Are you an Artist?

Reaction score
I'm going to get back to painting & try to get some of my work shown.
I've given 2 paintings to friends & my folks have one hanging at home.

So does anyone else paint & i dont mean painting the house/walls!

Reaction score
well I don't paint as in the kind of painting you mean...But I suppose in a way my graphic design is an art form of its own..And I have a fare collection of some of the image manipulation I have done when the cafine has got to my brain...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I imagine being a p*** artist doesn't count either. :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm terrible at drawing/painting (really, really bad!) so I can give a resouding no to that one :lol:

Bex on the other hand is quite artistic when she has the time :) Her dad is really good at painting, and we've got some his work :thumb:

Would love to see some of your work Feckit if you don't mind showing your paintings :bow:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have never been artistically gifted though not for want of trying.

But recently Lidls were selling loads of artists materials cheap so I bought a wooden easel; palette; brushes; paints and a water jar thingie with paint brush hangers.

I then went to an artists' shop named Booers and bought a 20 page pad of A3 acrylic paper. It cost £13.50 :eek: easily the most expensive item out of all the stuff I bought.

That was probably about 4 months ago but now I have a patio area with a view I may start to have a dabble.

I've had no training, no practice, I'm not talented, can't draw, can't paint, but - I can express myself ;)

My favourite musician is Captain Beefheart and here's a link to some of his paintings >> Paintings

Hardly conventional eh? I'm wondering if maybe I have it in me to produce something like those paintings.

We shall see.

If not, well that's a waste of fifty quid then :lol:

And yes Feckit, we want pix :)

Cirianz paints, I do expect she'll be along here to comment.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've sketched since I was very young. I enjoy painting too - oil paints are my preference, I find it such a relaxing hobby... but since we got the desktops, space has become a bit tight here, so I haven't dabbled in quite a while. My fingers were very "itchy" recently when I spotted those cheap canvases in Aldi. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I have never been artistically gifted though not for want of trying.

But recently Lidls were selling loads of artists materials cheap so I bought a wooden easel; palette; brushes; paints and a water jar thingie with paint brush hangers.

I then went to an artists' shop named Booers and bought a 20 page pad of A3 acrylic paper. It cost £13.50 :eek: easily the most expensive item out of all the stuff I bought.

That was probably about 4 months ago but now I have a patio area with a view I may start to have a dabble.

I've had no training, no practice, I'm not talented, can't draw, can't paint, but - I can express myself ;)

My favourite musician is Captain Beefheart and here's a link to some of his paintings >> Paintings

Hardly conventional eh? I'm wondering if maybe I have it in me to produce something like those paintings.

We shall see.

If not, well that's a waste of fifty quid then :lol:

And yes Feckit, we want pix :)

Cirianz paints, I do expect she'll be along here to comment.

If you know of someone with some acid in the freezer from the sevcenties you might just be able to do a pic or two like them.

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
If you know of someone with some acid in the freezer from the sevcenties you might just be able to do a pic or two like them.

laughingsmiley.gif

Erm why do they have to be from the 70's I know people with acid in the fridge from yesterday...haha lol not really..Just taking the p*ss ya know that...Now where that squirrel gone..

Reaction score
I'm away until Sunday & will take a picture & download next week.

My paintings are in the mode of Jackson Pollock, i throw it all over!:nod:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Erm why do they have to be from the 70's I know people with acid in the fridge from yesterday...haha lol not really..Just taking the p*ss ya know that...Now where that squirrel gone..

As far as I am aware the seventies was the last time any good clean and pure LSD was seen in this country.

;)

Reaction score
Nope! Bloody useless.

But give me a spray gun and thats a different matter.
Does that count...:D

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
I'd say that counts, give me an airbrush....

No! No! I mean spray a car I wouldnt like to do one with an airbrush the car wont fit in the PC :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've had no training, no practice, I'm not talented, can't draw, can't paint,

Well that puts you in a group with about 90% of the population and there are some out there that can add to your list and they still managed to make a living at it...:D :lol:

Must admit I have seen some drivel in galleries in my time..But Like beauty, Art is in the eye of the beholder..My daughter produced some cracking pics a couple of years ago when she first went into the infants using her fingers and thumbs, better than some of the modern crap in the Tate..:nod:

Me I can paint well with a roller on any wall or ceiling but it won't be a masterpiece..:)
Hell I'm not even a very good p**s artist, as nowadays a couple of pints and I'm anybodys..:D

Me Brothers dabbled in a few paintings though over the years, although he don't paint anymore..

If you got the patience and the time then I say its got to be an honest hobby and well worth giving a try..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
I'm away until Sunday & will take a picture & download next week.

My paintings are in the mode of Jackson Pollock, i throw it all over!:nod:

What, you paint pictures of bottles of Brut?

Or Henry Cooper perhaps?

Showing my age here, lol, who would remember that ad?

I haven't touched that lysergic stuff since about 1973, it really didn't do me any good.....

But mescalin, well....

Oops, let's not go there ;)

Thinking...... funny, I always did really like the smell of Brut, but it was considered terribly naff and unhip :(

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
:) Feckit, just go for it. John always says that the best was to learn to paint is to just get out there & play. You figure out what works & what doesn't soon enough. The main thing is to have fun. I'll give you mine & John's websites & you can check them out if you like, neither of us had any 'classical' art training (I nearly failed high-school art lol), myself especially I just figure out how to do it each time I do a painting 'cause half the time I've forgotten since the last time lol. Here's the sites :)

www.pointofviewartworks.com (me)

www.kendrickart.net (John)

If you check the paper it should say somewhere on the cover what the weight of the paper is. If it's 360gsm then you don't need to stretch it or anything unless you're planning on really soaking it. If it's a lighter weight paper let me know & I'll tell you how to stretch it (It's actually really easy) so it doesn't go all crinkly when it dries.
I can't wait to see what you paint so don't forget to post some :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question