Apple iPad pre-orders start today

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
After a long wait, the Apple iPad is available to pre-order in the UK from today, with the official launch date being 28th May 2010. Judging from the speed of the Apple UK website this morning, there seem to be a lot of people looking to be jumping on this bandwagon:

"The Apple iPad tablet computer will cost from £429 when it goes on sale later this month.

Prices for the top-of-the-range model of the slim, lightweight, touch-screen iPad - which can browse the web, play videos, send emails and read e-books - will reach £699.

Apple's website hosting the pre order list called it: "A magical and revolutionary product at an unbelievable price."

However, before even going on sale in the UK, Apple has already received criticism for charging British consumers more than their American cousins.

The basic version sells for 499 US dollars (£337) and the top-of-the-range model is priced at 829 US dollars (£561)."

Yahoo News have a little more information here.

Attachments

• ipad.jpg
    ipad.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 645

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Apparently, it's not only the price which has been criticised; the iPads use a micro-sized SIM card - which are not yet readily available in the UK. It seems though, that someone has found a way around this, by literally cutting-down a standard SIM. You can see the article HERE. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
iPad? Tablet?

Tampon! Nurofen!

Giant iTouch.

Neither a phone nor a laptop and it won't fit in your pocket.

Independent news sources confirmed the head of the i-Tampon design team was 66-year-old Scottie Newmoon, a close friend of drugs pioneer Tomothy Leary and known former acid casualty.

Scottie's prime reason for the i-Tampon design was 'Cos, like, the keys on my phone are too small to text, man, so I made a big one'.

Just like those telephones with huge buttons for the short-sighted.

As for the currency translation, the true picture is that the i-Tampon is in fact reasonably priced for the UK and currency translation is not a factor when comparing prices.

USA to UK prices in fact roughly translate as £1 = $1, to confirm, look at prices on New Egg then OCUK.

Things is cheaper in the USA.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up TC, I'd never heard of a micro-sim before - I remember when sims were the size of credit cards, and yet still used the exact same contact area :D

I guess you're not getting an iPad any time soon then Flops? :lol: Me neither ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I gave one of the new iPads a try yesterday when I passed the Apple shop in town. The shop was rammed full of people waiting to try one, but there were so many on display it didn't take long.

The graphics capability really surprised me, some of the games had really decent 3D - I bet there will be some fantastic games written for this!

It was an impressive bit of kit, but for £429 it's hardly cheap...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Shop rammed full?

It's an alien takeover, creating Apple junkies world wide....

Poor fools ;)

Ask a Question