Bank account hacked

Reaction score
My lloyds bank account was hacked the other day, someone had obtained my username, password and memorable information and tried to transfer money out. Fortunately the lloyds security system picked this up and all was fine in the end.
However I am baffled as to how this could of happened because:-
1)My antivirus software showed no sign of any virus on my PC
2)I work at home and I never use a shared PC
3)I am always very careful with the internet, I never respond to phishing or fictitious emails from banks asking for username and password etc.
4)I only ever visit the same handful of sites everyday, just the standard news sites and hotmail.
Can anybody explain to me how this could have happened?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
unthank said:
My lloyds bank account was hacked the other day, someone had obtained my username, password and memorable information and tried to transfer money out. Fortunately the lloyds security system picked this up and all was fine in the end.
However I am baffled as to how this could of happened because:-
1)My antivirus software showed no sign of any virus on my PC
2)I work at home and I never use a shared PC
3)I am always very careful with the internet, I never respond to phishing or fictitious emails from banks asking for username and password etc.
4)I only ever visit the same handful of sites everyday, just the standard news sites and hotmail.
Can anybody explain to me how this could have happened?

I'm curious, if the hacker had your username,password and memorable information how did Lloyds pick up no the fact that they were a hacker ?

Do you keep the information above written down anywhere ?

Does anyone have physical access to your pc ?

Do you keep the above information in a text file on your pc ? if so anyone can hack it with a live Linux CD.

happywave.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It might be worth seeing if Lloyds can give you any more details about the hack. I had a friend who had the exact same problem with another bank, and her laptop scanned clean with all the major anti-virus applications. They told her the name of the trojan they suspected of causing problems, but I couldn't find it on her laptop. I don't quite know how they know which trojan caused the problem unless something specific happens when visiting the banks website.

In the end, she did a low level format (technically not low level, but wiping more than the file allocation table) to rid everything from the drive. Then it was the slow process of re-installing Windows and applications.

It could be that you have a virus on your PC that can't be detected - have you tried other scans (or online ones such as http://housecall.trendmicro.com/)? If you believe this to be the case and your AV scanners can't find it, the only foolproof way (and to guarantee peace of mind) would be to wipe your hard drive and start again. Of course this will wipe all your data (so backup!) and takes some time to do.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
One of my credit cards was 'hacked' around six months ago and when I spoke to them to cancel the card and get a new one issued I asked them how it happened as nobody had access to the card or any of it's details.

I was told that chancers use random number generators to match names and numbers and that 'it just happens, don't worry about it sir'.

I'm still somewhat sceptical about that explanation, the only logical explanation I can think of is that somebody got the details from the credit card company's database.

It hadn't happened before and it hasn't happened since but it has left me puzzled.

Reaction score
If your really worried about it change all your details with the bank if possible....new numbers etc. I'm sure they will accomodate you if you ask. Oh and keep a very close eye on your account, if i was you.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
HAve you used your card for any instore purchases..? In otherwords have you say payed for any CD's or done TESCO shopping and payed with your card..? Its pretty easy for shops to run your card through ther scanners which will obtain prety much every detail about your account besides your pin number, then to go online and try their luck....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
A couple of my cards were hacked of last month. They made a luverly snapping sound and flared up nicely when I threw them in the fire. Only one more to go now.

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I'm curious, if the hacker had your username,password and memorable information how did Lloyds pick up no the fact that they were a hacker ?

Do you keep the information above written down anywhere ?

Does anyone have physical access to your pc ?

Do you keep the above information in a text file on your pc ? if so anyone can hack it with a live Linux CD.

happywave.gif
I'm a bit late on this thread but I can suggest a reason why Lloyds picked it up. It is their standard practice to contact the account holder directly, by a text if they have a mobile number, whenever a new recipient is set up and a payment or transfer made to the new account. If this is what happened then it also means the Lloyds will have at least some account details of the person trying to remove the funds.

I recently had my credit card used online by a hacker they had all the details including my date of birth and I am convinced that they bought this information from someone who had hacked an online shopping account. As it happens I check all my bank accounts daily and I picked up on this one as a pending on my credit card. The person using the card had tried to buy an £800 televeision from Currys; Currys also picked it up as the delivery address did not match my credit card address. They put the order on hold and contacted me to check whether or not I had ordered it. I have no idea what happened after that but the police were in on it from the start and Curry's have an address so I hope that some would-be thief is being charged.

Ask a Question