Automatic duplicate file deleter

Discussion in 'Freeware' started by Daniel Prince, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. I have been using Guenter Nagler's fine program FINDDBL v1.1 with
    some batch files to automatically delete duplicate jpeg files I got
    from the newsgroups. I had it delete based on which directory the
    file was in.

    My Windows XP got messed up so I did a new install in another
    logical drive. Now when I try to run FINDDBL, I get this error
    message:

    Assertion failed: i + 1 == tree->Elements(), file FINDDBL.CPP, line
    207
    Abnormal program termination

    Does anyone have any idea why I am getting this error and what I can
    do about it?

    If I can not get FINDDBL to work again, I need a new automatic
    duplicate file deleter. Can anyone recommend one?

    I need one that can be set to look at *.j* files and *.gif files and
    delete only the ones that are byte-for-byte identical regardless of
    file name or date. (I do not want it to delete dll or exe files.)
    I would rather have one that runs from a command line so that I can
    invoke it with a batch file.

    Thank you in advance for all replies.
    in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
    it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.

    Daniel Prince, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Daniel Prince

    David Harmon Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:27:17 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, Daniel Prince
    <> wrote,
    >I have been using Guenter Nagler's fine program FINDDBL v1.1 with
    >some batch files to automatically delete duplicate jpeg files I got
    >from the newsgroups. I had it delete based on which directory the
    >file was in.
    >
    >My Windows XP got messed up so I did a new install in another
    >logical drive. Now when I try to run FINDDBL, I get this error
    >message:
    >
    >Assertion failed: i + 1 == tree->Elements(), file FINDDBL.CPP, line
    >207
    >Abnormal program termination

    In general, whenever you see a "Assertion failed" error message, it
    is highly desirable to report that back to the author of the
    program. Include the entire text of the error message and any other
    information that you think might be pertinent. "Assertion failed"
    means that something has happened that the author of the program
    thought was impossible, and the accompanying message is usually
    intended to make sense only to the author.

    If I had to guess, I would guess that perhaps you have exceeded the
    number of files that FINDDBL is prepared to keep track of at once.
    It might work if you divided your files up and scanned some subset
    of them separately. But that is all guesswork.

    David Harmon, Dec 8, 2004

  3. David Harmon <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:27:17 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, Daniel Prince
    ><> wrote,
    >>I have been using Guenter Nagler's fine program FINDDBL v1.1 with
    >>some batch files to automatically delete duplicate jpeg files I got
    >>from the newsgroups. I had it delete based on which directory the
    >>file was in.
    >>
    >>My Windows XP got messed up so I did a new install in another
    >>logical drive. Now when I try to run FINDDBL, I get this error
    >>message:
    >>
    >>Assertion failed: i + 1 == tree->Elements(), file FINDDBL.CPP, line
    >>207
    >>Abnormal program termination

    >In general, whenever you see a "Assertion failed" error message, it
    >is highly desirable to report that back to the author of the
    >program. Include the entire text of the error message and any other
    >information that you think might be pertinent. "Assertion failed"
    >means that something has happened that the author of the program
    >thought was impossible, and the accompanying message is usually
    >intended to make sense only to the author.

    I informed the author and he does not know the cause.

    >If I had to guess, I would guess that perhaps you have exceeded the
    >number of files that FINDDBL is prepared to keep track of at once.
    >It might work if you divided your files up and scanned some subset
    >of them separately. But that is all guesswork.

    I just emailed the author and told him this:

    This can not be it because I have previously used finddbl with as
    many as 12,000 files in a directory and this time none of my
    directories had more than 9,000 and some had far less. Finddbl
    failed every time it was called by my batch file even when the
    directory had only a few hundred files in it.

    I think I know what the problem is. I had to reinstall XP to a
    different directory. When I did, I installed 4NT 6.x instead of the
    5.x I had been using.

    I think this is what caused the problem but I have not tested it
    because I have found a new freeware program called CloneSpy that
    does what I want to do so I will be using it from now on instead of
    finddbl. I like it better because it has the option of deleting the
    newer file.

    P.S. I just tried it again and now it works. I installed SP1
    between when it did not work and when it did.

    Daniel Prince, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Daniel Prince

    Jaxxim Guest

    ["Daniel Prince"; Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:27:17 GMT]

    > If I can not get FINDDBL to work again, I need a new automatic
    > duplicate file deleter. Can anyone recommend one?

    I think most duplicate-file finders can detect exact copies of files. Dup
    Detector, especially, is great at finding photos that are slightly different
    from each other.
    --
    Jaxxim, who urges all to quote previous posts judiciously

    Jaxxim, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Daniel Prince

    Alan Guest

    Try NoClone, it finds and deletes duplicate files.
    With smart marker, you can clean up files easily.
    http://noclone.net

    Alan, Dec 24, 2004
  6. Daniel Prince

    MLC Guest

    _Alan_, venerdì 24/dic/2004:

    [shareware ad snipped]

    Unregistered version search only 3000 files, to get a version with full
    functionality, Click [Buy Now] button to buy online.

    *Price: Home Ed.- US$26.80 Enterprise Ed.- US$48.80

    Alan, this is a _freeware_ group!
    --
    Maria Luisa C - 24/12/2004 19.28.58

    MLC, Dec 24, 2004
  7. Daniel Prince

    marko46

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Getting solution in all hectic problems of duplicate files I think Duplicaterfilesdeleter is the best software. With this software we get quick results, scalability, performance and 100% accurate byte by byte comparison of duplicates. One of the best options of the Duplicaterfilesdeleter software is we enjoy the facility of an automatic deletion of all the duplicate files from our main documents. It is easy to use and offered simple features.

    marko46, Feb 12, 2014