    JimL

    The purpose of complicated software is to provide excitement for geeks with
    not enough to do; busy people can go suck eggs. Winstun Churchhill

    JimL, Oct 9, 2009

  2. JimL

    JimL Guest

    "JimL" <> wrote in message
    news:hao9cb$1ka$-september.org...
    > XP Pro SP3 updated way too more than necessary.
    >
    > Some weeks ago I suddenly started seeing info baloons EVERYWHERE, all the
    > time. On the desktop, in browsers, etc., etc.
    >
    > At one time I had turned off as many baloons as possible, having utterly
    > no heed of junk popping up in my line of sight constantly.
    >
    > Any idea what started them up again in plethora style? An update? A
    > fluke? A glitch? Hitting the wrong key by accident? ???
    >
    > Thanks

    PS. EnableBalloonTips in registry is set to zero.

    JimL, Oct 9, 2009

  3. JimL wrote:
    > XP Pro SP3 updated way too more than necessary.
    >
    > Some weeks ago I suddenly started seeing info baloons EVERYWHERE,
    > all the time. On the desktop, in browsers, etc., etc.
    >
    > At one time I had turned off as many baloons as possible, having
    > utterly no heed of junk popping up in my line of sight constantly.
    >
    > Any idea what started them up again in plethora style? An update? A
    > fluke? A glitch? Hitting the wrong key by accident? ???

    Here's nine different popup/balloon disables on one page.
    http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc4/v33/vic33.htm

    As for why it started happening - not a clue. I have a WIndows XP machine
    that I have been using since it came out (RTM) and it has no
    popups/balloons - been that way since I set it up.

    Keep your system well maintained? (updates barely scratches the surface of
    a well-maintained system.)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Oct 10, 2009
  4. JimL

    Jose Guest

    On Oct 9, 5:19 pm, "JimL" <> wrote:
    > XP Pro SP3 updated way too more than necessary.
    >
    > Some weeks ago I suddenly started seeing info baloons EVERYWHERE, all the
    > time.  On the desktop, in browsers, etc., etc.
    >
    > At one time I had turned off as many baloons as possible, having utterly no
    > heed of junk popping up in my line of sight constantly.
    >
    > Any idea what started them up again in plethora style?  An update?  Afluke?
    > A glitch?  Hitting the wrong key by accident?  ???
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > JimL
    >
    > The purpose of complicated software is to provide excitement for geeks with
    > not enough to do; busy people can go suck eggs. Winstun Churchhill

    There are many places balloon type messages can be seen.

    Supply your system information, browsers(s) with the issue and some
    examples of what you are doing that pops up a balloon tip that you
    don't want to see.

    Windows cannot tell if you hit a key by accident or on purpose. I
    think it will presume you hit a key on purpose.

    Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

    msinfo32

    Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
    All, Copy and then paste

    There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
    Name), and whatever appears to
    be private information to you, just delete from the pasted
    information.

    Reduce the possibility of malicious software:

    Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
    detection programs:

    Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
    SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

    These can be uninstalled later if desired.

    This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork and
    assumptions.

    Jose, Oct 10, 2009
  5. JimL

    JimL Guest

    "Shenan Stanley" <> wrote in message
    > JimL wrote:
    >> XP Pro SP3 updated way too more than necessary.
    >>
    >> Some weeks ago I suddenly started seeing info baloons EVERYWHERE,
    >> all the time. On the desktop, in browsers, etc., etc.
    >>
    >> At one time I had turned off as many baloons as possible, having
    >> utterly no heed of junk popping up in my line of sight constantly.
    >>
    >> Any idea what started them up again in plethora style? An update? A
    >> fluke? A glitch? Hitting the wrong key by accident? ???

    > Here's nine different popup/balloon disables on one page.
    > http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc4/v33/vic33.htm

    Thanks a lot. This got rid of most of them. I'm still getting some within
    programs, but maybe those are program settings I haven't found yet. I'll
    run through them again to see if I missed anything.

    > Keep your system well maintained? (updates barely scratches the surface
    > of a well-maintained system.)

    Approximately? Wide anti-malware daily. Secondary anti-virus weekly. Disk
    clean and defrag monthly. Look for unused stuff in Add/Remove when I think
    about it. I know news and/or email programs just hide a lot of stuff
    instead of deleting it but I know of nothing to be done about that.

    Suggestions?

    JimL, Oct 13, 2009
  6. JimL

    Jose Guest

    On Oct 13, 1:02 am, "JimL" <> wrote:
    > "Shenan Stanley" <> wrote in message

    > > JimL wrote:
    > >> XP Pro SP3 updated way too more than necessary.

    > >> Some weeks ago I suddenly started seeing info baloons EVERYWHERE,
    > >> all the time.  On the desktop, in browsers, etc., etc.

    > >> At one time I had turned off as many baloons as possible, having
    > >> utterly no heed of junk popping up in my line of sight constantly.

    > >> Any idea what started them up again in plethora style?  An update? A
    > >> fluke? A glitch?  Hitting the wrong key by accident?  ???

    > > Here's nine different popup/balloon disables on one page.
    > >http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc4/v33/vic33.htm

    > Thanks a lot.  This got rid of most of them.  I'm still getting some within
    > programs, but maybe those are program settings I haven't found yet.  I'll
    > run through them again to see if I missed anything.
    >
    > > Keep your system well maintained?  (updates barely scratches the surface
    > > of a well-maintained system.)

    > Approximately?  Wide anti-malware daily.  Secondary anti-virus weekly.. Disk
    > clean  and defrag monthly.  Look for unused stuff in Add/Remove when I think
    > about it.  I know news and/or email programs just hide a lot of stuff
    > instead of deleting it but I know of nothing to be done about that.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > --
    > JimL
    >
    > The purpose of complicated software is to provide excitement for geeks with
    > not enough to do; busy people can go suck eggs. Winstun Churchhill

    Are you going to say "where" you get the balloons that you don't want.

    "still getting some within programs" leaves room for a lot of
    guessing, maybe, etc. and useless message cycles.

    Jose, Oct 13, 2009
  7. JimL

    JimL Guest

    Sheenan, I have been on a wild goose chase. Said otherwise, I haven't had a
    clue what I'm talking about!

    See my new thread.

    Thanks

    JimL, Oct 15, 2009