ATX 1.3 vs 2.01

Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

ATX 2.03 = ATX12V 1.3?????????????????

HELP

please...

Kye

Reaction score
I think 2.01 only works on PCI-E boards. Otherwise, PSU's with PCI-E features tend to be backwards compatable to older motherboard power-thingy...

Otherwise, you need a new 755 intel board or PCI-E 939 board to have 2.01.

Reaction score
My Motherboard IS in fact PCI-E 939. I mean, can I use a ATX 1.3 with my PCI-E Geforce 6600GT?

Kye

Reaction score
I would think so. Most PSU's have a 20 to 24 adapter. Im pretty sure a PSU will support a PCI-e, but it will be at 1.3 if it does not support 2.01. Check the PSU website for there specs, they should give the info about the versions and compatability.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
The main thing with ATX 2 is that it has dual 12v rails instead of one (one for mobo and one for components) for more stable power to everything.

The thing to look for is if your pci-e card has a 6-pin pci-e or 4-ppin molex power connector, and simply choose the power supply with the appropriate connectors.

Some ATX12 v1.3 PSUs have PCI-e plugs on them, such as my Tagan TG480-U01 (highly recommended). Different PSU's have differing plug configurations, so just look around for one to suit your needs.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Recommended PSU's

I can also highly recommend Tagans newer TG480-U02 (same as U01 but is ATX12v2 compliant with a PCI-e connector),

or the Enermax Noisetaker Series (I'm currently testing 600w, which is ATX12v2 compliant, and has 2 PCI-e plugs),

or even FSP's 'Blue Storm' (500w, ATX12 v2, PCI-e plug, and its all blue!):cool:

Kye

Reaction score
I always thought the ATX versions had to be compatable with what the motherboard can support.

But since i figured that may not be the case, im a bit confused. So...a PSU has to be version 2.0 and up for duel 12v rail...but this will work with any motherboard?

I think i got confused, because since its the motherboard that handles how the power is worked, my mind clicked and thought there must be the compatability issues between power supply and mobo ^_^

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
The one issue you do have to look at with PSU's and mobo's is the motherboard power connector.
Until recently most desktop motherboards had a 20 pin power connector (and some servers had/have 24). Now new desktop mobos are making use of 24-pin power connector, so you need to make sure the PSU supports this (most new models do with either a 20+4pin plug, a 20pin to 24pin adapter, or a 24pin to 20pin adapter)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Kye,

Manufacturers don't like loosing sales/money ... so such things like new PSU which are ATX + ??? will work with any ATX system. Just don't buy an AT PSU. :p

Same as USB2 will work on a USB1.1 system. ;)

Reaction score
well, I can NOW say that my old PSU works on my new rig. The only problem is that under high loads it gets somewhat junky. As soon as I get grip on some munny II'll get myself a new one...

Thanks
:D

Ask a Question