Apple Macbook Pro - Opinion from users sought

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If you are an Apple Mac user and have have shifted from a Windows PC platform, how was your experience? Was the transition from one to the other easy? What problems you faced and what was it that Mac offered which Windows did not.

I am just trying to gather some information as I am trying to help someone switch to the Mac.

Thanks for any information you can share.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
err, it is probably easier to relate a Mac to Linux, not Windows ... If you have used Linux then you'll have no problem with a Mac.

Now don't raise your eyebrow like that, YOU have used Linux so you can see what I'm trying to say ... is this person an octopus, 'cos the cost of 'kit' can leave you armless. ;)

In general, there is not much difference in how you do things on Windows or Mac ... they just implement what you want to do slightly differently.

I do not care what the difference is in a Ford or a Vaxhall ... I just drive 'em ... :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
got my ibook a while back and the mac OS is really easy to use, theres a few things that take a bit of getting used to but theres nothing that your average PC user can't do, not having a right mouse button is annoying but you can get over that one easily enough, the keyboard shortcuts are incredibly useful and far easier to use than the PC ones

installing/uninstalling apps is rediculously simple and theres no registry as such to worry about, iirc the OS automatically defrags files under 8MB when they are accesed which is very cool and i haven't done any house keeping at all like i have on my PC, haven't even got an AV or spyware scanner (prob should, but haven't got round to it)

as for software suppport, i dont really know as i mainly use it for internet and talking to friends via MSN and the odd bit of audio editing although i have found an alternativ to most software that is just as good, maybe Cirianz could tell us more :thumb:

hopefully thats covered everything

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Mucks and Me_2001,

Thanks for the insight into the Mac's

I have also been doing a bit of research and planning to go to the Mac dealer on my way home to check out the machine physically.

I will let you know what I like there.

By the way, how do you deal with transfer of Microsoft Office, is there any software built into the Mac which deals with Office files or does one need to buy the suite. I checked and found out Open Office has a version for Apple Mac which should handle all the files from MS Office but just in case if you have some more information that I am not aware of do let me know.

Reaction score
Hi Quad,

I made the switch from Windows to OS X two years ago, with the purchase of an Apple PowerBook. I found the transition very comfortable, and haven't regretted my choice to leave Windows. I love the quiet elegance of OS X, and the simplicity of installing and removing apps. OS X doesn't presume that just because you haven't used an app for a while, that it should take it upon itself to hide it from you.

I've found OS X to be pretty stable, and the available apps cover my needs fine.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The Macbook Pro that I tested at the dealer is simply put STUNNING!
bowdown.gif

I have never seen photographs look so impressive on a laptop before. I am sure this is probably the only portable which can do full justice to editing pictures. :)

It also was running the Windows XP just like a PC platform and functioning superbly.
user.gif

I am convinced that it may be the best laptop money can buy today as some of the sites stated it, I was simply curious when I read that, but after taking a look with me own eyes, I think they may be correct in their assessment of the machine.
nod.gif

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm probably not really much use here as I started on Macs & only later tried to shift onto windows rather than the other way around. The thing I mostly find is how often I get surprised by things which I thought were very basic & easy, & had taken for granted as being that way, which are much harder to do on windows. & a lot of little fidly things that I am used to not thinking about... the OS would take care of them, but which you have to do manually on windows. But for the most part these are fiddly little things. I personally find windows to be clumsier, but in real terms there's not that much difference in using them. Just play with it a bit & it'll slot into place. Like mucks said. It's just like learning your way around a new car. The controls might be slightly differently arranged, but they still do much the same things ;)

As for software, I run Microsoft Office for mac & have no trouble with it, but, unless all you want to do is write a letter (TextEdit can be a breath of fresh air after all the clutter in word but it won't handle anything complex) then you will need to get some version of Office. The eqivalent functions aren't covered by the OS itself.
I have found, with some software, that the mac version & the windows version of the same program do not always have all the same features or lay them out in the same ways so you may have to re-learn some supposedly familiar programs. Also, with paid software it is not uncommon for the Mac version to be pricier than the windows version. I'm afraid I can't see this as anything but a rip-off.
As a photographer you might like iphoto. I have found it much easier to use & more versatile than programs like Kodak or cannon. Although I am still using the Panther OS. I've never used the more recent versions & can't speak on them.

Myself I do use a two button mouse. never understood the big deal made about it myself :rolleyes:
There are plenty of mice out there that are mac compatable, if you like a 2 button mouse then just buy one :)

:user:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Thank you everone for posting your comments. I not only was able to convince the guy to go for one but I too am tempted to get one for myself.

The Macbook Pro is a sweet Laptop. Looks great and performs well too. According to information the Macbook Pro is going to be upgraded to the new processor "Intel Core 2 Duo" which will replace the current processor "Intel Core Duo". Apparently the speed would be 20 % faster and will consume the same power as existing processor.

I wonder how it would fare when crunching :D

For those interested in getting to know the Macbook Pro, here is the link

Ask a Question