Any of $NtUninstallKB899591$ folders can be removed?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Dave Patrick, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Dave Patrick

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Don't delete the $hf_mig$ directory as this is a general distribution
    release store. The others are hotfix and service pack uninstall routines. If
    you're sure you'll never need to back down then you can delete them.

    Windows XP will use the \ServicePackFiles folder in the event you Add
    components to the system. Best to leave this folder.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Dave Patrick

    Rock Guest

    xfile wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone point me to where can I find information about which of
    > $NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$ folders can be safely deleted?
    >
    > I also found a ServicePackFiles folder date 08/16/2004 and wondering if it
    > can be deleted as well.
    >
    > The system is installed with SP2 and all latest updates and have no
    > intension to remove SP2.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    The $NT... folders are needed to uninstall that particular update which
    was installed from the windows update site. If the system is running
    fine and there is no need to remove the update, these folders can be
    removed. After that their entries in Add/Remove programs can be deleted
    by clicking on Remove for that update after the folder is removed. It
    will give a warning that the update can't be removed and do you want to
    remove the entry.

    There is a utility on Doug Knox' site to automate this:
    http://www.dougknox.com/
    Win XP Utilities
    Remove Hotfix Backup Files v2.1.6 - Updated 5/29/2004

    Leave the ServicePackFiles folder. It can be needed. If you have two
    CD drives it can be copied to CD. Then edit the registry to reflect the
    new location for the CD drive here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

    Edit the ServicePackSourcePath Value to reflect the location such as
    Z:\ServicePackFiles

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User