Anti-virus cleaned files ... were they viruses or needed files???

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by randyv, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. randyv

    randyv Guest

    I'm running McAfee on a W2k SQL Server Cluster. The domain controller had a
    number of viruses of various sorts. During the run I noticed that several
    files were cleaned (removed) from the system.

    Once I rebooted the server, I saw that a few services in the event viewed
    failed to start ...
    kde and RtKit service failed to start - and these were some of the files
    (kde.exe being one) that were removed in the anti-virus pass.

    What are the kde and RtKit services? Are these viruses or legitimate? If
    legitimate, how can I recover these files?

    Tia

    randyv

    --
    Randy Volters

    'what we do in life echoes in eternity'
    <><

    randyv, Aug 9, 2003

  2. "randyv" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running McAfee on a W2k SQL Server Cluster. The domain controller had

    > number of viruses of various sorts. During the run I noticed that several
    > files were cleaned (removed) from the system.
    >
    > Once I rebooted the server, I saw that a few services in the event viewed
    > failed to start ...
    > kde and RtKit service failed to start - and these were some of the files
    > (kde.exe being one) that were removed in the anti-virus pass.
    >
    > What are the kde and RtKit services? Are these viruses or legitimate? If
    > legitimate, how can I recover these files?
    >
    > Tia
    >
    > randyv
    >
    > --
    > Randy Volters
    >
    > 'what we do in life echoes in eternity'
    > <><

    Did you check out Google and the various antivirus sites (NAV,
    www.antivirus.com)?

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Aug 9, 2003