Anyone experience with Asus F1A55-V FM1 A55 and ubuntu

Discussion in 'DIY PC' started by Ron Greve, Feb 25, 2012.

  1. Ron Greve

    Ron Greve Guest

    Hi,

    I want to install a recent OS on my server, but because I have installed so
    much stuff on it that I rely on (mail server/web server/SVN server/personal
    wiki etc.) That I haven't got the guts to upgrade the thing :)

    So I thought about just building a new system and replace it when it does
    everything the old one does. I would like to install Ubuntu on it (same as
    on the old).

    I am thinking of the following system, anyone got any experience with one or
    more components especially in combination with ubuntu. (I try to do it on
    the cheap, because that's kind of guy I am :) )

    AMD Athlon II X4 651, 3.00GHz, 4MB, FM1 36 90,00

    Asus F1A55-V FM1 A55 4xDDR3 ATX 36 79,00

    Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter 300MBit, PCIe, x1 24 35,00

    G.Skill PK 6GB(3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz CL7 99 66,00

    Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB, 7200rpm, 32MB, SATA 36 109,00

    Regards, Ron AF Greve

    Ron Greve, Feb 25, 2012

  2. Ron Greve

    Paul Guest

    Ron Greve wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to install a recent OS on my server, but because I have installed
    > so much stuff on it that I rely on (mail server/web server/SVN
    > server/personal wiki etc.) That I haven't got the guts to upgrade the
    > thing :)
    >
    > So I thought about just building a new system and replace it when it
    > does everything the old one does. I would like to install Ubuntu on it
    > (same as on the old).
    >
    > I am thinking of the following system, anyone got any experience with
    > one or more components especially in combination with ubuntu. (I try to
    > do it on the cheap, because that's kind of guy I am :) )
    >
    > AMD Athlon II X4 651, 3.00GHz, 4MB, FM1 36 90,00
    >
    > Asus F1A55-V FM1 A55 4xDDR3 ATX 36 79,00
    >
    > Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter 300MBit, PCIe, x1 24 35,00
    >
    > G.Skill PK 6GB(3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz CL7 99 66,00
    >
    > Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB, 7200rpm, 32MB, SATA 36 109,00
    >

    > Regards, Ron AF Greve

    I could find one reviewer on Newegg, using a motherboard with A55 chipset,
    that was using Ubuntu on it. So that implies the A55 chipset storage
    ports (SATA) aren't a problem.

    There are socket FM1 processors, with or without built-in graphics.
    Your 651 choice doesn't have graphics in the CPU, as near as I can
    determine. Which means, when it comes to graphics drivers, you just
    have to make sure your graphics card purchase, has Linux drivers.

    http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket FM1.html

    Example of FM1 socket device with build-in graphics
    "HD 6550D GPU runs at 600 MHz and has 400 shader" - A8-3870K

    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A8-Series A8-3870 AD3870WNZ43GX.html

    And one without.

    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon II X4 651 - AD651XWNZ43GX (AD651XWNGXBOX).html

    For RAM, I'd be looking at a 2x4GB pair, as 4GB DDR3 modules seem
    to be pretty cheap these days.

    The customer review here for Asus PCE-N15, says "It is also fully
    supported under Kubuntu 11.10! Finally, no third party drivers!".

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074&Tpk=PCE-N15

    There are no on-topic posts in the F1A55-V section of vip.asus.com
    forums at all, so no Ubuntu experience there.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 25, 2012

  3. Ron Greve

    Ron Greve Guest

    >>"Paul" wrote in message news:jibgkv$rr4$...
    >>Hi Paul,

    Thanks for your reply!

    >>Ron Greve wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I want to install a recent OS on my server, but because I have installed
    >>> so much stuff on it that I rely on (mail server/web server/SVN
    >>> server/personal wiki etc.) That I haven't got the guts to upgrade the
    >>> thing :)
    >>>
    >>> So I thought about just building a new system and replace it when it
    >>> does everything the old one does. I would like to install Ubuntu on it
    >>> (same as on the old).
    >>>
    >>> I am thinking of the following system, anyone got any experience with
    >>> one or more components especially in combination with ubuntu. (I try to
    >>> do it on the cheap, because that's kind of guy I am :) )
    >>>
    >>> AMD Athlon II X4 651, 3.00GHz, 4MB, FM1 36 90,00
    >>>
    >>> Asus F1A55-V FM1 A55 4xDDR3 ATX 36 79,00
    >>>
    >>> Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter 300MBit, PCIe, x1 24 35,00
    >>>
    >>> G.Skill PK 6GB(3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz CL7 99 66,00
    >>>
    >>> Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB, 7200rpm, 32MB, SATA 36 109,00
    >>>

    >>> Regards, Ron AF Greve
    >>>

    >>I could find one reviewer on Newegg, using a motherboard with A55 chipset,
    >>that was using Ubuntu on it. So that implies the A55 chipset storage
    >>ports (SATA) aren't a problem.
    >>
    >>There are socket FM1 processors, with or without built-in graphics.
    >>Your 651 choice doesn't have graphics in the CPU, as near as I can
    >>determine. Which means, when it comes to graphics drivers, you just
    >>have to make sure your graphics card purchase, has Linux drivers.

    Didn't look at the GC, I thought because there was a VGA connector it would
    have onboard graphics. It will be a headless PC but when something goes
    wrong it is nice to see something on the screen. Probably will plugin some
    old card, I think I have an old card PCI lying around somewhere.

    >>http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket FM1.html
    >>
    >>Example of FM1 socket device with build-in graphics
    >>"HD 6550D GPU runs at 600 MHz and has 400 shader" - A8-3870K
    >>
    >>http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A8-Series A8-3870 AD3870WNZ43GX.html
    >>
    >>And one without.
    >>
    >>http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon II X4 651 - AD651XWNZ43GX (AD651XWNGXBOX).html
    >>
    >>For RAM, I'd be looking at a 2x4GB pair, as 4GB DDR3 modules seem
    >>to be pretty cheap these days.

    Ok, I had a lot of problems with ram/motherboard with my last PC (a few
    years back). Swapped both motherboard and ram and it still wasn't stable (in
    the end it was the dual channel mode that just didn't work for DDR3, though
    both modules were sold as a pair). So wanted to stick to the qvl list (and
    stuff available from my vendor). But I have another look.

    >>The customer review here for Asus PCE-N15, says "It is also fully
    >>supported under Kubuntu 11.10! Finally, no third party drivers!".
    >>

    >>There are no on-topic posts in the F1A55-V section of vip.asus.com
    >>forums at all, so no Ubuntu experience there.
    >>
    >> Paul

    Thanks again for the comments. I have to give the thing a bit more thought.

    Regards, Ron

    Ron Greve, Feb 25, 2012