Aten CS62DU KVM

Review Aten CS62DU KVM

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
floppybootstomp submitted a new article:

Aten CS62DU KVM - Aten CS62DU KVM

Introduction

In this article we’re going to take a look at a recently introduced two-way KVM switch, the CS62DU from a company named Aten. A KVM switch enables a user to use two or more computers with one Keyboard, Video Display and Mouse and in this instance, 2.1 Audio and a microphone.

This model has only recently been introduced and offers DVI & USB2 switching with audio between two computers. As far as I’m aware at time of writing this is the only model...

Read more about this article...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent review Flops, that's a much smaller unit than the KVM's I've used in the past. :)

In the bit where you say "Tapping twice on scroll lock and hitting enter does the basic switch", does it need any software to do this on the system or does the KVM unit detect this itself? Very clever stuff.

I would have been tempted by one of these a few weeks ago, but I've now moved by storage server to a NAS after reading a thread about them last week :lol: If I end up keeping it for something else, I might end up with one of these as it saves me having to use Remote Desktop (and losing the ability to play games etc...).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No software required, it just works.

Only requirement is both machines must be turned off from either the mains or PSU switch when you connect everything together.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I just came across this review for the Aten CS62DU KVM. I was excited to see that you tested it using a Logitech G15 and G5 mouse, but you didn't mention in detail if the G15 keyboard retained all of its functionality while hooked up to the KVM.

This has been a problem with the G15. Every KVM I have tried always converts the G15 into a regular "HID Keyboard" and I am not able to use the LCD, multimedia controls, or G keys. Do all of these functions work when using the CS62DU? If so, I can finally end my search for a good KVM, and get one with DVI to boot!

Also, have you tried running the KVM at 1920x1200 on any monitors? I've heard conflicting reports as to whether or not it's a supported digital resolution.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hi Nick.

Well well well, something I neglected to check. To be honest, it hadn't occured to me some functions may not work.

And the sad news is - the LCD display and the gaming buttons do not work through the KVM :(

All the media commands work inc the volume control with Nero 8 Showtime, Media Centre (Vista Home Premium); and Windows Media Centre. But only the volume control works in latest version of Winamp.

The profiler 'Configure' command box is greyed out and the gaming commands no longer work.

The Windows Button mute function still works as does the illuminated keys settings.

And that, I'm afraid, is the bad news.

Speaking personally I wish now I'd gone for the G11 keyboard (without LCD display) as I found the LCD display distracting and I never used it.

I do use the media controls and I only rarely used the gaming command keys. But I'm still a bit miffed not to have the use of them.

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings solema but thanks for bringing that matter to my attention.

Reaction score
Well that's certainly a bummer! I find myself using the LCD a lot for seeing what my volume level is at and the date and time. I also keep tabs of my CPU usage since IE7 sometimes likes to eat one of my CPU cores.

Can you update your review to reflect these discoveries? I know there are a TON of G15 users out there just like me trying to find a fully-compatible KVM.

I appreciate you checking it out and promptly responding.

Nick

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, I'll tend to that, although there is a link from the article to this forum thread.

Give me a day or so and I'll amend it to reflect the KVM's inability to use all of the G15's functions.

Reaction score
Thanks! And I'll continue my search for a G15-compatible KVM. If I find one I'll post back here!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just to cover all bases, all the G5 mouse functions work through the KVM, just checked it out.

Reaction score
At least that's a start. Wait a sec. I have an idea. According to the instructions, you can share other USB devices if you add a hub to the black USB connector, right? If so, then I would assume the black connector acts as more of a "straight-through" connector instead of emulating an HID Keyboard. Can you try hooking up the G15 to the black connector instead of the purple keyboard connector and see if it works that way?

If I can get this KVM and a USB hub and have both the mouse and keyboard plugged into the black connector working then I'd be all over this! Even if the KVM won't be able to interpret the hotkey commands through the black USB port as long as the remote button still works I'd be set!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Partial sucess, sortta.

Swapped USB ports and the Logitech LCD display showed the clock but wasn't scrolling through the other functions. I think this may be because I had it set to show clock only though, I can't recall. Like I said, I don't use the LCD display.

Unfortunately the mouse doesn't work through the dedicated USB keyboard port.

And without the mouse working I couldn't really test the gaming macros.

It may be worth experimenting with a USB hub plugged straight into the black (mouse) port but I don't have a USB port here at the moment.

I'm wondering if both the keyboard and mouse were plugged into a USB hub, they'd both work as they should do and the KVM would still function normally?

I'm also wondering whether you'd lose the keyboard switching commands.

Sorry can't be of more help atm, but without a USB hub there's little I can do and besides, it's that chill time of evening, time for a little CoD4 online :D

I will return to this topic.

Reaction score
Were you able to try the keyboard switching commands with just the keyboard plugged into the black port? Did they work still? And I didn't figure the mouse would work in the keyboard port since it's emulating an HID Keyboard. If the keyboard commands still work with the G15 in the black port and the clock displays, then I think I'll get one of these and take my chances with a USB hub on the black port.

Thanks again,
Nick

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you mean all the QWERTY keys, yes, they worked, I had to type in a password to enter Vista.

Reaction score
I meant, does "scroll lock, scroll lock, enter" work to switch machines with the keyboard plugged into the black port?

You mentioned you were not sure if it would work through a hub but you didn't say if it worked with the G15 plugged directly into the black port.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
From my post above:

floppybootstomp said:
I'm wondering if both the keyboard and mouse were plugged into a USB hub, they'd both work as they should do and the KVM would still function normally?

So no, I didn't check the switching function through the keyboard.

And for this evening, that's an end for testing for me :)

I will very likely get me's a USB hub and experiment further with this.

It's a shame the G15's USB ports are only USB 1 otherwise I could plug the G15 into the black connector then plug the G5 into the keyboard :D

Well, it's a thought....

Reaction score
I forgot you're in the UK! I look forward to an update when you're able to either try the keyboard shortcuts directly or through a USB hub! If either of those tests work then I'll be ordering one of these ASAP!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Today I tried a four port USB hub, plugged it into the black mouse socket then plugged the mouse & keyboard into the hub.

I started machine 1 (the one listed in my sig) but machine 2 refused to boot.

I removed the hub and both machines booted fine. Brief specs of machine 2:

Asus M2V board/AMD AM2 4000 2.6Ghz single core CPU/2Gb OCZ 6400 memory/Nvidia 7300GS 512Mb video card.

With just machine 1 running and both peripherals connected to the hub the keyboard's gaming macro functions worked and so did all the multimedia controls but again, not with Winamp.

The LCD display switched between the clock display and the CPU/memory usage display but did not display any other modes, so it still wasn't working 100%.

The switching commands on the keyboard worked.

And as I mentioned, machine 2 just wouldn't boot, it hung at the POST screen.

So there you go, somewhat disappointing, really.

I have amended the text content of my review article to show these drawbacks.

Reaction score
So close! It's one of those times where I wish a local store carried this KVM so I could try it out and return it if it doesn't work enough for me. I hate returning things bought online.

Ask a Question