    I've installed yBook, which seems pretty good, but it's a bit
    clunky. Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
    reader for the PC?

    Al Smith, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Al Smith

    Tom McDonald Guest

    Al Smith <> wrote in news:qUZ0e.4879$Ln.225228@ursa-
    nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

    > Now that uBook has gone shareware, I've been looking around for a
    > new ebook reader for my Windows desktop computer (not my Palm,
    > which takes different ebook readers entirely). uBook stopped
    > working after I upgraded with Service Pack 2 in Windows XP, so I
    > need something else.
    >
    > I've installed yBook, which seems pretty good, but it's a bit
    > clunky. Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
    > reader for the PC?

    My preference is for Tom's eTextReader
    http://pws.prserv.net/Fellner/Software/eTR.htm
    Especially interesting is the integration with Project Gutenberg.
    It runs for me under XP SP1, can't swear it works with SP2.

    --
    Regards,
    Tom McD

    Tom McDonald, Mar 25, 2005

  3. Al Smith

    sno Guest

    I like and use "read assistant"....

    http://www.softpile.com/Education/Literature/Review_06633_index.html

    hope helps...have fun....sno

    --
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

    This tag line is generated by:

    SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

    sno, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Al Smith

    kcaj Guest

    http://www.premier-programming.com/

    kcaj, Mar 26, 2005
  5. Al Smith

    Querulantus Guest

    Tom McDonald <> wrote:

    > My preference is for Tom's eTextReader
    > http://pws.prserv.net/Fellner/Software/eTR.htm

    Seconded. Very good piece of sotware, and it's compactware.

    For the suspicious: it's not Tom McDonald's sTextReader. ;-)

    Q.

    Querulantus, Mar 26, 2005
  6. Al Smith

    Mike Mills Guest

    Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
    >>reader for the PC?

    > http://www.premier-programming.com/

    On checking this one out, it needed over 2 hours on my dialup
    connection.
    26Mb apparently. Rather large for what it does do you not think?

    Mike Mills, Mar 26, 2005
  7. Al Smith

    Jeff Needle Guest

    "Mike Mills" <> wrote in message
    > Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
    >>>reader for the PC?

    >> http://www.premier-programming.com/

    > On checking this one out, it needed over 2 hours on my dialup
    > connection.
    > 26Mb apparently. Rather large for what it does do you not think?

    And at the bottom of the page, there's a price mentioned. Funny for
    something that's free.

    "Limited time" offer? Why have a price at all?

    Jeff Needle, Mar 26, 2005
  8. Al Smith

    Jeff Needle Guest

    > And at the bottom of the page, there's a price mentioned. Funny for
    > something that's free.
    >
    > "Limited time" offer? Why have a price at all?

    Adding to my own post, if a program is available free for a limited time, is
    it considered freeware?

    Jeff Needle, Mar 26, 2005
  9. Al Smith

    Tom McDonald Guest

    kcaj <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:46:30 GMT, Al Smith <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Now that uBook has gone shareware, I've been looking around for a
    >>new ebook reader for my Windows desktop computer (not my Palm,
    >>which takes different ebook readers entirely). uBook stopped
    >>working after I upgraded with Service Pack 2 in Windows XP, so I
    >>need something else.
    >>
    >>I've installed yBook, which seems pretty good, but it's a bit
    >>clunky. Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
    >>reader for the PC?

    > http://www.premier-programming.com/

    This one will actually read out loud to you, and it's free, but 26 MB is
    a large download. Have you tried it, and how does it work for you?

    --
    Regards,
    Tom McD

    Tom McDonald, Mar 26, 2005
  10. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    > Tom McDonald <> wrote:
    >

    >>> My preference is for Tom's eTextReader
    >>> http://pws.prserv.net/Fellner/Software/eTR.htm

    > Seconded. Very good piece of sotware, and it's compactware.
    >
    > For the suspicious: it's not Tom McDonald's sTextReader. ;-)
    >
    > Q.

    This one looks pretty good. I'm downloading it now, and will try
    it out. It seems to be able to handle TXT, RTF and HTML, and to be
    able to look inside ZIP archives, which is the minimum I would
    expect in an e-book reader. The latest Release Candidate even
    seems to be able to read MS Word DOC files and Palm files. If it
    can do all this smoothly, about the only thing it is missing is
    the ability to see inside RAR archives.

    Al Smith, Mar 26, 2005
  11. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    > Al Smith wrote:
    >

    >>> Now that uBook has gone shareware, I've been looking around for a
    >>> new ebook reader for my Windows desktop computer (not my Palm,
    >>> which takes different ebook readers entirely). uBook stopped
    >>> working after I upgraded with Service Pack 2 in Windows XP, so I
    >>> need something else.
    >>>
    >>> I've installed yBook, which seems pretty good, but it's a bit
    >>> clunky. Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
    >>> reader for the PC?

    > I like and use "read assistant"....

    http://www.softpile.com/Education/Literature/Review_06633_index.html

    > hope helps...have fun....sno

    This sounds like an interesting program, but its site is really
    sparse -- no screen shots, no access to the author's home page.
    All I get is a download site all in Russian. Not exactly
    calculated to inspire confidence. Has anyone else used Read
    Assistant 3.0? It is safe?

    Al Smith, Mar 26, 2005
  12. Al Smith

    sno Guest

    Al Smith wrote:

    > > I like and use "read assistant"....
    > >

    > http://www.softpile.com/Education/Literature/Review_06633_index.html
    > >
    > > hope helps...have fun....sno

    > This sounds like an interesting program, but its site is really
    > sparse -- no screen shots, no access to the author's home page.
    > All I get is a download site all in Russian. Not exactly
    > calculated to inspire confidence. Has anyone else used Read
    > Assistant 3.0? It is safe?

    It used to be a pay program...has been around for long time....
    2002...???...before...???.....I especially like the scrolling...

    It does try to call home...I do not know why...but I have it
    blocked with zone alarm.....and works find...

    If you want to try it...it is a little difficualt to set up initially...
    send me email and will talk you through settings....

    have fun.....sno

    sno, Mar 27, 2005
  13. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    >> Seconded. Very good piece of sotware, and it's compactware.
    >>
    >> For the suspicious: it's not Tom McDonald's sTextReader. ;-)
    >>
    >> Q.

    > This one looks pretty good. I'm downloading it now, and will try it out. It seems to be able to handle TXT, RTF and HTML, and to be able to look inside ZIP archives, which is the minimum I would expect in an e-book reader. The latest Release Candidate even seems to be able to read MS Word DOC files and Palm files. If it can do all this smoothly, about the only thing it is missing is the ability to see inside RAR archives.

    Just wanted to add that I installed Tom's eTextReader, beta 1.9.1,
    and it looks like the reader I've been searching for. It is a very
    nice program. I'm running the latest beta, but haven't encountered
    any problems with it. I tried it out with Palm files, RTF, TXT and
    HTML, both open files and files inside ZIP archives, and it
    handled all of them. It will open and display RAR compressed
    files, but the display is garbage.

    The menus and controls are very sane, particularly in comparison
    to uBook, which has always had a quirky and counter-intuitive
    interface. It's easy to select any page via the graphic slider,
    and to edit the text via the built-in text editor. You can, if you
    wish, save the files to a unique ebook format (which is just a
    text file with a different file termination) in order to keep them
    separate for easy reference, but the program doesn't mess with
    your existing archives if you don't want it to.

    I was surprised by the number of useful options. The only
    shortcoming I minded, other than the difficulty in displaying RAR
    compressed files, is the limited choice of an interface. It would
    be nice to be able to customize it more easily, and more
    extensively. On the other hand, the existing interface choices are
    very good.

    Al Smith, Mar 27, 2005
  14. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    >>This sounds like an interesting program, but its site is really
    >>> sparse -- no screen shots, no access to the author's home page.
    >>> All I get is a download site all in Russian. Not exactly
    >>> calculated to inspire confidence. Has anyone else used Read
    >>> Assistant 3.0? It is safe?

    > It used to be a pay program...has been around for long time....
    > 2002...???...before...???.....I especially like the scrolling...
    >
    > It does try to call home...I do not know why...but I have it
    > blocked with zone alarm.....and works find...

    I was able to find one screen shot of this program, and didn't
    like the look of it. When I tried to download it from the Russian
    site, about two-thirds came through, at a download speed of .4 k
    per second, and the download self-aborted. I took this as a sign
    from God that I should forget about this program and use Tom's
    eTextReader instead. Which is what I've done.

    Al Smith, Mar 27, 2005
  15. Al Smith

    kcaj Guest

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:19:56 -0600, Tom McDonald <>
    wrote:

    >kcaj <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:46:30 GMT, Al Smith <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Now that uBook has gone shareware, I've been looking around for a
    >>>new ebook reader for my Windows desktop computer (not my Palm,
    >>>which takes different ebook readers entirely). uBook stopped
    >>>working after I upgraded with Service Pack 2 in Windows XP, so I
    >>>need something else.
    >>>
    >>>I've installed yBook, which seems pretty good, but it's a bit
    >>>clunky. Does anybody else have recommendations on a free ebook
    >>>reader for the PC?

    >> http://www.premier-programming.com/

    >This one will actually read out loud to you, and it's free, but 26 MB is
    >a large download. Have you tried it, and how does it work for you?

    I have had it about 2 months. I didn't pay attention
    to the size of the file. It reminds you of using
    Microsoft Word, but of course the function
    buttons, etc., are different.

    kcaj, Mar 27, 2005
  16. Al Smith

    Steve King Guest

    While I haven't tried it yet, Sophie looks pretty good,
    http://rivertext.com/sophie.html. It appears to have been written for the
    Mac and ported to Windows.

    Steve . . .

    Steve King, Mar 27, 2005
  17. Al Smith

    MLC Guest

    _Steve King_, domenica 27/mar/2005:

    > While I haven't tried it yet, Sophie looks pretty good,
    > http://rivertext.com/sophie.html. It appears to have been written for the
    > Mac and ported to Windows.

    It looks really interesting, expecially for its feature for keeping notes...
    I'm downloading it and I'll try it, thanks Steve.

    --
    Maria Luisa C - 27/03/2005 16.27.19

    MLC, Mar 27, 2005
  18. Al Smith

    Tom McDonald Guest

    kcaj <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:19:56 -0600, Tom McDonald <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>kcaj <> wrote in

    >>> http://www.premier-programming.com/

    >>This one will actually read out loud to you, and it's free, but 26 MB

    is
    >>a large download. Have you tried it, and how does it work for you?

    > I have had it about 2 months. I didn't pay attention
    > to the size of the file. It reminds you of using
    > Microsoft Word, but of course the function
    > buttons, etc., are different.

    Thank you, I look forward to trying it out.

    --
    Regards,
    Tom McD

    Tom McDonald, Mar 28, 2005