aspnet_regiis.exe -i fails in windows server 2008

Discussion in 'Microsoft ASP .NET' started by anbaesivam, Mar 16, 2009.

  1. anbaesivam

    anbaesivam Guest

    OS: Windows Server 2008

    When I try to install ASP.NET using the command "aspnet_regiis.exe -i", the
    installation closes with the following message

    ------------
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: aspnetca.exe
    Application Version: 7.0.6001.18000
    Application Timestamp: 47918bb9
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Fault Module Timestamp: 47919464
    Exception Code: 80000003
    Exception Offset: 0003480c
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.274.10
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 3431
    Additional Information 2: e3cbd217e60838f494bdf056c9f0760a
    Additional Information 3: 7e5d
    Additional Information 4: fa31a74e8228a8fbb6b5a733018b19fc
    -------------------------

    Kindly help me how to resolve this issue.

    anbaesivam, Mar 16, 2009

  2. Hi,

    Which version of ASP.NET are you installing? You can refer to the following
    article to learn how to install ASP.NET on Windows 2008:

    http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/472/how-to-install-aspnet-11-with-iis7-on-vis
    ta-and-windows-2008/

    If it still doesn't work, could you check the event logs to see if you can
    get any information there?

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    .

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Mar 17, 2009

  3. anbaesivam

    anbaesivam Guest

    I tried to install ASP.NET version 2.0.

    In the event viewer, following message is given

    <snip from Message given in General Tab>
    Faulting application aspnetca.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, time stamp
    0x47918bb9, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp
    0x47919464, exception code 0x80000003, fault offset 0x0003480c, process id
    0x964, application start time 0x01c9a6bab412e970.
    <snip end>

    <snip message shown in Detail Tab>
    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <EventRecordID>612</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>rlab-2k8.rlab.local</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>aspnetca.exe</Data>
    <Data>7.0.6001.18000</Data>
    <Data>47918bb9</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.0.6001.18000</Data>
    <Data>47919464</Data>
    <Data>80000003</Data>
    <Data>0003480c</Data>
    <Data>964</Data>
    <Data>01c9a6bab412e970</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>
    <snip>

    anbaesivam, Mar 17, 2009
  4. Allen Chen [MSFT], Mar 17, 2009
  5. anbaesivam

    anbaesivam Guest

    The given URL is for installing ASP.net ver 1.1. But I want to install
    ASp.Net 2.0.

    anbaesivam, Mar 17, 2009
  6. Hi,

    In the first paragraph it shows how to install ASP.NET 2.0.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Mar 17, 2009
  7. anbaesivam

    anbaesivam Guest

    Yes, I know that how to install ASP.NET 2.0 through IIS.

    My application need ASP.net 2.0. So, when my application is installed, the
    Windows installer will execute "aspnet_regiis -i" to install asp.net 2.0.

    Please let me know is there is any other method to install asp.net 2.0
    programmatically using c#.

    anbaesivam, Mar 17, 2009
  8. Since you're using Windows 2008/IIS 7.0, you no longer need to use aspnet_regiis
    to set the .Net Framework version you want your application to run against.

    What you do in IIS 7 is set the runtime version for the Application Pool your app will run in.

    That makes much more sense than using aspnet_regiis since all IIS processes
    within the same Application Pool must run the same version of the .Net Framework.

    You can do that in the IIS Manager's User Interface or, programmatically, you need to :

    1. Use appcmd.exe to create/configure your IIS website,
    application, application pool, and/or virtual directory.

    This article gives you the basics :

    http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/114/getting-started-with-appcmdexe/

    2. Set the managed runtime version property for the
    Application Pool your application is going to be running under.

    This blog entry tells you how to do that.
    There's a C# sample which uses the Microsoft.Web.Administration class there.

    I'd also recommend that you download/install the Windows 2008 SDK :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A4-741A-433A-9BE5-FA919850BDBF&displaylang=en

    There's tons of very useful IIS 7.0 samples in it.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    =========================

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 17, 2009
  9. re:
    !> 2. Set the managed runtime version property for the
    !> Application Pool your application is going to be running under.
    !> This blog entry tells you how to do that.
    !> There's a C# sample which uses the Microsoft.Web.Administration class there.

    Oops, forgot to include the link.

    Here it is...

    http://blogs.iis.net/tobintitus/arc...-version-of-an-application-pool-in-iis-7.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 18, 2009