Auction Section

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
QXL have approached us with the possibility of adding an aucion section to our site - what would you think of this?

It would be managed by them, but branded as us - and would have lots of hardware for sale.

Check www.qxl.com to see what is there at the moment. A few opinions would be good so I know if it is worthwhile adding :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep, gets my vote. :D

Anybody else got a view?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
QXL sent this mock-up of the page for an idea of what it should look like:

Attachments

• auction.gif
    auction.gif
    75.6 KB · Views: 251

muckshifter

Reaction score
WOW ... looks like PCR are hosting the whole show.

If it's free ... go for it. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd say OK, but I'm wondering:

It won't swamp the board with it's presence, will it? Would be OK if it was a selectable option and not permanently 'In your face'.

Is there any monetary gain for you Ian, it would be good if there was.

Um, that's about it really, all in all seems OK.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't worry, it wont swap the board at all :D

It will just be a link at the top of the page, like the "Reviews" and "Features" sections - so its pretty discrete, but there if needed.

QXL give us 1% of the whatever is the total cost of the item bought from users that signup through this site, they take 2%. In all honesty, I'm not sure if it will make much money at all - but if it does it would go to cover the new server costs if that comes (as we are starting to take up a lot of bandwidth), and would hopefully pay for the vBulletin liscensing fees :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'll second that motion.

All in favour ...

;)

Reaction score
oook

I'm kind of new here, so maybe you guys won't listen to me. Anyway, sounds like a very good idea, but i'm not sure that we want to turn pc review into some kind of Ebay, if you know what i mean.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hubert

...we listen to all members.

I doubt if it'll turn into another Ebay, but if it can give PCR an edge on other Forums then why not indeed give it a go. :)

Reaction score
I agree

This could make a lot of people come here , and make this site more popular , which is obviously good. But if this idea is accepted , i think it shouldn't be at least on the main apge, so it doesn't take up too much space.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ian Cunningham
.... if it does it would go to cover the new server costs if that comes (as we are starting to take up a lot of bandwidth), and would hopefully pay for the vBulletin licensing fees :D

I know that the licensing fees are pricey, let alone the idea of a new server. :roll:

From reading our member's posts, I have mixed views on the subject. I did recently come up with the idea myself, but was contemplating the various issues, including the fact it maybe used instead of the board. However, you did say "Don't worry, it wont swap the board at all", which is a reassurance. :)

I think we should give it a go and see if it gets used, which I hope it does. If not, then we could close it down, but I would rather not go down that path just yet. A poll would a good idea to see how many of our members would use it. If you get enough support for it then go for it, but if not I suggest that you leave the site as it is. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
QXL have gone all quiet now, so it doesn't look like its going to go ahead!

Ask a Question