Arrrrrrrrrrrggg!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Installation' started by John, Jul 22, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Upgrading from hp mediacenter xp to vista.
    Got "Computer restarted unexpectedly" error (See my message in this site)

    It said to re-boot, start over.

    I did... then it said, "To install you must install from a previous
    version of xp.

    Of course, I can't install from a previous version because the install
    process has destroyed that... so now I'm left with a no system, a
    useless computer and a useless install disk.

    When I go through "repair" it says it can't find anything wrong.

    This is just SOOO like Microsoft. It makes me wonder why I go through
    this year after year with them. It is some sort of self torture wish or
    something.

    John

    John, Jul 22, 2007

  2. How to Install or Reinstall Windows Vista
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e77344fa-e978-464c-953e-eba44f0522671033.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Jul 22, 2007

  3. John

    John Guest

    John, Jul 22, 2007
  4. John

    Kerry Brown Guest

    Restore from your backup and start again. If you don't have a backup then
    you will have to boot from a live Linux CD and copy your data to a CD/DVD or
    USB device then restore to the factory setup using the HP restore procedure
    and start from scratch.

    Here are some tips for ensuring the upgrade goes smoothly.

    1) Backup your PC.
    2) Back it up again.
    3) Test your backups.

    If you skip the above steps please don't whine that the upgrade trashed all
    your files. Any process that involves this many changes to the file system
    is fraught with danger.

    4) Run the latest version of the Upgrade Advisor and note anything it flags.
    5) Uninstall (not disable) all antivirus, antispyware, firewall, disk
    utility, and system utility programs even if the upgrade advisor doesn't
    mention them. You will need to install Vista compatible versions after the
    upgrade is finished.
    6) Uninstall (not disable) all programs that the upgrade advisor flags as
    possible problems. You will need to install Vista compatible versions after
    the upgrade is finished.
    7) If possible remove all hardware that the upgrade advisor flags as
    incompatible.
    8) Make sure you have Vista compatible drivers and software for all your
    hardware devices burned to CD. Don't just look for drivers that the upgrade
    advisor mentioned. If possible have drivers ready for everything.
    9) Physically unplug any external devices like portable hard drives,
    printers, card readers, flash drives, cameras, etc..
    10) Run a chkdsk on all the partitions on all hard drives still connected.
    11) Defrag the system and boot partitions.
    12) Start the Vista upgrade process.

    --
    Kerry Brown
    Microsoft MVP - Shell/User