Audio playing too fast

AndrewF

In all my audio programs (Real Audio or Media Player), my
audio plays like a 33 record played at 45 speed (how's
that for dating myself?). Can anyone tell me why this
would occur and how to fix it? I'm running Windows 2000.
Thanks.

Sven Holm

zachd said:

To Andrew:
Would you please report back whether you could fix your speed related
problem? If so, how?

And to Zach:
Did you see my repeatedly written articles about voice chat and about
pitch/sample rate questions?

Since I am desperately looking for a solution myself (and yes, I already
studied your above link and the included links thoroughfully - in vain,
unfortunately), would you have a suggestion? (why pitch conversion due
to sample rate changing does not work for me under windows 2000, while
it works on the same computer all right with windows xp)

Many thanks
Sven

P.S.
If you like, have a look at this article:
<[email protected]>

Michel Merlin

Thanks Sven! Your advice lead me to the fix. Now my sound is OK.
To help the next ones, here are:

1) The fix: just REINSTALL SOUND DRIVER (Yes, sometimes just
doing the obvious does it!).

2) Explanation: Intel Accelerator software seems causing the
flaw when installed *after* the sound driver. Then you
just need to reinstall the sound driver - usually you
don't even need to update it.

3) How found: http://www.google.com , Groups,
Advanced Groups Search, newsgroup: alt.os.windows2000,
subject contains: too fast.

First hit is "sounds play too fast", 7 Dec 2002 by Linus;
click "View Thread (6 articles)", and read:

From: Gaaaaaaaaahhhhhrrrrrrrr ([email protected]):

I noticed tis on Dell Optiplexes @ over 1 Ghz....

From: NoneOfBusiness ([email protected])
Subject: Re: sounds play too fast
Newsgroups: alt.os.windows2000
Date: 2002-12-23 21:57:13 PST

It only happens on them with the onboard audio from what i
have seen and it appears to depend on the order from which
you install the drivers and the intel chipset drivers. If
you uninstall the SoundMax stuff from add/remove programs
in control panel, reboot and the reinstall the software it
should go back to normal.....

I have set up about 350-400 Optiplexes (gx150, 240, & 260's)
and this is the way we have to do it if we don't install the
intel chipset drivers first.

4) How tested:
Among my PCs, only the finest one was affected, since Sept 2003:
Asus P4T533-C, P4 1.8A, 2*128 MB RAMBUS PC800,
sound on mobo, Altec Lansing ACS56.

I went in Device Manager, where I have:

- Sound, video and game controllers
|__Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM AC '97 Audio Controller - 2445

I double-clicked that last one, updated driver to the one given
by Asus (http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4T533-C&Type=Latest):

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/alc650/alc650_wdm337.zip

and wow! after the required Restart, the great sound was back.

Paris, Tue 21 Oct 2003 12:13:14 +0200

----- Paris, Message -----
From: "Sven Holm" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.win2000.multimedia
Message: Sent: Sun 14 Sep 2003 03:37:38 +0200
Subject: Re: sample rate/pitch conversion issue - SOLVED!

Problem is solved! :)
those who are interested, look in alt.os.windows2000,
<[email protected]>

Sven

Michel Merlin

On the Newsgroup news://news.free.fr/alt.os.windows2000 ,
read Message « Re: sample rate/pitch conversion issue - SOLVED! »
(from "Sven Holm" <[email protected]>,
posted Sun 14 Sep 2003 03:30:15 +0200.

(You can try correcting the 2 links, 1st to the Newsgroup 2nd to
the Message, by replacing the news server, "news.free.fr", with
any other news server that may host and maintain a replication
of that newsgroup, "alt.os.windows2000").

For the other messages I cited, they are much older (Dec 2002),
thus harder to find back genuinely through Outlook Express and a
news server, so Google Groups is better in that case.

Paris, Tue 21 Oct 2003 15:13:45 +0200