ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE upgrade BIOS to 1016

Discussion in 'Asus Motherboards' started by pc, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. pc

    pc Guest

    I am totally bewildered by the latest ASUS BIOS download for the ASUS
    A8N-SLI DELUXE.

    I download the BIOS. Great. What flash tool? It implies I need
    awadflash.exe v1.14, but that's not to be found. I have ASUS update
    V6.10.02 installed, I'll try that. But first....

    It instructs me to update chipset drivers to V6.65 or later. Great. I
    download and expand the zip file. It's got 10 files called
    MAKEDISK.EXE in it. Jesus.

    So, I'm running XP 32 bit. That narrows it down to two files with
    PATARAID and SATARAID in the names. What do I nead PATARAID for? Does
    the IDE interface support RAID? News to me.

    I run the programs and make floppies. The download page says the OS is
    DOS. Since the source is called MAKEDISK.exe I assume it will make a
    bootable floppy. NOT.

    What in the blazes am I spoda do with these things???? Put them on a
    DOS bootable disc? That's easy, but at this point I'm not comfortable
    going any further because the damn instructions are sooooo cryptic.
    What's wrong with these people?

    Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

    pc

    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

    Following is from the ASUS download site:

    Version 1016 2005/12/21update

    OS DOS

    Description A8N-SLI Deluxe Bios version 1016
    Please do read the description before updating BIOS
    To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver to
    below version prior to this Bios.
    For WinXP 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers
    V6.65 or later
    For WinXP 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers
    V6.65 or later
    For Win2k/2003 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers
    V6.66 or later
    For Win2003 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers
    V6.66 or later
    1- Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:
    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    2- Update awdflash.exe to v1.14
    3- Remove 2.88MB floppy item value

    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

    Here's the contents of the floppy that sataraid makedisc builds:

    12/21/2004 05:19 PM 5 disk1
    05/17/2005 05:45 PM 300,032 idecoi.dll
    05/31/2005 01:11 AM 9,341 nvata.cat
    05/17/2005 05:45 PM 92,800 nvatabus.sys
    05/14/2005 02:56 PM 32,768 nvcoi.dll
    04/22/2005 02:35 AM 5,194 nvide.nvu
    05/24/2005 01:15 PM 5,182 nvraid.inf
    05/17/2005 05:45 PM 76,288 nvraid.sys
    05/17/2005 05:45 PM 19,456 nvraidco.dll
    05/14/2005 02:56 PM 176,128 nvuide.exe
    05/17/2005 05:43 PM 4,701 txtsetup.oem

    pc, Jan 2, 2006

  2. pc

    imdone2 Guest

    pc wrote:
    > I am totally bewildered by the latest ASUS BIOS download for the ASUS
    > A8N-SLI DELUXE.
    >
    > I download the BIOS. Great. What flash tool? It implies I need
    > awadflash.exe v1.14, but that's not to be found. I have ASUS update
    > V6.10.02 installed, I'll try that. But first....
    >
    > It instructs me to update chipset drivers to V6.65 or later. Great. I
    > download and expand the zip file. It's got 10 files called
    > MAKEDISK.EXE in it. Jesus.
    >
    > So, I'm running XP 32 bit. That narrows it down to two files with
    > PATARAID and SATARAID in the names. What do I nead PATARAID for? Does
    > the IDE interface support RAID? News to me.
    >
    > I run the programs and make floppies. The download page says the OS is
    > DOS. Since the source is called MAKEDISK.exe I assume it will make a
    > bootable floppy. NOT.
    >
    > What in the blazes am I spoda do with these things???? Put them on a
    > DOS bootable disc? That's easy, but at this point I'm not comfortable
    > going any further because the damn instructions are sooooo cryptic.
    > What's wrong with these people?
    >
    > Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > pc
    >
    > @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    >

    > Following is from the ASUS download site:
    >
    > Version 1016 2005/12/21update
    >
    > OS DOS
    >
    > Description A8N-SLI Deluxe Bios version 1016
    > Please do read the description before updating BIOS
    > To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver to
    > below version prior to this Bios.
    > For WinXP 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers
    > V6.65 or later
    > For WinXP 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers
    > V6.65 or later
    > For Win2k/2003 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers
    > V6.66 or later
    > For Win2003 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers
    > V6.66 or later
    > 1- Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:
    > http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    > 2- Update awdflash.exe to v1.14
    > 3- Remove 2.88MB floppy item value
    >
    > @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    >
    > Here's the contents of the floppy that sataraid makedisc builds:
    >
    > 12/21/2004 05:19 PM 5 disk1
    > 05/17/2005 05:45 PM 300,032 idecoi.dll
    > 05/31/2005 01:11 AM 9,341 nvata.cat
    > 05/17/2005 05:45 PM 92,800 nvatabus.sys
    > 05/14/2005 02:56 PM 32,768 nvcoi.dll
    > 04/22/2005 02:35 AM 5,194 nvide.nvu
    > 05/24/2005 01:15 PM 5,182 nvraid.inf
    > 05/17/2005 05:45 PM 76,288 nvraid.sys
    > 05/17/2005 05:45 PM 19,456 nvraidco.dll
    > 05/14/2005 02:56 PM 176,128 nvuide.exe
    > 05/17/2005 05:43 PM 4,701 txtsetup.oem

    Try: ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/AWDFLASH114.zip

    imdone2, Jan 2, 2006

  3. pc

    milleron Guest

    On 1 Jan 2006 19:34:23 -0800, "pc" <> wrote:

    >I am totally bewildered by the latest ASUS BIOS download for the ASUS
    >A8N-SLI DELUXE.
    >
    >I download the BIOS. Great. What flash tool? It implies I need
    >awadflash.exe v1.14, but that's not to be found. I have ASUS update
    >V6.10.02 installed, I'll try that. But first....
    >
    >It instructs me to update chipset drivers to V6.65 or later. Great. I
    >download and expand the zip file. It's got 10 files called
    >MAKEDISK.EXE in it. Jesus.
    >
    >So, I'm running XP 32 bit. That narrows it down to two files with
    >PATARAID and SATARAID in the names. What do I nead PATARAID for? Does
    >the IDE interface support RAID? News to me.
    >
    >I run the programs and make floppies. The download page says the OS is
    >DOS. Since the source is called MAKEDISK.exe I assume it will make a
    >bootable floppy. NOT.
    >
    >What in the blazes am I spoda do with these things???? Put them on a
    >DOS bootable disc? That's easy, but at this point I'm not comfortable
    >going any further because the damn instructions are sooooo cryptic.
    >What's wrong with these people?
    >
    >Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >pc
    >
    >@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    >

    >Following is from the ASUS download site:
    >
    >Version 1016 2005/12/21update
    >
    >OS DOS
    >
    >Description A8N-SLI Deluxe Bios version 1016
    >Please do read the description before updating BIOS
    >To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver to
    >below version prior to this Bios.
    >For WinXP 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers
    >V6.65 or later
    >For WinXP 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers
    >V6.65 or later
    >For Win2k/2003 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers
    >V6.66 or later
    >For Win2003 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers
    >V6.66 or later
    >1- Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:
    >http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    >2- Update awdflash.exe to v1.14
    >3- Remove 2.88MB floppy item value
    >
    >@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    >
    >Here's the contents of the floppy that sataraid makedisc builds:
    >
    >12/21/2004 05:19 PM 5 disk1
    >05/17/2005 05:45 PM 300,032 idecoi.dll
    >05/31/2005 01:11 AM 9,341 nvata.cat
    >05/17/2005 05:45 PM 92,800 nvatabus.sys
    >05/14/2005 02:56 PM 32,768 nvcoi.dll
    >04/22/2005 02:35 AM 5,194 nvide.nvu
    >05/24/2005 01:15 PM 5,182 nvraid.inf
    >05/17/2005 05:45 PM 76,288 nvraid.sys
    >05/17/2005 05:45 PM 19,456 nvraidco.dll
    >05/14/2005 02:56 PM 176,128 nvuide.exe
    >05/17/2005 05:43 PM 4,701 txtsetup.oem

    The nVidia platform driver you should have downloaded from nVidia
    comes with a setup program that you run from within Windows XP. These
    are basically Windows drivers and programs that canNOT be run from a
    boot floppy, and there's certainly no reason I can think of to
    transfer them to floppies.
    If you start your download here
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.70.html , you
    should get the EXE file that you can run without unzipping. Assuming
    that you want the English-language version, the current file is
    "nForce4_amd_6.70_winxp2k_english.exe."

    You mentioned that you were looking for "awadflash.exe." I think
    hat's a typo, and that may have been why you couldn't find it. The
    actual file you search for is "awdflash.exe." That said, with this
    motherboard, you don't need an external flash utility because there's
    one built into the BIOS -- EZ Flash -- that works perfectly. During
    POST, just enter ALT+F2 to launch it. You then just need to insert a
    floppy with the downloaded BIOS file and follow the prompts. This
    floppy needn't be bootable and you need nothing on it other than the
    BIOS file. In other words, awdflash.exe is an acceptable way to flash
    your BIOS, but it's not necessary, and I would recommend using EZ
    Flash, instead.

    Asus is pretty explicit with the advice to upgrade the chipset driver
    to a version of 6.65 or later BEFORE flashing the latest BIOS versions
    in order to avoid file-system corruption.

    Ron

    milleron, Jan 2, 2006
  4. pc

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, "pc"
    <> wrote:

    > I am totally bewildered by the latest ASUS BIOS download for the ASUS
    > A8N-SLI DELUXE.
    >
    > I download the BIOS. Great. What flash tool? It implies I need
    > awadflash.exe v1.14, but that's not to be found. I have ASUS update
    > V6.10.02 installed, I'll try that. But first....

    Have a look here. The FTP directories use the same path structure as
    the Support/Download page, and that can give you a few hints as to where
    to look for stuff. You might also explore your motherboard CD, as there
    can be some interesting files on there that may not be obvious if you use
    the interface that appears when you load the CD into the drive. It is better
    to access these tools from a Download page, as there can be warnings
    associated with downloadable tools, and just getting them from an
    FTP link means you won't see those warnings.

    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/

    > It instructs me to update chipset drivers to V6.65 or later. Great. I
    > download and expand the zip file. It's got 10 files called
    > MAKEDISK.EXE in it. Jesus.

    Makedisk is used to make a floppy disk, for the F6 "install driver" stage
    of a Windows install. If you are updating the drivers on an existing
    install, the 30MB full installer might be a better choice. The 30MB
    installer likely has an InstallShield to do the job for you. (In these
    days of bloated universal installers, you'd be amazed how much of these
    downloads simply isn't necessary. I was on a dialup modem over the
    holidays and basically I couldn't repair squat on the computer I was
    on, due to the "bloat" issue. Some of these installers have support for
    like 20 languages, and an installer 1/20th the size, for a specific
    language, would be a pleasant alternative.)

    You could likely copy one of the folders from the 30MB download, onto
    a floppy disk, and not use the Makedisk. That is if you needed to do
    an F6 during Windows install or repair install.

    I had a quick look and you're right. I cannot find docs to help you
    understand what to do with a Makedisk executable. And going around
    double clicking files until something happens is not exactly a clever
    way to use computers - they should have included a quick note to go
    with the download.

    > So, I'm running XP 32 bit. That narrows it down to two files with
    > PATARAID and SATARAID in the names. What do I nead PATARAID for? Does
    > the IDE interface support RAID? News to me.

    Nvidia is getting better at listing and explaining features on their
    chipsets. Down at the bottom of this page, it mentions that their
    RAID functions can span PATA + SATA disks. I've never read any
    experiences in this group, mixing the two, so don't know whether
    it works well or not.

    http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20041015917263.html

    > I run the programs and make floppies. The download page says the OS is
    > DOS. Since the source is called MAKEDISK.exe I assume it will make a
    > bootable floppy. NOT.
    >
    > What in the blazes am I spoda do with these things???? Put them on a
    > DOS bootable disc? That's easy, but at this point I'm not comfortable
    > going any further because the damn instructions are sooooo cryptic.
    > What's wrong with these people?

    The floppy you made, would be best if installing the OS for the first
    time, or if you were doing a repair install to a disk moved from another
    computer to this new motherboard.

    I really recommend using the full (30MB) installer, just in case it
    gives you an "Add/Remove" option for the list of installed software
    on your computer. If you ever needed to back out, having InstallShield
    clean up the mess is better than getting in there with a screwdriver
    and trying to fix it by hand.

    Generally speaking, if a folder has a .INF file in it, double clicking
    on that may install whatever is in the directory. (At least I've had
    that experience on one of my older Windows machines.) But some installer
    directories have multiple .INF files, and figuring out what they do
    is a painful way to do things. I think you can also go to Device Manager
    and request to update a driver for a device in there, then point
    Windows to the folder containing the .INF file. Using a proper installer
    is a lot better than either of those options.

    > Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > pc

    <<snipped the file list>>

    HTH,
    Paul