Bad screen cable on IBM thinkpad

Reaction score
I have a relatively old Thinkpad, and recently the screen has taken to being rather stubborn and not switching on. To begin with, closing the lid and opening would work, and then just prodding the connector between the screen and main computer (very gently)

This worked fine, but then it started flickering on and off, and then finally...off. I can VERY faintly see the screen working (if i shine a light on it, I can see the start up screen), and think it must be the screen cable that has been coming loose....is there an easy(ish) way of popping the case open and sorting out the connection inside?

I would take it to a professional, but am a student, and was hoping it would just be a matter of undoing a few screws and tightening up a few inside! Any help would be gratefully received, am lost without my computer!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Quadophile may ne able to help you with this problem - he knows alot about IBM Thinkpads.

Hang on for him as his time difference may mean that it's very late in his part of the world right now.

Gabs xx

Reaction score
What is the laptop model number? I take fix laptops all of the time (Mostly Dell) and I think I may be able to look up the service manual and give you some quick instructions of repairing the cable. Judging by your description of the problem, I think you have the problem diagnosed as the inverter cable being bad.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
It's 2AM at my end and was about to call it a day when I saw this thread. Anyway, the way to test this, is when the screen problem appears, hook up to an external monitor. Use the Fn+F7 key combination to enable the monitor. If the problem also appears on the monitor, the video chip on the system board is defective. If so, the motherboard itself will need replacement. If the external display is good, you have either a bad LCD cable or some other LCD problem.

IF it is the cable it is easy to replace, just download the hardware manual for your model from www.ibm.com
and carefully go through the instructions. Next find out the part number of the ribbon cable connecting the LCD to the motherboard. Also you need to check the price and order it. The ribbon connectors do give way after certain period and not just on thinkpads but it could be any make, I had similar problem with a 5 year old T20 thinkpad, also a 6 year old dell with similar problems.

Keep us posted. Good Luck with your Thinkpad.:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I had exactly the same prob once, 6 or 7 years ago, got a quote for repair and it would have cost more than the machine was worth.

So I replaced it myself. It was a Toshiba.

That was one hell of a fiddly job, there were retaining screws in places where you'd never thought they'd be.

But it worked Ok after. And I didn't have a manual.

The machine belonged to a friend and for my troubles I received a whole pint of Guinness :D

Reaction score
Just aquicky addon, it may not be the cable. the displays use a bulb to light the screen, and they do go bad. some displays they are replaceable, others they are integrated with the lcd, and are not meant to be replaced.
IF you post the type,model number (on the label on the bottom, something like 2647-m3u- serial number, where 2647 is the type, m3u is the model as an example)

Reaction score
Sorry about the delay - never realised how much I'd miss my computer, keep having to head to a library to get online...

The digits I think you asked for are 2647/4AG - do you know if I can recitify the prob? The fact that the screen is on very, very faintly, suggests to me that the cable must be connected somehow and it must be a different problem? It's really frustrating me now and I keep switching it on in the hope that it will miraculously repair itself...damn

Any further help would be great :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Did you conduct the test about what is causing the problem as I stated in my message earlier? It is important that the problem be diagnosed otherwise you may be wasting your time. I suggest you do as per my message earlier. Did you try to look for information on your laptop on IBM website? How about downloading the Harware Manual that I suggested.

Awaiting your feedback.

Reaction score
well since it appears you have limited access, her's the link to the hardware service manual:
http://www.lenovo.com/think/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4UYM3F

I am guessing it is a T2x series laptop, they all use the same lcd display...
here is the parts blowup of the lcd:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4PEHK3.html
here is the choice list for the various models as shown on the plate byt the power button, in case I guessed wrong:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=TPAD-FRU#Tseries

you need to know what the size of the display is for the cable part number, and you need to see who makes the display to determine which one it is.
There are new replacement sets I have heard for the t20's for that symptom, and there is also the possibility that it is the converter card that supplies the power for the backlight that is at fault. fromt the HMM:
symptoms:
v LCD backlight not working.
v LCD too dark.
v LCD brightness cannot be
adjusted.
v LCD contrast cannot be
adjusted.

FRU or action, in sequence:
1. Reseat the LCD
connectors.
2. LCD assembly.
3. System board.

They fail to mention that a defective inverter card, show in the removal section of the lcd panel in the hmm pg123 can also cause this exact symptom. (actually is the most common cause) and the inverter card is directly related to the type of lcd panel used in your machine. I believe there is a new inverter card out that will work with all the lcd's but I could be mistaken. I would suggest you print off the pages that cover removal of the lcd to have as reference, as it is rather tricky with a T series to open the lcd and get at all the cables.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
edidiong said:
How can one solve the backlight issues if it is the cause?
Your posting on a thread that is over 4 years old!!!!!!!

If you have a problem PLEASE start up a new thread for help.

Oh and welcome to the forum.:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
Your posting on a thread that is over 4 years old!!!!!!!

If you have a problem PLEASE start up a new thread for help.

Oh and welcome to the forum.:wave:

Odd as it may seem, it's common practice on most technical forums for the admin to ask people looking for solutions to use the forum's search engine to see if their problem has been addressed previously and if so to continue that thread if their problem has a different angle but is related.

Granted, it's not always the case when all threads are resurrected and at times can be irritating, but in this instance I think the question is justified being in this thread.

Ask a Question