    while starting doesn't do anything. The screen stays black without a
    single digit. The only thing I hear is a fan starting and a click.
    What can I do?

    AN, Sep 1, 2010

  2. AN

    Y. Soserious Guest

    Contact ASUS support.

    Y. Soserious, Sep 1, 2010

  3. AN <> wrote in

    > My 3 year old ASUS A7M wide screen laptop won't start.
    > When pushing the button it appears to start up for 3 sec and then
    > immeadiately shuts down. Vista is not close to start up. Pushing
    > F-keys while starting doesn't do anything. The screen stays black
    > without a single digit. The only thing I hear is a fan starting
    > and a click. What can I do?

    Charge the battery.
    Make sure your charger is working.

    -- John

    John Wunderlich, Sep 1, 2010
  4. AN

    SC Tom Guest

    "AN" <> wrote in message
    > My 3 year old ASUS A7M wide screen laptop won't start.
    > When pushing the button it appears to start up for 3 sec and then
    > immeadiately shuts down. Vista is not close to start up. Pushing F-keys
    > while starting doesn't do anything. The screen stays black without a
    > single digit. The only thing I hear is a fan starting and a click.
    > What can I do?

    Does it do the same when plugged in? Can you be sure the AC adaptor is good,
    and/or the battery is charged?
    After you hear the 'click,' does the fan continue to run? If so, it very
    well may be a bad hard drive.
    --
    SC Tom
    -There's no such thing as TMI when asking for tech support.

    SC Tom, Sep 1, 2010
  5. AN

    VanguardLH Guest

    AN wrote:

    > My 3 year old ASUS A7M wide screen laptop won't start. When pushing
    > the button it appears to start up for 3 sec and then immeadiately
    > shuts down. Vista is not close to start up. Pushing F-keys while
    > starting doesn't do anything. The screen stays black without a single
    > digit. The only thing I hear is a fan starting and a click. What can
    > I do?

    Go see replies in the other newsgroups to which you MULTI-posted the
    SAME message. Because you did not cross-post means you will have to
    track replies in every newsgroup to which you separately multi-posted.
    Cross-post so respondents don't end up duplicating what others have
    already said. Learn to cross-post:

    Since the OS is not coming up or even getting loaded, this is not an
    appropriate newsgroup for your problem. It isn't an OS issue because
    the OS isn't even getting loaded. You have a hardware problem. Go look
    at replies to your post in the hardware groups to which you multi-
    posted.

    VanguardLH, Sep 1, 2010
  6. On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 16:37:16 +0200, AN wrote:

    > My 3 year old ASUS A7M wide screen laptop won't start. When pushing the
    > button it appears to start up for 3 sec and then immeadiately shuts
    > down. Vista is not close to start up. Pushing F-keys while starting
    > doesn't do anything. The screen stays black without a single digit. The
    > only thing I hear is a fan starting and a click. What can I do?

    Remove the battery and hook up the A/C power supply, power up and
    see if you can get into BIOS: Press and hold the Delete key (sometimes
    it's the Esc instead). If you get no display or the system continues to
    quit after 3 secs., you probably have a hardware problem.

    Also, you can try to boot from any Windows Install CD or a Linux LiveCD.
    If neither will work, then most likely it's hardware. Contact Asus
    Customer Service, first, before going to a computer repair tech.

    Stef

    Stefan Patric, Sep 1, 2010