Asus Shows Off First K8 Board

Reaction score
Asus showed off their K8M, the first motherboard compatible with the K8 (Clawhammer). It features Socket754, 2 DIMM slots supporting DDR266/DDR333 SDRAM, 5 PCI and 1 AGP Pro slot supporting AGP 3.0/8x.

The motherboard uses the AMD-8000 chipset, which features the AMD-8151 AGP tunnel and AMD-8111 I/O tunnel. Other interesting things to note are that it supports USB 2.0, Firewire, ATA133, SerialATA 150 and 10/100 Ethernet.

<center>
</center>

You'll also notice that Asus has addressed some complaints that people made about the A7V266 and A7V333. There is much more space around the CPU socket (due to the easier trace from HyperTransport, maybe?). The DIMM slots were also moved further away from both the CPU socket and the AGP slot, which should make for easier installations of all.

Please note that the board was marked revision 1.0, which means this is pretty much production material, so Asus is ready for Hammer. I'm happy to see that they're following Abit's lead in integrating Ethernet onboard, as it's just another thing to clutter your PCI slots. Looks like a nice board, and I'm sure it'll be a good performer as all Asus boards tend to be.

Attachments

• k8m.jpg
    k8m.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 3,812

Ask a Question