Battlefield 3

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Bummer :(

Do you know what they could mean by this?

Unfortunately, Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. No other download service has adopted these practices.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I think i read before that is basically something to do with the way Steam sell the DLC for games, via the Steam shop front and they dont allow DLC to be bought through the game as they want a cut of the profits.

From what i've read its a recent change in the Steam T&C's that caused this reaction from EA....

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything official from Steam.....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah, I see...

I wonder if there will be a compromise, as Steam will lose quite a chunk of revenue if it misses out on EA games.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I hope so, but its not looking good right now, especially as EA now have Origin....

I'd much rather have it on Steam....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
In fact thinking about it, i own F! 2010 on Steam, that was patched via GFWL and not Steam, and DiRT 3 DLC is bought via GFWL also, so EA arguments is totally BS, they clearly just want to milk the game for all its worth and not have to cut the profits from the DLC with anyone else, ie Steam.... :/

I'm actually not going to pre order it, i shall wait and see if it ends up on Steam close to the time.

Also it £40 on Origin? LoL

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, will be holding fire here too and see what happens :).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How quick the general public are to accept 'DLC' into gaming vocabulary.

You do all realise we're getting ripped off don't you.

The reasoning goes like this:

Head of game publishing company: 'How can we make more money from our games?'
Bright young thing in game publishing company: 'How about instead of selling the complete full length game we hold back about 25% and sell it a month or two after release as an expansion pack?' We could call it something like 'Downloadable Content'. Oh, and charge money for those extra multiplayer maps we currently give away?'

Head: 'Brilliant, Jamieson, here's the key to the executive karzi'

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol, and your probably spot on Flops. :)

Reaction score
Dead right Flops.

I was amazed the other day when I was playing CoD at a mates house and he said he has spent more than the price of the game on map packs! I don't recall any game I've ever owned having a system like that?

Its ludicrous. Expansion packs are one thing, as they have been around for years and years, but paying £10 for a couple of maps?

Played Dirt 3 the other day too on a PS3, and noticed that half of the race-league things have their final race locked unless you buy a map pack.

Console gaming is a huge fail in many ways.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Origin required to play Battlefield 3

There has been some confusion over how EA’s new Origin service will be integrated into Battlefield 3. Battlelog plays a big part, with the ability to browse servers and join a game directly from the browser. But according to DICE’s Daniel Martos, Origin will be required in order to play Battlefield 3 if the game is bought in retail. We don’t know whether this is true if the game is downloaded through a digital download service other than Origin, but we suspect Origin will be required no matter what.

This isn’t a big surprise, as many games these days require a client to run in the background, most notably games from Valve, where Steam is required. However, it can become an issue if the client is draining CPU power, which was the case with Origin during the Battlefield 3 alpha trial. Of course, it was only an alpha, so many tweaks and fixes are bound to happen. Another issue is memory usage among these clients, both Steam and Origin appear to use somewhere around 50 MB of memory during a game (but that can depend on the game and other system specs).

Last week, EA confirmed that Battlefield 3 would not be released on Steam due to certain Steam rules where DLC and patches must be provided via Steam.
http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/origin-required-to-play-battlefield-3/

Even though...
In fact thinking about it, i own F! 2010 on Steam, that was patched via GFWL and not Steam, and DiRT 3 DLC is bought via GFWL also, so EA arguments is totally BS, they clearly just want to milk the game for all its worth and not have to cut the profits from the DLC with anyone else, ie Steam.... :/

I'm actually not going to pre order it, i shall wait and see if it ends up on Steam close to the time.

Also it £40 on Origin? LoL

:mad::rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me, I could never get my head round Battlefield 2 MP and managed to get stuck on SP even on easy (keep getting killed where you have to defend a landed satellite when troops come at you from all sides).

It's also extremely rare I will pay £40 for a game, I wanted Starcraft II but wouldn't pay full price on principle. In the past I've paid full price for games only to find them useless, which equates to money wasted.

Steam were subtle in their almost takeover of the PC gaming scene but they have given bargains and supply some class games whereas it seems EA are being clumsy, crass and crude in their way of trading.

Battlefield 3 will sell cos it's a good game and people want it so they will buy it and that includes you V_R, don't kid yourself ;)

But some, like myself, will abstain and I really hope EA fall flat on their face.

I've never liked EA but will reluctantly admit Steam are OK. Why reluctantly? Support. Neither supplier is any good but Steam do at least give an automated service whereas EA's (Origin's) support is non-existent.

EA can take BF3 and shove it.

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me, I could never get my head round Battlefield 2 MP and managed to get stuck on SP even on easy (keep getting killed where you have to defend a landed satellite when troops come at you from all sides).

It's also extremely rare I will pay £40 for a game, I wanted Starcraft II but wouldn't pay full price on principle. In the past I've paid full price for games only to find them useless, which equates to money wasted.

Steam were subtle in their almost takeover of the PC gaming scene but they have given bargains and supply some class games whereas it seems EA are being clumsy, crass and crude in their way of trading.

Battlefield 3 will sell cos it's a good game and people want it so they will buy it and that includes you V_R, don't kid yourself ;)

But some, like myself, will abstain and I really hope EA fall flat on their face.

I've never liked EA but will reluctantly admit Steam are OK. Why reluctantly? Support. Neither supplier is any good but Steam do at least give an automated service whereas EA's (Origin's) support is non-existent.

EA can take BF3 and shove it.

I'm as excited as a little girl riding a pony, but I will be abstaining for a while.

Firstly I want to see the reviews, but secondly...

I need to build a new pooter to play it.

Not exactly principles...:lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'll just leave this here.... :D

GamesCom 2011: Battlefield 3 Caspian Border Gameplay Trailer - 64 Player MP!!!
:drool::thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Still gonna lash out forty quid then? ;)

EA just e-mailed me, it was probably that link above. I bounced it back at 'em :D

Signed,

Mr Cynical, aka Mr Grumpy

(and also Mr He-knows-when-he's-fed-crapola-and-being-taken-for-a-ride)

Maybe I'll start a poll:

How long before BF3 offers DLC?

a) One Month?
b) One week?
c) One day?
d) One hour?

Hey, enjoy, don't mind me...

(Suckers... :fool: )

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Coda:

Ok, I just watched it, sure is a lot of bass in that music.

And yes, ok, it looks, well, it looks - bloody fabulous....

Reaction score
i dont understand why you get different game packs and add on's depending where you buy from ?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Neither do i...... I'm not even sure if EA know! lol

Ask a Question