    quality result?

    Are there any basic convertors for method (2) you would recommend? Price
    is important.

    Gav, Jan 17, 2010

  2. Gav

    Steve Walker Guest

    Gav wrote:
    > AIUI there are two main methds to convert an audio cassette to a PC:
    >
    > (1) line out on cassette player ---->
    > (perhaps isolating transformer) --->
    > line in on PC
    >
    > (2) line out on cassette player --->
    > analog to digital convertor --->
    > USB port on PC
    >
    > Does the USB way in method (2) inherently produce a higher (or lower)
    > quality result?
    >
    > Are there any basic convertors for method (2) you would recommend? Price
    > is important.

    If price is important, use method 1 - a 3.5mm to 3.5mm mini-phono cable will
    cost about a quid, and the quality won't be any worse given that the source
    is a cassette.

    Steve Walker, Jan 17, 2010

  3. Gav

    Nil Guest

    On 17 Jan 2010, Grinder <> wrote in
    alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

    > It seems unreasonable to me that one method would /inherently/ be
    > better than the other. It all should depend on the quality of the
    > A2D converter -- either in a sound card or standalone.

    This is the correct answer.

    Nil, Jan 18, 2010
  4. Gav

    Rob Morley Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:39:07 -0000
    "Steve Walker" <> wrote:

    > If price is important, use method 1 - a 3.5mm to 3.5mm mini-phono
    > cable

    3.5mm is mini jack - phono is altogether different.

    Rob Morley, Jan 18, 2010
  5. Gav

    Bernard Peek Guest

    On 17/01/10 21:15, Gav wrote:
    > AIUI there are two main methds to convert an audio cassette to a PC:
    >
    > (1) line out on cassette player ---->
    > (perhaps isolating transformer) --->
    > line in on PC
    >
    > (2) line out on cassette player --->
    > analog to digital convertor --->
    > USB port on PC
    >
    > Does the USB way in method (2) inherently produce a higher (or lower)
    > quality result?

    No, because the limiting factor will be the quality of the recording on
    the tape. Any additional errors are likely to be negligible in comparison.

    --
    Bernard Peek

    Bernard Peek, Jan 18, 2010