    reminder mailings, etc.

    Thanks for the advice..

    --PT

    Pianotech, Sep 20, 2009

  2. Pianotech

    Don Guillett Guest

    If you use the data>filter>autofilter then there is probably no reason not
    to have all on ONE sheet.
    Have a column for date, customer, etc.
    --
    Don Guillett
    Microsoft MVP Excel

    Don Guillett, Sep 20, 2009

  3. Pianotech

    Gord Dibben Guest

    The key word is "easily".

    I would put all on a single worksheet in a single workbook and make use of
    Excel's filtering functions.

    Or all on one sheet and create a Pivot Table.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, Sep 20, 2009
  4. Pianotech

    Pianotech Guest

    Don and Gord, thank you both for the advice. That's the way I was leaning,
    but figured I'd run it past people who were more experienced at it.

    Thanks again!

    Pianotech, Sep 20, 2009
  5. Pianotech

    Ed Ferrero Guest

    Ed Ferrero, Sep 20, 2009
  6. Pianotech

    Bill R Guest

    "Pianotech" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I'm new to Excel, having used MS Works for a customer
    > list/database
    > for many years. I'm trying to decide whether it would be best to have:
    >
    > 1. A single Excel workbook with my entire customer list on one worksheet
    > or
    > 2. Seperate workbooks for each month
    > or
    > 3. A single workbook with worksheets for each month.
    >
    > My goal is to easily be able to select customers from a certain month and
    > export their contact information to direct mailers, etc, for promotional
    > and
    > reminder mailings, etc.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice..
    >
    > --PT

    In general it would be best to have a single Excel workbook for your entire
    customer list. The reasons? If you change the format / structure of the
    workbook (and you are most likely to need to as your business evolves)
    everything will be changed instead of applying fixes / changes to individual
    workbooks. This especially applies to formulae which may, otherwise, be
    referenced to an incorrect cell.

    There are two ways (and probably more) of extracting information. The
    simple way is to sort the workbook so as to bring all data to be extracted
    together. Another is to use data filtering. You could, then use a data
    merge to automatically import the data into a word file. Some while ago I
    perfected this by using a macro to export data directly from the workbook
    into a word file of the outgoing letter. (Just set it going, sit back and
    have a cup of tea whilst the letters were prepared.) If you have a lot to
    do (or even a small number each and every month) it may be worth looking
    into this. (I can't help you with this as it was too long a go.)

    Another tip is to ensure you have a robust backing up regime. Have a look
    at my web site www.1001solutions.co.uk for more information.

    Bill Ridgeway

    Bill R, Sep 21, 2009