    %>java/ipix/ipix-viewer.aspx?FileString=<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "[\"FileString\"]") & chr(39) %>, 375,
    350)' class="more">

    Guest, Mar 13, 2007

    clintonG Guest

    I'm having similar problems. Let me ask you a question about the FileString
    parameter used by the Eval method.

    // What are the [ ] brackets for? Are they supposed to be output as text
    literals?
    "[\"FileString\"]"

    On the other hand -- my problem -- with the Eval method is writing out a
    delineated string of text.

    // need this ouput
    'Title'

    // is not working for me
    "\'Title\'"

    Other than that and to get back to your error message...

    I wondered why you wrote the <%#... %>data binding evaluator for chr(39)?
    Here's what I have learned. In ASP <%= ...%> was an evaluator for writing
    variant data types to the response. Similarly when binding to a control the
    data being bound is being cast to a string data type by <%#...%>.

    // Have you wrote this way?
    FileString=<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,
    "[\"FileString\"]") & chr(39) %>, 375, 350)'
    class="more">...</a>

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

    clintonG, Mar 14, 2007

    Re: BC32017: Comma, ')', or a valid expression continuation expect

    Clinton, Thanks for replying.

    I actually had a brain freeze and was thinking C#.

    I changed the line to the following:

    <%# ((System.Data.DataRow)Container.DataItem)["FileString"] %>

    Which makes the comma error go away, but now I'm getting the following error
    on that line:

    BC30691: 'DataRow' is a type in 'Data' and cannot be used as an expression.

    Any idea on what that may be?

    Regarding your problem, can you post some code. Thanks.

    Guest, Mar 15, 2007

    clintonG Guest

    Re: BC32017: Comma, ')', or a valid expression continuation expect

    I solved my problem using HTML character entities.

    The last error message sounds like it won't support the cast to the
    System.Data.DataRow type within the <%# ...%> databinding expression. That's
    a guess but throwing the error messages at google does what?

    clintonG, Mar 15, 2007

    Re: BC32017: Comma, ')', or a valid expression continuation expect

    After hours of trying different variations of the code, this is what finally
    fixed my problem:

    <%="<a href=" & chr(34) & "javascript:popIt(" & chr(39) &
    "java/ipix/ipix-viewer.aspx?FileString="%><%#Container.DataItem(2)%><%=chr(39) & ", 375, 350)" & chr(34)%> class="more"><%# Container.DataItem(1)%></a>

    Thanks Clinton for replying to my problem.

    Guest, Mar 15, 2007