    Any freeware to check that status of my hardware and report if they still
    work properly.

    TA

    Annie, Sep 29, 2005

  2. Herbert Nagler, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Annie

    Guest

    , Sep 29, 2005
  4. Annie

    canetoad Guest

    Re: Any freeware to check that all the hardware installed in my pcworks properly eg RAM, Graphic cards, etc?

    Herbert Nagler wrote:
    > Annie wrote:
    >
    >>hello guys,
    >>
    >>Any freeware to check that status of my hardware and report if they
    >>still work properly.
    >>
    >>TA

    > ---------------------------------
    > "Everst Home Edition"
    > http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/programs/2295.php

    Everest worked well until Service Pack2

    Would only recommend for pre sp2

    canetoad, Sep 29, 2005
  5. Annie

    Guest

    , Sep 29, 2005
  6. andrew at portablefreeware dot com, Sep 29, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    says...
    > Online testing
    > http://www.pcpitstop.com/

    ==================

    Er .. not so sure that permitting an online source access to poke around
    my computer is a good idea. I even eschew the necessary occasional
    upgrade from Microsoft which examines my hard drive to see what might be
    needed. I don't trust any of them!

    Chief Suspect, Sep 29, 2005
  8. Annie

    PanHandler Guest

    No longer available for D/L, but may be available elsewhere. AIDA32
    Enterprise System Information does a very thorough scan of your computer,
    even component temperature data and Win XP Key number.

    I'd be happy to send the executable to anyone interested.

    From the readme:
    AIDA32 - Features

    AIDA32 is a professional system information, diagnostics and benchmarking
    program running on Win32 platforms. It extracts details of all components of
    the PC. It can display information on the screen, print it, or save it to
    file in various formats like HTML, CSV or XML. For corporate users, AIDA32
    offers command-line switches, network audit and audit statistics, remote
    system information and network management.

    Features:
    Full hardware & software information on 80 pages
    Built-in hardware database: detailed information about 21000 components
    Phyisical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disk, optical drive
    Motherboard chipset, buses, sensor information
    Installed programs, event logs list
    Diagnostics module to reveal possible problems
    Memory benchmark
    Automatic audit via command-line switches
    ADO/ODBC database support
    Remote control through TCP/IP network
    32-bit low-level hardware detection
    Multi-threaded program model
    Full Windows XP compatibility
    Iomega Active Disk support
    English, Hungarian, German, Russian language module
    French, Italian, Spanish language module

    PanHandler, Sep 29, 2005
  9. On 29 Sep 2005, PanHandler wrote

    > No longer available for D/L, but may be available elsewhere.
    > AIDA32 Enterprise System Information does a very thorough scan of
    > your computer, even component temperature data and Win XP Key
    > number.

    I think you'll find that AIDA transmuted into "Everest"; the "home"
    edition is still freeware (and an excellent product):

    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    --
    Cheers,
    Harvey

    Harvey Van Sickle, Sep 29, 2005
  10. On 29 Sep 2005, Harvey Van Sickle wrote

    > On 29 Sep 2005, PanHandler wrote
    >
    >> No longer available for D/L, but may be available elsewhere.
    >> AIDA32 Enterprise System Information does a very thorough scan of
    >> your computer, even component temperature data and Win XP Key
    >> number.

    > I think you'll find that AIDA transmuted into "Everest"; the "home"
    > edition is still freeware (and an excellent product):
    >
    > http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    Forgot to add two things: it's available as an installer *or* as a zip
    (I been using version 2.01 as a non-installed app); and I think it may
    require (free) registration.

    --
    Cheers,
    Harvey

    Harvey Van Sickle, Sep 29, 2005
  11. Annie

    PanHandler Guest

    > Forgot to add two things: it's available as an installer *or* as a zip
    > (I been using version 2.01 as a non-installed app); and I think it may
    > require (free) registration.

    I'm currently running v. 3.40, 3/28/03

    PanHandler, Sep 29, 2005
  12. Annie

    Susan Bugher Guest

    Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

    > On 29 Sep 2005, PanHandler wrote
    >
    >>No longer available for D/L, but may be available elsewhere.
    >>AIDA32 Enterprise System Information does a very thorough scan of
    >>your computer, even component temperature data and Win XP Key
    >>number.

    > I think you'll find that AIDA transmuted into "Everest"; the "home"
    > edition is still freeware (and an excellent product):
    >
    > http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    The original program is available for download from the author's web site:

    Program: Aida32
    Author: Aida32 (Tamas Miklos)
    Install: n.i.
    Ware: Freeware (Registerware: not required for personal use)
    http://www.hardwareoc.hu/index.php/p/download/st/.-download--teszt-PC-AIDA.html

    AIDA16_v2.12.zip (493k)
    AIDA16hu_v2.14.zip (516k)
    AIDA32_v3.94.2.zip (3181k)
    aida.png (46k)
    aida32ee_393.exe (3451k)
    aida32ne_393.exe (2612k)
    aida32pe_393.exe (3223k)
    proguide_en.zip (2519k)
    proguide_hu.zip (2531k)

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Sep 29, 2005
  13. On 29 Sep 2005, PanHandler wrote

    >> Forgot to add two things: it's available as an installer *or* as
    >> a zip (I been using version 2.01 as a non-installed app); and I
    >> think it may require (free) registration.

    > I'm currently running v. 3.40, 3/28/03

    Like I say, though, AIDA32 (which, like you, I used to use) turned into
    "Everest" -- it's the same product, but has since been upgraded:

    http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=29758

    (When Lavasys took it over they renumbered, hence the lower version
    number for Everest compared to AIDA.)

    Like AIDA, it doesn't need installing -- the zipped download will work
    from a flash drive. Excellent product, just like its predecessor
    AIDA32.

    --
    Cheers,
    Harvey

    Harvey Van Sickle, Sep 29, 2005
  14. On 29 Sep 2005, Susan Bugher wrote

    > Harvey Van Sickle wrote:
    >
    >> On 29 Sep 2005, PanHandler wrote
    >>
    >>> No longer available for D/L, but may be available elsewhere.
    >>> AIDA32 Enterprise System Information does a very thorough scan
    >>> of your computer, even component temperature data and Win XP Key
    >>> number.

    >> I think you'll find that AIDA transmuted into "Everest"; the
    >> "home" edition is still freeware (and an excellent product):
    >>
    >> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    > The original program is available for download from the author's
    > web site:

    (snip links)

    I'm curious, though: what's the attraction to using Aida32 instead of
    its successor, Everest?

    (Everest "Home" edition can be run as a non-installed app; AFAICT it's
    freeware -- the licence says you must register it, but it's never
    nagged me and I can't even see a "register" button to do so.)

    --
    Cheers,
    Harvey

    Harvey Van Sickle, Sep 29, 2005
  15. Annie

    Susan Bugher Guest

    Harvey Van Sickle wrote:
    > On 29 Sep 2005, Susan Bugher wrote
    >>Harvey Van Sickle wrote:
    >>>On 29 Sep 2005, PanHandler wrote

    > I'm curious, though: what's the attraction to using Aida32 instead of
    > its successor, Everest?

    ISTM one of the major attractions is that Aida32 is free for business/professional use. (Everest
    Home edition is not.) There was quite a bit of discussion about the differences when Everest first
    came out - IIRC there were some other reasons for prefering AIDA32. . . networking?

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Sep 29, 2005
  16. On 29 Sep 2005, Susan Bugher wrote

    > Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

    >> I'm curious, though: what's the attraction to using Aida32
    >> instead of its successor, Everest?

    > ISTM one of the major attractions is that Aida32 is free for
    > business/professional use. (Everest Home edition is not.) There
    > was quite a bit of discussion about the differences when Everest
    > first came out - IIRC there were some other reasons for prefering
    > AIDA32. . . networking?

    Ah; fair 'nuff -- none of those apply to me, so I hadn't explored the
    details.

    (FWIW, my own feeling is that for home users -- using the software
    legally, as licensed -- it makes sense to use the most recent release
    rather than an older version of the thing.)

    --
    Cheers,
    Harvey

    Harvey Van Sickle, Sep 29, 2005
  17. Annie

    Peter Seiler Guest

    Re: Any freeware to check that all the hardware installed in my pcworks properly eg RAM, Graphic cards, etc?

    Susan Bugher - 29.09.2005 18:44 :

    > ISTM one of the major attractions is that Aida32 is free for business/professional use. (Everest
    > Home edition is not.) There was quite a bit of discussion about the differences when Everest first
    > came out - IIRC there were some other reasons for prefering AIDA32. . . networking?
    >
    > Susan

    a question please: how many character per line do you have configured in
    your program when posting/reposting? 72 per line should be normal?

    --
    by(e) PS
    spam will be killed

    Peter Seiler, Sep 29, 2005
  18. Annie

    Susan Bugher Guest

    Peter Seiler wrote:

    > Susan Bugher - 29.09.2005 18:44 :

    > a question please: how many character per line do you have configured in
    > your program when posting/reposting? 72 per line should be normal?

    100 per line. AFAIK there is no "normal" number of characters although IIRC Mozilla (which I'm
    using) has a default setting that's lower.

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Oct 1, 2005
  19. On 01 Oct 2005, Susan Bugher wrote

    > Peter Seiler wrote:
    >
    >> Susan Bugher - 29.09.2005 18:44 :

    >> a question please: how many character per line do you have
    >> configured in your program when posting/reposting? 72 per line
    >> should be normal?

    > 100 per line. AFAIK there is no "normal" number of characters
    > although IIRC Mozilla (which I'm using) has a default setting
    > that's lower.

    FWIW, I think XNews -- which ISTR was designed in line with
    known standards and/or best-practice -- defaults to 72.

    --
    Cheers,
    Harvey

    Harvey Van Sickle, Oct 1, 2005
  20. Annie

    Peter Seiler Guest

    Re: Any freeware to check that all the hardware installed in my pcworks properly eg RAM, Graphic cards, etc?

    Susan Bugher - 01.10.2005 15:53 :

    > Peter Seiler wrote:
    >
    >> Susan Bugher - 29.09.2005 18:44 :

    >> a question please: how many character per line do you have configured in
    >> your program when posting/reposting? 72 per line should be normal?

    > 100 per line. AFAIK there is no "normal" number of characters although IIRC Mozilla (which I'm
    > using) has a default setting that's lower.

    AFAIK 72 is usual and common and make emails/postings more readable. See
    different postings/repostings in ACF and/or other groups. If you are
    willing, trying 72 lines would be fine. THX.

    --
    by(e) PS
    spam will be killed

    Peter Seiler, Oct 1, 2005