best anti-virus program

Reaction score
I recently bought a new laptop and I need to also buy new security software and I was wondering what everyones recommendations are. I've been looking at Norton 360, but this is the first time I've ever actually had to buy security software so I'm not too sure what to look at.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Welcme to the forums templar67
happywave.gif

Most folks here would tell you to steer clear of Norton as it isn't the best, and tends to use alot of system resources slowing your machine down.

The best solution around IMHO is Kaspersky Internet Security, which is a complete AV and Firewall solution, you can download a 1 month free trial HERE to try before you buy.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If you search the forums, you will find loads of posts

The "best antivirus software" is ... do not connect to the Internet. That will offer 98% protection. ;)

Joking aside, I totally agree with Ady ... KIS, Kaspersky Internet Security is damn good, install it and forget it. :nod:

It is, what is commonly called an "all-in-one" solution ... most people think this is not so good an idea, but I'm afraid they are probably victims of Norton or McAfee's poor incarnations.

If you would prefer to use separate programs, that may not get along, then I can suggest ... KAV (Kaspersky Anti Virus), NOD32 (an exceptional AV program) and AntiVir, the latter can be had for free.

In conjunction to a "stand alone" AV program, you should install a Firewall ... you will need something a little better than MS's own built-in Firewall, even if you use a NAT Router, a software firewall is strongly recommended.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
axxo said:
Kaspersky can be annoying sometimes XD

Could you possibly expand upon that?

After several years using Antvir, I'm seriously considering paying for Kaspersky's all-in-one.

A friend of mine installed it recently and I had a look at it, I was very impressed.

It also found two viruses on his machine that Antvir missed, which surprised me :eek:

And yes, avoid Nortons, it's almost a virus itself, which is kind of ironic.

Reaction score
I still go with Kapersky if you want a good all in one solution.
( or you could just switch to Linux )

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
After several years using Antvir, I'm seriously considering paying for Kaspersky's all-in-one.
Whats the cost of £ Kaspersky's all-in-one???

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
feckit said:
Whats the cost of £ Kaspersky's all-in-one???
Well I could tell you to use google of course, but instead I'll let you know you can get OEM 1yr licence copies from places like Aria for around £11 :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Rush said:
AVG is free and bloody good too :D
Unfortunately the free version isn't an all-in-one solution - but as a AV product its not bad - doesn't come at the top in independent testing, but does pretty well :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Rush said:
AVG is free and bloody good too :D
In many comparison tests, especially with the three Free AV programs ... AntiVir, Avast & AVG ... AVG consistently comes last.

Do you want the facts ... I got them too. :p

:user:

Ask a Question