Windows XP Automatic Log on question!

Reaction score
im using winxp pro SP1 and i did the following on my registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] so i could enable the automatic logon

1) added a new string value named 'AutoAdminLogon' and set it to either '1' to enable auto logon
2) i didnt added a new string value named 'DefaultUserName' because its already there
3) i didnt added a new string value named 'DefaultPassword' because i dont have one
4) i didnt added a new string value named 'DefaultDomainName' because its already there

rebooted....automatic logon was enabled....rebooted again to check if its still enabled but now it doesnt work....i cn only get it to work once and when i reboot again it doesnt work, the value data for the string value named "AutoAdminLogon" always goes back to 0 after my 2nd reboot..what am i doing wrong??

another question: i have to user accounts...does automatic logon work if i hav 2 user accounts??

Reaction score
got that fixed with this:

You can also use turn on automatic logon without editing the registry in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and in Microsoft Windows XP Professional (not joined to a domain). To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.
3. In the dialog box that appears, click to clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, and then click OK.

specify which user will you allow to autolog if you have two or more user accounts...leave the password blank if u dont have one...

Ask a Question