    caused Windows Defender Service to stop. To start the service,restart your
    computer or search Help and Support on how to start a service manually."

    Aside, system log report service stop,because system not find appointed file

    Guest, Jun 5, 2006

    Hello sunxer,

    Have a look at this article.It may be relevant to your problem.

    Subject: Windows Defender auto-update didn't
    5/9/2006 12:14 PM PST
    By: Jerry Vaughn
    In: microsoft.private.security.spyware.general

    If you are using the Web Interface to view this forum.

    Type your error code 0x800106ba into the Search box and choose either
    group or the General Discussion grºup.

    You will see more posts with the same error code, you will see what I meªn.

    For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

    I hope this post is helpful.

    Let us know how it works ºut.

    Еиçеl

    Guest, Jun 5, 2006

  3. Okay, since I had this problem and all anyone says is "go search the http
    threads for this...." yadda yadda...

    I had uninstalled Client for Microsoft Networks. That's apparently a big
    no-no. If you're getting this error starting the WIndows Defender service,
    make sure you install the Client for Microsoft Networks. That fixed it for
    me....

    Richard Zeller, Jun 9, 2006

    getting error message right after updating media player to 11 did all
    recommended actions in posts now it says "license has expired" what now ?

    Guest, Dec 31, 2006

    If you connect via dial-up or USB connection to a DSL/cable modem, and have
    no home network, the Client for Microsoft Networks is of little value or
    interest for you.

    If you do have a home network, or connect to the internet via an Ethernet
    cable, it may be necessary to have this, but not for Windows Defender. But
    to install the client, go to your Control Panel, switch to Classic view if
    necessary, go to Network Connections. On your Local Area Connection icon,
    right-click, hit Properties. Hit Add, then Client, you should be able to add
    Client for Microsoft Networks from there.

    To solve the Windows Defender error, just download & install the latest
    Defender over top of your older version from the Microsoft website - DO NOT
    uninstall it first, or uninstall and re-install from your old backup of the
    "Windows Defender.msi" installer file. The Beta versions have licenses that
    have expired based on the date/time in the clock on your system tray
    (bottom-right corner), which by now, if your date/time is accurate, is past
    the date the Betas were meant to survive until, if the rash of these errors
    on the 'net is any indication.

    Guest, Jan 15, 2007