Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) Fix

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by chris, Jun 22, 2006.

  1. chris

    chris Guest

    I spent hours on this so I hope it helps those that haven't found a
    solution elsewhere.

    I kept getting the message "Windows could not start the Background
    Intelligent Transfer Service on local computer" .......-2147024891

    I tried the fixes about deleting the folder C:\Documents and
    Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader

    Tried a batch file that ran regsvr32 on a long list of .dll files.

    I made sure other services like RPC were running.

    It still wouldn't work.

    One of my favorite tools to use is FileMon from sysinernals. services
    are run by the program
    svchost.exe. I set filemon to only show me the results from this. I
    started capturing data when i tried to start the service again and
    stopped capturing once I got the message. (if you have ever used
    filemon, you know how much the screen can fill up.) The nice thing with
    filemon is you can filter successful events and errors. I left them all
    in for this time.

    I did capture a few errors. When it was trying to start the service, it
    was getting Access Denied. It wasn't trying to run them from the normal
    path. Somehow this system got the All Users App data path changed to
    our users drive on the network.

    so instead of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader, I was seeing

    \\usersvr\joeblow\application data\microsoft\network\downloader
    ACESS DENIED

    (Btw, We use scriptlogic for logins and I belive this change was due to
    a test I had tried to redirect this folder.)

    Since i was logged in as myself, the path I was seeing in error wasn't
    due to a system variable based on user. I knew I should have no
    trouble finding this in the registry.

    I found the path at 2 places,
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\SHELL
    FOLDERS\COMMON APPDATA

    this one should be C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

    The other was in

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\USER SHELL
    FOLDERS\COMMON APPDATA

    this one should be %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data

    Once I made those changes, I rebooted and tried running BITS again, all
    is well.

    chris, Jun 22, 2006

  2. chris

    Guest Guest

    Same issue on a home machine that got screwed up !
    ESP

    Guest, Sep 12, 2006