Windows 7 BackUp of Windows 7

Reaction score
Keep getting an icon come up about making a back up in case of the pc crashing. But not sure what size it would be, it does not fit on either a 8GB or 16GB USB Flash Drive.

Any ideas on what the back size would be?
Have got an 80GB external HDD or could buy a larger one from Maplins?

Cheers in advance folks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What did the error message say, was it just a friendly alert from the troublshooter icon to remind you - or was it one saying that a hard drive failure could happen soon?

If you manually make a backup using the "backup and restore" centre (just search for that on the start menu), then it should let you know how big a full backup will be, IIRC. The size could be anything, as if it's a full system backup it will compress everything on your drive.

Personally, I much prefer to use Acronis - it's much better than the Windows backup tool. That tells you how much space you'll need and it may even be a free download depending on what make hard drive you have got (Maxtor, Seagate and WD have a free branded version, I think). If your drive is by one of these guys, let me know which one and I'll find the link for you :).

Reaction score
Cheers for the reply Ian.
I get an icon "check back up disc size" come up.
Was going to get a 500GB External HDD and use that.
And will try out Acronis before doing anything.

I thought i was making a back up like you used to do with a FDD in the old days.
But i think this one is more likely to be of my whole HDD.
I'm only using 49GB of HDD out of a total of 931GB!!!
Hence on that thinking 50GB plus would be ok??

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you're main drive only has 49GB used so far then the backup won't use any more than that, your 80GB external drive should be plenty :D.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I dont bother backing up my windows drive, My docs, Steam folder, important data etc get backed up to the NAS and and External drive. :)

Ask a Question