Back-Up vs.Win Easy Transfer! Which one?

Reaction score
I recently bought a 500gb external hard-drive to backup my 2 computers. One laptop (Win 7) and one Desktop (Win XP).

I need a good program to backup my files and i was wondering should i use the default backup program on the computers or should i use the Windows Easy Transfer Program?

I hate that the default backup program put the files on my hardrive in numerous random files that i cant access! Do i just have to deal with that or is there a easier way?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If all you're looking for is file transfer can't beat copy and paste really, and it's free.

If you want to back up the complete contents of each computer's hard disk so that a complete restore of the OS can be made at any time then a backup program such as Acronis True Image is what you need. A trial version is available but it does cost money.

I'm not aware of any free software that does the job but there probably is some.

I can't comment on Windows Easy Transfer as to be completely honest your mentioning it is the first time I've heard of it.

I have several hard disks that I use a tray with and each one is labelled. On each I have a series of folders for different things and either just delete and replace them with updated folder or add specific files to them. To me, that seems easy. Perhaps not foolproof as it's prone to human frailty but good enough for me.

Reaction score
Thanks man i guess....Im just lazy and want just important pictures and music documenst to be protected. Dont care about OS and etc. I wanted a free program to do it for me. Ill think ill just use copy and paste!

Ask a Question