Best socket A motherboard for overclocking

Reaction score
Not the most up-to-date thing any more, but what socket A motherboard can be pushed furthest? Have an AMD 2500+ that I can get to just under 2178MHz with an Asus A7V8X-X mobo. Any higher than 198x11 and it gets unstable. I`m convinced the mobo is holding me back, so what do y`all recommend? The A7V8X-X has a KT400 Northbridge, would a KT800 or Nforce2 do better? Better cooling on the Northbridge? Lower the multiplier? (currently locked)

Cheers

Kenny

P.S. keeping with Socket A coz i dont think the fiscal outlay to buy a `939 board and proc is worth it for the performance increase. Although I wouldnt say no to an Nforce4 with 2x6800GT`s....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
DFI LanParty nFII Ultra B Link (2nd one down)

Has lots of overclocking features, including several Bios configurations you can save and switch between. Can also reset CMOS from Bios, without using jumper.

This board was made for Gamers and Overclockers, the main designer used to work for Abit.

Reaction score
Oh good they gave it Firewire :)

The old one didn't have it.

Actually...typing as i think... it may have been the canterwood they didnt give 1394 to

Good board.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've actually just bought one of those DFI boards, I couldn't resist it ;) Which is why I have one of my Gigabyte boards up for sale. The Gigabyte's a fine board, but no good for overclocking. I suddenly got the flavour to tweak again but I haven't messed around with any settings yet, it's only been in there since Friday.

The DFI must have been the easiest motherboard installation I've ever done, went like a dream, I'm using the 2 x 35Gb Raptors in a RAID 0 with it. It also has lots of little things that make sense, I noticed quite a few whilst installing it, like for instance all the connections are in sensible places and it has two onboard push buttons for reset and power-on for, so it's easy to use outside the case.

I'm really pleased with it, got me's one of them UV strip lights as well to show it off :)

This will definitely be my last Socket A board. Next step, probably around Spring/April time, will be a Socket 939 board.

Reaction score
If i don't go to america next year to learn to fly (i hope i do) then a new PC will be on my shopping list.

Providing i have a car and insurance by then.

So thats 4 grand i need... grand for a Defender 90 or a 306 or a clio or something and then 3 for insurance...

My next PC will probably be Intel.

I say this because i have had beter experiences with Intel - one of them being overclocking. Squeezing every last MHz from it... I also generally just like them more, i despise Socket A installation. Will try a 64bit chip in my next customers computer.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Time was, my man, when Socket A absolutely ruled over Intel. Intel went through so many incarnations trying to get it right whilst AMD just plodded along making their Socket A chips better and better.

Just a few short years ago, AMD went hand in hand with the expression 'Overclocking' Intel just pandered to Mesh, Gateway, ignorant home users and blue chip companies.

Intel's marketing has been despicable. They have falsified figures and out and out lied to sell their product.

But it does seem as though they've finally got their act together and yes, I'll agree, the current batch of Intel CPU's probably overclock better than AMD chips.

But you ever wondered why? If it wasn't for AMD, Intel would still be making boring, bog-standard chips and charging you a small fortune for it.

You despise Socket A chips? Ironic, then, that if it wasn't for socket A, you wouldn't be overclcocking that Intel chip quite so much.

Intel looked at AMD, smelled the coffee, and addressed the problem - to a degree.

But they still ain't got no 64 bit have they? And they're still overpriced.

I don't like Intel cos I've seen their smug, arrogant attitude, and then I've seen them humbled by AMD, and then I've seen them back pedal and actually supply what the enthusiast wants - again, to a degree.

You should be grateful to AMD mister, not despise them cos the installation is a teensier bit trickier ;)

Reaction score
Did i say i despised socket A? No

Did i say i despised socket A installation? Yes.

I use Socket A processors in a good 80% of computers i build for people because they are cheaper, fast and they work well.

When building a computer i don't go by things the company done, i look at the performance of the chip i'm thinking about buying. I couldn't give a monkeys about the company and what they are doing - if a chip is good and fairly priced, or overclocks better than the AMD equivalent, i'll buy it.

Im not saying by any means that Socket A is bad - for the price of a celeron you can get a 2500+ which quite frankly urinates all over it - a good buy? yes. Do i like it? yes. better than intel? yes.

I am grateful of AMD, all i was saying is that their heatsinks are fiddly and that Intel overclock better at the mo.

But no, i havent tried LGA775 or 64bit so i shall reserve any judgement on either of those.

Oww fingers are aching

Chris

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Chris, I hear you.

It occured to me after my last post that you said installation of Socket A CPU's, not the chips themselves.

In fact, I done a hasty re-edit of the last line of my post to reflect that.

So, I was wrong, sorry bout dat.

On the other hand, I got that little lot off me chest, didn't I? ;)

Reaction score
Hey i got myself a DFI mobo, the exact same revision B version your all chatting about, and yes floppy the installation was a dream, it looks great too, reflects red cathodes lovely, as you can see in the gallery.

Even after all this time i have had it, its still running lovely and i have only noticed one problem, DUST shows up big style, so them filters went in snug as a bug. Especially pleased with the advanced bios features, CMOS reloaded is neat, apart from when it automatically set my 3200xp to run at 1124mhz, which was embarrassing, because it should be at 2200+ witout being touched, ah well im still pleased with it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thermaltke: After I'd posted, I did notice your pix in the gallery and thought 'Aha, that's a DFI board' :D

Looks good :)

Reaction score
Hey. To advance on my initial post, I would really like a board that has an AGP and PCI lock, and can cope with a FSB speed of 210MHZ or greater- it would have to be capable of dealing with PC3500 or PC3700 memory. Raid/ Sata would be nice as well, as would a decent number of fan headers.

Not had a chance to check out the DFI board, but I will after this. The price of the board is also a consideration... £81 is... a reasonable amount.

Cheers

Kenny

Reaction score
The DFI board is amazing, yes t has sATA, and it can cope with 4 drives, not even tried putting IDE ones in aswell. And i think yes it can cope with even the ultimate pc4400, defnately pc4000 because thats what i was going to go fo.

It has some wcked speeds, (could be better but great for the price) And if you want AGP lock, its all there ncluded in the price, what other mobo could you dare to buy?? (dont say anything)

My work here is done...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In mine I have two SATA drives (Raptors) in a RAID 0 and two x 80Gb IDE drives, plus a CDRW & a DVD ROM drive. I still have two SATA slots free. Could still add plenty of storage or maybe even go for a RAID 0 + 1.

And yes, as Thermaltke said, all that other stuff. Plus a Harness to cart your machine to a LAN party, if that's your thing :D

Reaction score
yes and i am forgetting, you get the big thick Uv reactive cables, (check my pics) you get the carry harness which is awesome, i used it alot and take alot of wieght off your hands, you get a smart Northbridge cooler that does its job well, theres temperature guages on it, you get a sticker, quite a big one, loads of big blue easy jumpers, and a big front X extra that has firewire, USB, mic, output, and a few more.

On the board; 3 firewire, 2 USB; which turns into 4 in most cases, 5 PCI slots, 1 SGP with lock, 2 DUal memory slots and one extra for a little more cpacity, the only one problem i found was installing the CPU cooler where it didnt actually fit, it needed a good jab with the screwdriver, this may be because it said some number on it instead of A, dont ask i was an amature when i fitted it.

In the back; 4 USB, normal 2x ps2, printer, in/out things :S, base etc, so its got a good built in sound card etc, and the drivers for it are nothing short of amazing. especially the new updadet ones, (make sure you have them floppy ;) )

Also see Lan party NF2 KT400

harry.

Ask a Question