Windows Vista Any way lock Vista desktop icons?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
How do you stop your icons running amok when you update display drivers please...?

I had to update Nvidia graphics display drivers today, but, as always, I then had to spend ages sorting out my desktop icons, which had all been mixed-up.

Yes, I know that I could get rid of them and just use the quick launch, but it's just the way I like to work... anyhoo, I just wondered whether there is any way to "lock" the icons in Vista, as one can with XP?

Thanks for looking :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
As the nVidia drivers actually change the monitor resolution, no amount of locking will/may not work.

This may work.

Delete 'em and have a nice rotating picture display ... I may get back to the beginning of my pics, one day. ;)

:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply Mucks :thumb: I liked the sound of that little tweak you linked to, so I have downloaded it. But I think I must have gone wrong somewhere, 'cause I don't see the option to save the icon layout when I right click on "Computer." :confused: I followed the instructions, and even re-started the PC, just in case it needed it, so not sure why I'm not seeing it... it's gotta be me though. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi Taffy,

I too am having the same probs with icons. Its seems that everytime my pc starts up these days the icons have changed back to horrible, boring folders. The app. makers cool icons are missing. Somebody( i think WiZ) gave a link a while ago to sort the issue but i couldn't get it to work for me.
Fed up with it now and just accept it.

Zzzzz

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Zed :wave: I don't seem to have any probs with icons changing, just with them scooting around into different places after the aforementioned driver updates. I really should have a tidier desktop :nod: :D

Ask a Question