Anyone seen the Amazon Kindle?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I wonder whether we shall all be using these, instead of books in the near future? These little gizmos certainly seem to have a lot going for them. Think of the saving on paper, storage space, etc. You don't even need a computer to use them. Link to video:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/mQOQX2V7KT9ZY:m4H02MFJUILVP

They don't appear to be available on this side of the Pond yet - and have sold out in the US, you have to get into an order queue, then first come, first served. So, reckon they will catch on? I'd be tempted. :nod:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah but for $359 in the states and when it lauches here you can bet its North of £250.

For £50 then yeah but its very very exspensive, you can get a crap laptop for that.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
They are small and neat but I recon if they are expensive then you would be better of with an Asus EE or some such . Guess it all depends on how clear the type looks aand if you can alter the size of font etc along with battery life.

happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well (judging from that video) the type looked very clear - the screen is not backlit, so you see it clearly, even in bright light. You do not need an internet connection either, because it works on the same principal as a mobile phone - in fact you can even order your books etc., directly from the device, electronically. Very clever I thought.

I agree, it is very pricey, but, I would imagine like most technology, in a while we shall see them coming down in price. To me, this wee device seems to have been very well thought out. I love "normal" books and enjoy reading, but they take up one heck of a lot of space. This device will hold about 200. It's also expandable with a card, so has almost infinite capacity. ;)

Reaction score
There was a report on t.v at the tail end of last year,of a device so flexible that it could be bent,twisted, even while it was working. As far as I can remember it was being developed by,I think, Cambridge University.Did any one else happen to see it?
historian

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I remember reading about these things two, three years ago ... :)

The best one is, should have been ... The Kindle designed by Sony. :thumb:

I'll go buy one of them Eeee things. :lol:

:wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:

Ineresting article you found Abarbarian :thumb: it looks as if book readers are catching-on, doesn't it, because there are a few brands becoming avaialable, still a bit pricey. But when you think about it, they would make sense from the "green" point of view - less trees being felled for paper-making; also space-saving - in some of today's smaller houses/flats, there's hardly room to store the everyday stuff, let alone a big collection of books.

I really love books, the "real" ones, that is, but just imagine being able to read a really big one (War and Peace, or Harry Potter :p) without giving yourself tennis-elbow in the process ;
)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://reader.txtr.com/press.html

"Unlike many existing e-book readers, the txtr reader will support open e-book and document formats (such as ePub, PDF, HTML, RSS feeds), as well as office documents (Powerpoint, RTF). With its mobile connection, users can access blogs and online news sources, and take their online library wherever they go.2"

Now this sounds just the job. Reading through the specifications and its capabilities this is going to blow most of the opposition out of the water.

nod.gif

Of course it is linux based and will allow 3rd part developers.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
This one seems to be even more closely related to the original Kindle, due to the build-in 3G GPRS modem - handy for ordering your books without being connected to a PC. But, I wonder why they are not releasing either the Kindle or this new "txtr" in the UK? According to THIS article, it will be released in Germany, Austria and Switzerland in what the third quarter of 2009. Amazon is keeping the Kindle to itself - or that is, to its American buying public. Wonder why? :rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The Kindle is tied into the American mobile telephone networks that do not work outside the USA. The txtr is probably launching locally to see how successful it is and to avoid hassle with international postage etc etc. Reading through the txtr's specs etc it looks like a much more user friendly piece of kit with a wider operability and integration with more software and file types.

nod.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes and the Germans usually do make a good job of building things, don't they, so it probably is a very good piece of kit :nod:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Yes and the Germans usually do make a good job of building things, don't they, so it probably is a very good piece of kit
nod.gif

Doubt they will have any trouble with the software as it is running on Linux. :D

I recon the time to buy one of these types of kit will be towards the end of this year. As there will be more products available with the features that folk need and want. I hope they make one that has good clear type that you can enlarge easily for us folk with failing eyesight.

:nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
If you notice, in most of the reviews about these readers, it says that the screens are very clear and easy on the eyes. They are not backlit - like a PC monitor - so apparently, the text will even show-up well in bright sunlight. I also thought I read somewhere, that the text size may be altered to suit(?) If so, excellent for those of us who find small print a bit of a struggle ;) (It's not the eyes, of course, just short arms!!) :lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
They recon the new Sony 700 ( I think) has problems with light, something to do with the coating they put on for touch screen facilities.

Idealy you would be able to rotate the screen view 90' and enlarge the text to suit with a couple of clicks.

I think they are the future as you conjectured in your first post.

:nod:

Ask a Question