Are you wasting food?

Reaction score
An interesting article.

Yes, I do keep Eggs AND Bread in the Fridge
(I have had many a discussion concerning this)
Oh, Bananas too!!!

The food myths that are costing you: The truth about sell-by dates, what you can freeze and more

Myths and misconceptions are costing us almost £300 a year in food that's chucked for no good reason – these are the facts about what you can and can't keep

We're throwing 10% of our food in the bin, as fruit, veg, meat and more go off before we get a chance to eat it – and that's before we we start talking about leftovers from finished meals.

An average of nine items of fruit and veg and two meat, bread or dairy items are thrown out of each household, each week.

And that's costing us. Figures from ao.com show this waste adds up to an average of £5.48 a week – that's £284.96 a year.

But it doesn't have to be this way. Especially as a lot of the waste comes as a result of simple misconceptions.

How much food is chucked by Brits each year
353m
Litres of milk

Tonnes of potatoes

Tonnes of bread

The first thing to know is exactly what is and isn't fit to eat. There's no point letting a misconception cost you perfectly edible food.

Firstly – this is what the labels REALLY mean:

Best Before: Foods with a 'best before' date should be safe to eat after the 'best before' date, but they may no longer be at their best.

Use by: These dates refer to safety. Food can be eaten up to the end of this date but not after even if it looks and smells fine.

Sell by/Display until: These dates are for shop staff not for shoppers. Ignore entirely.

And if you fancy saving some money, there are ways to save up to 70% by buying things that are past or near their sell-by, but still withing their use-by date. This is where to find them and what to watch out for.

After that, there are a lot of misconceptions about where things should be stored – for example, bread actually goes stale FASTER in the fridge and there's no point putting eggs in there either.

Other things you can keep out without any fear of them going off include HP sauce, jam and potatoes – and that just frees up space for the things that can really benefit from cold storage.

Do you keep your bread in the fridge?

So, will it keep?
The next thing is to know what you can and can't freeze. In a lot of cases something that goes off when fresh can either be frozen when it's close to its expiry or frozen immediately and defrosted as and when needed.

Cheese, milk, mushrooms, rice, yogurt, cream and mashed potato can all be frozen. Don't forget bread, either. Sliced bread can be kept in the freezer, then used as needed – massively extending its working life. Oh - and here are 5 ways to use up leftover bread so it doesn't go to waste.

Eggs can be frozen too – just not in their shells. If you crack them, then beat them you can freeze the liquid for use later.

What's more, you CAN re-freeze meat after it's been defrosted. Just make sure it's cooked through between the first and second freezing.

In fact, there are any number of things that might be better off in the freezer than the bin – from leftover baked beans to browning bananas.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't waste food!!

I make a lot of what I eat, even my own bread. I pursue out-of-date items like lamb, knowing full well I have several days of 'shelf life' in the item still.

Bread and eggs in the fridge? :rolleyes:

I have to be thrifty, my employer, HM Government, are stingy with my wages. :)

Reaction score
Yep especially bread. It lasts much longer

Oh just a point, why do your think they put eggs tray/holders in fridges?

Hmmmmm? I wonder?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I am on medication for BPD which makes me constantly hungry which in turn makes e gain weight. So now I prepare meals in advance which works out to 8 medium sized meals a day which get stuck in the deep freeze. So now instead of scoffing on the first thing I see I go to the deep freeze and get out a meal and warm it up. No food wasted and save a few quid as well.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Bread in the Fridge

because it actually goes stale faster than if left in a bread bin ... fact!

eggs in a fridge ... well it will help prevent Salmonella poisoning, however, the little Lion stamp is a sort of guarantee that the hens that laid the eggs are relatively Salmonella free of the disease ... me, I'm immune to Salmonella poisoning due partly to the fact I have never bought a fridge with an egg shelf and have always just leave them in their box on a shelf in the kitchen. :p me eggs don't usually last very long anyway.

Buy a proper 'larder' fridge!

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I make a lot of what I eat, even my own bread.

Hey, me too! Mayhaps we should promote the idea of "DIY bread".

As for bread in the fridge... why? I mean... no matter how you store your bread, it does not improve with age (sourdough rye being one exeption). But starch retrogradation (i.e. starch molecules crystallize, not good at all) occurs most rapidly at refrigerator temperatures (ca. +5 °C).

I store my bread in room temperature, in tightly closed plastic bags ("fruit bags"). Again, sourdough full rye is the exception — paper bag is more suitable for rye bread.

Freezing: slice the bread(s) you intend to freeze as soon as they have cooled enough so that they can be sliced. Place into plastic bags. Freeze. Yummy. "Oven fresh" even after many moons.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Never waste any food by putting it in the bin as all waste goes on the compost heap.

Too lazy to make me own bread the trad way so I use a breadmaker with those one pack bread mixes. the Aldi and Sainsbury's ones are the best so far.

Re freeze frozen meat. yucky.
Frozen white sliced bread,,, you must be having a laugh.

Do not know how it is in big towns but here if you shop at Morrisons at 7.45pm Daily or 3.45pm Sunday you can live like a king on yellow sticker stuff.

In autumn, winter and spring I make up huge potfulls of mince, stews, casseroles and soups and put one person portions in the freezer.
Last few years I have made shepherds pies in those ally containers and they go straight from freezer to oven,they defrost and cook great an all I need to cook are a few veg.Trick is to put the frozen meal in the oven and then turn the oven on.I only have a small calor gas cooker that takes an age to warm up so by the time the oven is hot the meal has almost defrosted. Dead quick and easy, an healthy too.

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I actually waste quite a lot of food.

Not really by choice but by experimentation. You see, if I try something that's new to me since I entered this altered state then I really don't know whether I'll be able to manage to consume it.

Not much fun really :(

Still, it's better than being dead :)

I also do what the Barbaric one does, make large pots of casseroles, stews and hearty soups and freeze individual portions. Quite economical if somewhat dull on occasions.

You people will probably never realise what a luxury it is to be able to enjoy some foods.

But yes, I waste food. Can't help it though and it's not by choice.

Reaction score
EVERYONEwill waste food this Christmas time with panic buying all because shops are closed for 1 day only.
Go on watch shoppers piling their baskets/trolleys full of food, panic buying is only good for the shops.

There said my bit, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong but I am right!!

Reaction score
I've never thought about freezing eggs :blush: Good to know, thanks!
Awareness is a huge factor! Since I've heard of the problem, I am more conscious when buying food.

Reaction score
Sainsburys for examply put all the straight carrots in to the expensive range and the bent ones that are not perfect to their basic range, this is still good veg but not looking normally straight, I buy basic as once cooked who cares if its not straight?

And since buy my nurti bullet machine was its all liquidised its all the same.
Made some great homemade soups and enough for 1 or 2 with no waste.

We all waste food its that simple but we can do something about it.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Just chucked out a carton of brandy sauce, unopened, which was bought for Xmas. :eek:

We don't waste everything though. When my daughter comes home she often makes her famous Rotting Vegetable Soup which is quite edible. :D

Reaction score
Just chucked out a carton of brandy sauce, unopened, which was bought for Xmas. :eek:

We don't waste everything though. When my daughter comes home she often makes her famous Rotting Vegetable Soup which is quite edible. :D
We have been known to give to a local pig farmer, once with all the left overs of xmas we wondered if it would effect the piggies, farmer just said if it did the manure would be stronger for a few days!!!

Reaction score
Sainsburys for examply put all the straight carrots in to the expensive range and the bent ones that are not perfect to their basic range
That's a good start. Other supermarkets should do the same! And also expand it to different types of vegetables and fruits. (Btw, Do you recoomend the nutri bullet machine?)

And lol at the stronger manure xD

Reaction score
I don't think, I'm putting food to waste most of the time. I always make it a point to turn whatever food left we have into something new with a great selection of leftover recipes or rather my own recipe with a touch of creativity.

Ask a Question