best online retailer?

Kye

Reaction score
i know everyone will have a bad experience with a online retailer while somone thinks they are great and has many successful dealing with them...but generally, which is the most reliable online retailer?

overclockers.co.uk seem ok, but the post from this sites feature list is almost 2 years old! they might of changed by then. PC components centre hardly have anything, or not anything that most people would want.

ebuyer.com have alot of stuff, but i dont know...considering some of the problems some people have had with them...

sooo, which online retailer, has everyone had good luck with. this counts for products, customer service, prices and delivery. i dont care if they got a faulty product, but RMA'ed it or whatever, or...had a problem which was resolved with a happy ending. i need too buy components, and...i need a online retailer :(

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've only had a problem with Microdirect.

Ive been successfull and had absolutly no problems withs Aria, Ebuyer, Overclockers, Savastore, Dabs or LOW.

But genrally, if you get a faulty product and have to send it back, your in for at least a 2 week wait, or in my case 2 months :/ .

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Crucial are the best so far for me, not a single problem in 4 years :) Dabs have been good for the most part, as have Simply.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Best online retailer?

No such thing :D

Like Ian, I can't fault Crucial at all, they've always been brilliant, but they don't sell much.

Best support in case of a problem, for me, has come from overclock.co.uk (that's not overclockers - Esnet) and Kustom PC's up in Scotland. Kustom are great, but they're not as competitively priced as others, unfortunately :(

I've had problems with just about every other major online supplier (except Dabs, funnily enough, but there again, I've never had to RMA any Dabs stuff) but the only two I would definitely recommend avoiding are ebuyer & redstore. Oh, and Microdirect, I suppose, from reading stuff here, though I've never dealt with them.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Oh, and Microdirect, I suppose, from reading stuff here, though I've never dealt with them.
Micro Direct or Micro Land? :confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Both of them, it would seem.

Seems you can't trust any company with the word 'micro' in their title ;)

Uh, sorry Mr Gates...

Kye

Reaction score
averaging off is www.overclockers.co.uk at the moment.

micro-direct has a shop up north i do believe! its linked too there warehouse, so...your buying what you would of got buying from there website. i think so, anyway.

Kye

Reaction score
i really need reinsurance before i buy from overclockers.co.uk

i will be spending, ALOT of money for case, graphics card, PSU and maybe memory. should i buy one at a time? or all in one go?

im kinda new too online shoppin, ya see...and only ever knowing there was like two sites too choose from, and finding all these sites so soon its alot of choise. people have good luck with one company while others have bad luck, and i dont want too have a unlucky experience.

i havnt really heard anyone complain about overclockers.co.uk, thus so, ill be spending more money i ever had on them too get what i want from a site which supplies all my needs.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Amazon does not stock much of computer equipment but otherwise they have been the best online retailer for me.

Kye

Reaction score
by next week, i will be spending £300 on a antec 430W truepower, and a vanilla 6800.

i will be buying these both at the same time from overclockers.co.uk.

its alot of money for somone poor like me, and it will put a dent in my wallet for a long, long time. but, i think its worth it too what its being upgraded from.

im nervous about this! i dont want anything too go wrong. i want it here within 2 days, and i will install it via the manuals. the day between ordering and it hopefully getting here will be a living hell, i hope it goes well.

ALSO, the guy is coming up too talk about the course on thursday ( computer technician, i think, lol ), which im slightly excited about!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Is Newegg.com any good? Since it uses dollars, wouldnt it be less expensive to buy from if you live in England like most of the people here at Pcreview? Oh at newegg i found a Antec 550watt True power Psu for about 59 pounds, is that good?

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
Is Newegg.com any good? Since it uses dollars, wouldnt it be less expensive to buy from if you live in England like most of the people here at Pcreview?
New Egg won't ship to the UK.

I've bought stuff from New Egg via American guys I know.

Just once, I was charged import duty/VAT (not quite sure what). It still worked out a lot cheaper than buying in the UK. If the package is marked as 'gift' it usually gets through OK without attracting any additional costs.

Only problem is if a product goes wrong, helluva lot of bother trying to sort out an RMA :(

Kye: I've just placed an order for £125.00 with overclockers, I've had lots of stuff from them.

The main thing that's niggled me is so far having to pay £9.36 to rma a product that was dead out of the box and £6.55 to rma a motherboard that went faulty on me about 8 months after purchase.

I mean, surely, if they send you a dead product, surely they should pay shipping on it?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
That pretty lame if newegg doesnt ship to the UK. i wonder why they dont...

Reaction score
Shirley a company must have to, by law, pay the shipping if a product they supply to is fault!

Aria and Novatech to name two pay up to a tenner on your return postage and replace items for free...

Reaction score
Best retailer I've ever used is ChillBlast

I've had problems with OCuk, MicroDirect & Tekheads.

Microdirect are effectively uncontactable unless you want to buy something,
OCuk have a bad attitude.
Tekheads wasted four days of my time collecting a shuttle for RMA (they insisted on collecting it).

Chillblast were brilliant. Very fast turnaround & very helpful.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've used Chillblast, but not for a couple of years now.

They were very good and very very helpful. I spoke to one of their guys on the phone, they were based in Chelsea at the time (probably still are) and he said if I was desperate with a problem, I could bring it to them and they'd try and resolve it on the spot.

Whether they have now become busier and are still able to do that, I don't know.

But again, Chillblast, like Kustom PC's, are a little higher priced than most.

Perhaps we have to pay a premium for good service?

Reaction score
Id rather pay a few quid more than have the hassle that comes with lower priced competitors.

Prime example.. I paid £15 less for a 6800GT card from Microdirect. First and last time I ever bother buying from them. It cost me a a week waiting for them accept it back, another week to actually RMA it and countless phone calls chasing them..

Should have bought from CB. I've learned my lesson.

Ask a Question