS directory, and made sure both it and
    C:\$PROGDIR for all the programs were in the path. As long as all the
    program locations were in the path, it didn't really matter where they were.

    On a Toshiba laptop I had with DOS 3.3 in ROM when first booted from
    new, it showed all the DOS commands in C:\, with everything else on D:\,
    which was the Hard Drive, and the path was set to include D:\ by
    default. This worked fine until you found a program which was hard coded
    only to run from the C: drive, then I had to copy the contents of the
    ROM onto the HD, and disable the ROM in the BIOS, losing about half a
    megabyte of the 10 megabyte HD. I've still got the Toshiba DOS 6.xx
    extensions on floppy somewhere, along with install floppies for all
    MS-DOS versions except DOS 4.

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.

    John Williamson, Jun 1, 2012
  4. Yousuf Khan

    glee Guest

    "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote in message
    > I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
    > anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands located?
    > The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
    > located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys,
    > and the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names for
    > the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise
    > identical. The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or
    > xcopy, which weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS
    > folder or something which contained these commands?
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    As I recall, the default location for MS-DOS (at least v. 5 and 6.x) was
    at C:\DOS
    --
    Glen Ventura
    MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

    glee, Jun 1, 2012
  5. Yousuf Khan

    Ken Blake Guest

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:26:07 -0400, "glee" <>
    wrote:

    > "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote in message
    > > I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
    > > anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands located?
    > > The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
    > > located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys,
    > > and the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names for
    > > the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise
    > > identical. The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or
    > > xcopy, which weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS
    > > folder or something which contained these commands?
    > >
    > > Yousuf Khan

    > As I recall, the default location for MS-DOS (at least v. 5 and 6.x) was
    > at C:\DOS

    That's what I remember too, but at my age, I don't trust my memory <g>

    Ken Blake, Jun 2, 2012
  6. Yousuf Khan

    glee Guest

    "Ken Blake" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:26:07 -0400, "glee" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote in message
    >> > I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
    >> > anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands
    >> > located?
    >> > The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
    >> > located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys,
    >> > and the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names
    >> > for
    >> > the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise
    >> > identical. The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or
    >> > xcopy, which weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS
    >> > folder or something which contained these commands?
    >> >
    >> > Yousuf Khan

    >> As I recall, the default location for MS-DOS (at least v. 5 and 6.x)
    >> was
    >> at C:\DOS

    > That's what I remember too, but at my age, I don't trust my memory <g>

    yes, well with MS-DOS, you need less memory anyway... lol

    glee, Jun 2, 2012
  7. Yousuf Khan

    Ken Blake Guest

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:55:33 -0400, "glee" <>
    wrote:

    > "Ken Blake" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:26:07 -0400, "glee" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote in message

    > >> As I recall, the default location for MS-DOS (at least v. 5 and 6.x)
    > >> was
    > >> at C:\DOS

    > > That's what I remember too, but at my age, I don't trust my memory <g>

    > yes, well with MS-DOS, you need less memory anyway... lol

    LOL from me too. I'm in the minority, but I love puns.

    Ken Blake, Jun 2, 2012
  8. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 01/06/2012 4:57 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Yousuf Khan"<>
    >
    >> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it anymore. In MS-DOS,
    >> where were the standard external commands located? The only thing I remember about
    >> MS-DOS was that the command.com was located in the root directory (along with
    >> autoexec.bat, config.sys, and the hidden files msdos.sys& io.sys). Slightly different
    >> names for the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys& ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
    >> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which weren't built into
    >> the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or something which contained these commands?
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan

    > It depended upon the DOS falvour; PC/MS/DR.
    >
    > However it was always located in the PATH (%PATH%).

    Yeah, I know it was always available in the path, but was there a
    default directory created to hold these commands? For some reason I'm
    thinking that there may have been a C:\SYS or SYSTEM folder or
    something? Or were they all placed into C:\ the root directory?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 2, 2012
  9. Yousuf Khan

    VanguardLH Guest

    Yousuf Khan wrote:

    > I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
    > anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands located?
    > The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
    > located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys, and
    > the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names for the
    > PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
    > The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which
    > weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or
    > something which contained these commands?
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    See replies to the disconnected MULTI-posted copy of your same message
    over in the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt newsgroup.

    What does hardware, especially chips, have to do with your question?
    Don't shotgun to unrelated newsgroups which results in posting off-topic
    within them. With all those cross-posted newsgroups, you didn't even
    bother to include the *.msdos newsgroups in your query.

    VanguardLH, Jun 2, 2012
  10. Yousuf Khan

    VanguardLH Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:

    > Yousuf Khan wrote:
    >
    >> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
    >> anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands located?
    >> The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
    >> located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys, and
    >> the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names for the
    >> PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
    >> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which
    >> weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or
    >> something which contained these commands?
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan

    > See replies to the disconnected MULTI-posted copy of your same message
    > over in the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt newsgroup.
    >
    > What does hardware, especially chips, have to do with your question?
    > Don't shotgun to unrelated newsgroups which results in posting off-topic
    > within them. With all those cross-posted newsgroups, you didn't even
    > bother to include the *.msdos newsgroups in your query.

    Oops, I see the problem. You did cross-post to the
    alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt newsgroup. However, my reply there only
    went to that newsgroup. Why? Because TomT changed the Newsgroups list
    without issuing notice about his change. I didn't notice he changed the
    Newsgroups list. So never mind about the comment about multi-posting
    (except regarding the unrelated newsgroups and lack of including the
    msdos newsgroups).

    See my reply to TomT but only in the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    newsgroup since that is the only newsgroup that TomT retained in his
    Newsgroups list in his reply.

    To TomT:
    Whenever you change the Newsgroups list, add a comment about making that
    change. It's considered netiquette to inform of changing this header.
    Lack of notification is typical of troll-like behavior or could be a
    mistake in use of your newsreader. If you change the Newsgroups list,
    add a note saying which newsgroups you chose to omit in your reply at
    the top of your reply post.

    VanguardLH, Jun 2, 2012
  11. Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > On 01/06/2012 4:57 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> From: "Yousuf Khan"<>
    >>
    >>> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
    >>> anymore. In MS-DOS,
    >>> where were the standard external commands located? The only thing I
    >>> remember about
    >>> MS-DOS was that the command.com was located in the root directory
    >>> (along with
    >>> autoexec.bat, config.sys, and the hidden files msdos.sys& io.sys).
    >>> Slightly different
    >>> names for the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys& ibmio.sys, but
    >>> otherwise identical.
    >>> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which
    >>> weren't built into
    >>> the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or something which
    >>> contained these commands?
    >>>
    >>> Yousuf Khan

    >> It depended upon the DOS falvour; PC/MS/DR.
    >>
    >> However it was always located in the PATH (%PATH%).

    > Yeah, I know it was always available in the path, but was there a
    > default directory created to hold these commands? For some reason I'm
    > thinking that there may have been a C:\SYS or SYSTEM folder or
    > something? Or were they all placed into C:\ the root directory?

    IME, the closest to a default was C:\DOS. Hold on a second, I'll check.

    <Sounds of distant rummaging.> <Sounds of cursing as many crates are
    lifted and moved.> <Finds and starts DOS 5 based Toshiba T3200mains
    powered "portable".> <Lights throughout the area go dim as the EGA
    orange plasma screen lights up.>

    Blimey, it still works. Now *there's* a blast from the past. Tasword...

    Yup. C:\DOS on the default DOS 5.0 installation, with Windows 3.0 in
    C:\WINDOWS, and the extra Toshiba goodies in C:\TOSHIBA.

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.

    John Williamson, Jun 2, 2012
  12. Yousuf Khan

    philo Guest

    On 06/01/2012 09:41 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:55:33 -0400, "glee"<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Ken Blake"<> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >>> That's what I remember too, but at my age, I don't trust my memory<g>

    >> yes, well with MS-DOS, you need less memory anyway... lol

    > LOL from me too. I'm in the minority, but I love puns.

    I have a few vintage machines here but they are up in the attic.
    I thought the default directory for MSDOS was simply C:\msdos

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Jun 2, 2012
  13. Yousuf Khan

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In the last episode of <>,
    GreyCloud <> said:

    >On 6/1/2012 2:52 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
    >> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
    >> anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands located?
    >> The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
    >> located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys, and
    >> the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names for the
    >> PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
    >> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which
    >> weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or
    >> something which contained these commands?
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan

    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IO.SYS

    What does that have to do with the question being asked?

    --
    This signature was randomly selected

    DevilsPGD, Jun 2, 2012
  14. From: "Yousuf Khan" <>

    > On 01/06/2012 4:57 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> From: "Yousuf Khan"<>
    >>
    >>> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it anymore. In
    >>> MS-DOS,
    >>> where were the standard external commands located? The only thing I remember about
    >>> MS-DOS was that the command.com was located in the root directory (along with
    >>> autoexec.bat, config.sys, and the hidden files msdos.sys& io.sys). Slightly different
    >>> names for the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys& ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
    >>> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which weren't built
    >>> into
    >>> the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or something which contained these
    >>> commands?
    >>>
    >>> Yousuf Khan

    >> It depended upon the DOS falvour; PC/MS/DR.
    >>
    >> However it was always located in the PATH (%PATH%).

    > Yeah, I know it was always available in the path, but was there a default directory
    > created to hold these commands? For some reason I'm thinking that there may have been a
    > C:\SYS or SYSTEM folder or something? Or were they all placed into C:\ the root
    > directory?
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    They couldn't all be in the root as there was a limit of 64 files in the root.

    David H. Lipman, Jun 2, 2012
  15. Yousuf Khan

    Stewart Guest

    "glee" <> wrote in message
    > "Ken Blake" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:26:07 -0400, "glee"
    >> <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote in message

    >>> As I recall, the default location for MS-DOS (at least v. 5 and
    >>> 6.x) was
    >>> at C:\DOS

    >> That's what I remember too, but at my age, I don't trust my memory
    >> <g>

    > yes, well with MS-DOS, you need less memory anyway... lol

    Why would anyone ever need more thn 640k?

    Stewart, Jun 2, 2012
  16. Yousuf Khan

    > On 01/06/2012 4:57 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> From: "Yousuf Khan"<>
    >>
    >>> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
    >>> anymore. In MS-DOS,
    >>> where were the standard external commands located? The only thing I
    >>> remember about
    >>> MS-DOS was that the command.com was located in the root directory
    >>> (along with
    >>> autoexec.bat, config.sys, and the hidden files msdos.sys& io.sys).
    >>> Slightly different
    >>> names for the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys& ibmio.sys, but
    >>> otherwise identical.
    >>> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy,
    >>> which weren't built into
    >>> the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or something which
    >>> contained these commands?
    >>>
    >>> Yousuf Khan

    >> It depended upon the DOS falvour; PC/MS/DR.
    >>
    >> However it was always located in the PATH (%PATH%).

    > Yeah, I know it was always available in the path, but was there a
    > default directory created to hold these commands? For some reason I'm
    > thinking that there may have been a C:\SYS or SYSTEM folder or
    > something? Or were they all placed into C:\ the root directory?
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    As I already posted in my reply about 14 hours ago, it was C:\DOS for
    the Microsoft versions of DOS.
    --
    Glen Ventura
    MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

    glee, Jun 2, 2012
  17. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 02/06/2012 7:41 AM, glee wrote:
    > "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote in message
    >> Yeah, I know it was always available in the path, but was there a
    >> default directory created to hold these commands? For some reason I'm
    >> thinking that there may have been a C:\SYS or SYSTEM folder or
    >> something? Or were they all placed into C:\ the root directory?
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan

    > As I already posted in my reply about 14 hours ago, it was C:\DOS for
    > the Microsoft versions of DOS.

    Yeah, I know you posted that, but I didn't get a chance to respond to it
    since it was getting late for me. However, I also wanted some additional
    verification about it. Funny, the C:\DOS directory seems so logically
    simple, but I can't remember that at all. Then I would assume, the IBM
    version had a C:\PCDOS directory?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 2, 2012
  18. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 02/06/2012 1:22 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
    > Yousuf Khan wrote:
    >
    >> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
    >> anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands located?
    >> The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
    >> located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys, and
    >> the hidden files msdos.sys& io.sys). Slightly different names for the
    >> PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys& ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
    >> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which
    >> weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or
    >> something which contained these commands?
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan

    > See replies to the disconnected MULTI-posted copy of your same message
    > over in the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt newsgroup.
    >
    > What does hardware, especially chips, have to do with your question?

    That group used to be quite generalized at one time.

    > Don't shotgun to unrelated newsgroups which results in posting off-topic
    > within them. With all those cross-posted newsgroups, you didn't even
    > bother to include the *.msdos newsgroups in your query.

    Well, that's simple, I didn't even know that there were still msdos
    newsgroups existed.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 2, 2012
  19. Yousuf Khan

    Bob I Guest

    On 6/1/2012 11:11 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > On 01/06/2012 4:57 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> From: "Yousuf Khan"<>
    >>
    >>> I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
    >>> anymore. In MS-DOS,
    >>> where were the standard external commands located? The only thing I
    >>> remember about
    >>> MS-DOS was that the command.com was located in the root directory
    >>> (along with
    >>> autoexec.bat, config.sys, and the hidden files msdos.sys& io.sys).
    >>> Slightly different
    >>> names for the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys& ibmio.sys, but
    >>> otherwise identical.
    >>> The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which
    >>> weren't built into
    >>> the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or something which
    >>> contained these commands?
    >>>
    >>> Yousuf Khan

    >> It depended upon the DOS falvour; PC/MS/DR.
    >>
    >> However it was always located in the PATH (%PATH%).

    > Yeah, I know it was always available in the path, but was there a
    > default directory created to hold these commands? For some reason I'm
    > thinking that there may have been a C:\SYS or SYSTEM folder or
    > something? Or were they all placed into C:\ the root directory?
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    C:\DOS

    https://scs.senecac.on.ca/~albert.pang/ios100/doscmd.html

    Bob I, Jun 2, 2012
  20. Yousuf Khan

    Guest

    On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 06:29:10 -0400, "Stewart" <> wrote:

    >"glee" <> wrote in message
    >> "Ken Blake" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:26:07 -0400, "glee"
    >>> <>

    >>> That's what I remember too, but at my age, I don't trust my memory
    >>> <g>

    >> yes, well with MS-DOS, you need less memory anyway... lol

    >Why would anyone ever need more thn 640k?

    When he said that, I already had 704K in my 5150.

    , Jun 2, 2012