    worked. It just started doing this at the end of last
    week. I haven't made any changes to my machine lately.
    Thanks for any help.

    Chris, Aug 3, 2003

  2. In article <00a001c359f7$1ffe75b0$>, "Chris"
    <> wrote:
    >When I click on the network icon in the systray, the
    >amount of packets sent is in the high billions, while the
    >recieved packets is only a few thousand. Even if I reboot
    >the machine, the packets sent are already about 200
    >billion by the time the little icon loads in the systray.
    >It does disturb web surfing. I have ran a full virus
    >scan, downloaded all available updates, but nothing has
    >worked. It just started doing this at the end of last
    >week. I haven't made any changes to my machine lately.
    >Thanks for any help.

    It isn't possible for your network card to send 200 billion packets in
    the time that it takes the computer to reboot.

    This could be a network card driver problem. Download and install the
    latest XP drivers for your network card.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Aug 3, 2003

  3. Chris

    Steve Guest

    I'm getting the same thing.

    Within my home LAN, it looks like it even takes place
    within computers when I unplug the WAN.

    But the same thing is occuring.

    Steve

    Steve, Aug 3, 2003
  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I completely wiped the machine and started reloading XP.
    Then I started doing the Windows update. Next thing I
    know, it has the same problem. So I wipe the computer
    again. Then reload XP and selectively do the windows
    updates. I did all the critical updates, but not the
    security updates. The problem has not come back. Guess
    that means MS missed a bad patch.

    group
    >for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer

    questions

    Chris, Aug 5, 2003