    updates this quickly. It appears it is connecting once a minute. Can someone
    explain why every minute it needs to contact Microsoft?

    What information is being exchanged and why?

    Guest, Jun 7, 2006

  2. I believe you're seeing round trips to spynet to get voting data on unknown
    applications. These are queries only, nothing is getting sent to spynet to
    be persisted. You're probably seeing the view being refreshed every minute
    or so, with new queries for voting data.

    You can close software explorers down or op out of spynet to stop this
    traffic.

    Thanks for trying Windows Defender,
    Joe

    Joe Faulhaber[MSFT], Jun 7, 2006