Any freeware to check that all the hardware installed in my pc works properly eg RAM, Graphic cards,

Annie

hello guys,

Any freeware to check that status of my hardware and report if they still
work properly.

TA

Chief Suspect

==================

Er .. not so sure that permitting an online source access to poke around
my computer is a good idea. I even eschew the necessary occasional
upgrade from Microsoft which examines my hard drive to see what might be
needed. I don't trust any of them!

PanHandler

No longer available for D/L, but may be available elsewhere. AIDA32
Enterprise System Information does a very thorough scan of your computer,
even component temperature data and Win XP Key number.

I'd be happy to send the executable to anyone interested.

From the readme:
AIDA32 - Features

AIDA32 is a professional system information, diagnostics and benchmarking
program running on Win32 platforms. It extracts details of all components of
the PC. It can display information on the screen, print it, or save it to
file in various formats like HTML, CSV or XML. For corporate users, AIDA32
offers command-line switches, network audit and audit statistics, remote
system information and network management.

Features:
Full hardware & software information on 80 pages
Built-in hardware database: detailed information about 21000 components
Phyisical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disk, optical drive
Motherboard chipset, buses, sensor information
Installed programs, event logs list
Diagnostics module to reveal possible problems
Memory benchmark
Automatic audit via command-line switches
ADO/ODBC database support
Remote control through TCP/IP network
32-bit low-level hardware detection
Multi-threaded program model
Full Windows XP compatibility
Iomega Active Disk support
English, Hungarian, German, Russian language module
French, Italian, Spanish language module

PanHandler

Forgot to add two things: it's available as an installer *or* as a zip
(I been using version 2.01 as a non-installed app); and I think it may
require (free) registration.

I'm currently running v. 3.40, 3/28/03

Susan Bugher

Harvey said:
On 29 Sep 2005, PanHandler wrote
I think you'll find that AIDA transmuted into "Everest"; the "home"
edition is still freeware (and an excellent product):

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

The original program is available for download from the author's web site:

Program: Aida32
Author: Aida32 (Tamas Miklos)
Install: n.i.
Ware: Freeware (Registerware: not required for personal use)
http://www.hardwareoc.hu/index.php/p/download/st/.-download--teszt-PC-AIDA.html

AIDA16_v2.12.zip (493k)
AIDA16hu_v2.14.zip (516k)
AIDA32_v3.94.2.zip (3181k)
aida.png (46k)
aida32ee_393.exe (3451k)
aida32ne_393.exe (2612k)
aida32pe_393.exe (3223k)
proguide_en.zip (2519k)
proguide_hu.zip (2531k)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Harvey Van Sickle

On 29 Sep 2005, PanHandler wrote
I'm currently running v. 3.40, 3/28/03

Like I say, though, AIDA32 (which, like you, I used to use) turned into
"Everest" -- it's the same product, but has since been upgraded:

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=29758

(When Lavasys took it over they renumbered, hence the lower version
number for Everest compared to AIDA.)

Like AIDA, it doesn't need installing -- the zipped download will work
from a flash drive. Excellent product, just like its predecessor
AIDA32.

Harvey Van Sickle

On 29 Sep 2005, PanHandler wrote
I think you'll find that AIDA transmuted into "Everest"; the
"home" edition is still freeware (and an excellent product):

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

The original program is available for download from the author's
web site:[/QUOTE]

(snip links)

I'm curious, though: what's the attraction to using Aida32 instead of
its successor, Everest?

(Everest "Home" edition can be run as a non-installed app; AFAICT it's
freeware -- the licence says you must register it, but it's never
nagged me and I can't even see a "register" button to do so.)

Susan Bugher

[/QUOTE]
I'm curious, though: what's the attraction to using Aida32 instead of
its successor, Everest?

ISTM one of the major attractions is that Aida32 is free for business/professional use. (Everest
Home edition is not.) There was quite a bit of discussion about the differences when Everest first
came out - IIRC there were some other reasons for prefering AIDA32. . . networking?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Harvey Van Sickle

On 29 Sep 2005, Susan Bugher wrote
I'm curious, though: what's the attraction to using Aida32
instead of its successor, Everest?

ISTM one of the major attractions is that Aida32 is free for
business/professional use. (Everest Home edition is not.) There
was quite a bit of discussion about the differences when Everest
first came out - IIRC there were some other reasons for prefering
AIDA32. . . networking?[/QUOTE]

Ah; fair 'nuff -- none of those apply to me, so I hadn't explored the
details.

(FWIW, my own feeling is that for home users -- using the software
legally, as licensed -- it makes sense to use the most recent release
rather than an older version of the thing.)

Peter Seiler

Susan Bugher - 29.09.2005 18:44 :
ISTM one of the major attractions is that Aida32 is free for business/professional use. (Everest
Home edition is not.) There was quite a bit of discussion about the differences when Everest first
came out - IIRC there were some other reasons for prefering AIDA32. . . networking?

Susan

a question please: how many character per line do you have configured in
your program when posting/reposting? 72 per line should be normal?

Susan Bugher

Peter said:
Susan Bugher - 29.09.2005 18:44 :
a question please: how many character per line do you have configured in
your program when posting/reposting? 72 per line should be normal?

100 per line. AFAIK there is no "normal" number of characters although IIRC Mozilla (which I'm
using) has a default setting that's lower.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Harvey Van Sickle

Susan Bugher - 29.09.2005 18:44 :
a question please: how many character per line do you have
configured in your program when posting/reposting? 72 per line
should be normal?

100 per line. AFAIK there is no "normal" number of characters
although IIRC Mozilla (which I'm using) has a default setting
that's lower.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I think XNews -- which ISTR was designed in line with
known standards and/or best-practice -- defaults to 72.

Peter Seiler

Susan Bugher - 01.10.2005 15:53 :
100 per line. AFAIK there is no "normal" number of characters although IIRC Mozilla (which I'm
using) has a default setting that's lower.

AFAIK 72 is usual and common and make emails/postings more readable. See
different postings/repostings in ACF and/or other groups. If you are
willing, trying 72 lines would be fine. THX.