Another faulty Logitech m500

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My 2nd Logitech m500 mouse has failed - with the exact same problem as the first one (and at a similar point in its life). The cursor jerks around the screen erratically, although it may start working for a very short period of time. I've given the sensor a good clean and even opened my 1st failure up to see if there was anything obvious wrong.

I've filed a warranty support request with Logitech, as it is still covered, but they've not replied after 9 days :mad:. I'll give them a call later to chase it up!

I wonder if this is a common type of failure for this mouse, or perhaps I've just over-used it!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Logitech mice do indeed develop problems which might be related to type.

I use the Logitech G600, (yeah, the one with all the side buttons!) My first was purchased in April 2015, but it developed a fault, in that the left and right click became intermittently unresponsive.

Because I liked the mouse so much, I purchased another, earlier this year... and guess what... it too, has developed the same fault. (Particularly annoying in combat situations, when a character becomes rooted to the spot and dies, just because the darned mouse-buttons fail.)

So whilst my problem is a little different from the one you are experiencing @Ian, I cannot help concluding that some Logi mice develop common failures.

Overuse? Hmm, the company boasts that the G600 has durability for "20 million clicks"... could I really have clicked that much, in just a few months? Don't think so, because I would surely have needed to be gaming 24/7. :eek:
Did you ever receive a reply from them?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I got the replacement mouse today - it took them a while to reply, in the end I had to prompt them via Twitter and then I heard back within 24h!

The warranty for the mouse was 3 years, so they sent out a replacement after doing some very basic tests. I bought another in the meantime, so I'll have the replacement as a spare for when that one fails ;).

It may be worth you trying to get a replacement for your Logitech G600 if you still have the faulty one :thumb:.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm very glad to hear you received a replacement @Ian, and hopefully, it will give longer service. :nod:

Sadly, it looks (to me) as if Logitech might have discontinued the G600(?) They appear on Logitech's US website, but, searching for it on the UK site, only gets one to their support page. In addition, stocks are "unavailable" on Amazon UK (other than for refurbished, or from third-party sellers.)

Sooo... I am about to give the Corsair CH-9000231-EU SCIMITAR a try. It looks similar (but will be missing the ring-finger button, which I found to be so very useful on my G600s.)

I probably should try to get the G600 replaced (bearing in mind the 3-year guarantee) but I disposed of the mouse's box/packaging just recently - plus, if the G600s have been phased-out, I'm wondering whether there would be much point. I'll have a think, and meanwhile, see what the new one will be like. (It should be delivered tomorrow.) :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks TC :).

That mouse looks complicated :lol:! Do you assign all of those buttons to in-game macros?

I didn't need to send the mouse back or show the packaging, all they needed was the serial number from the bottom - so I'd give it a shot, it only takes a couple of minutes and it'll give you a spare for the future :). I think they'll still have stock of most recent mice, or perhaps offer you an alternative.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That mouse looks complicated :lol:! Do you assign all of those buttons to in-game macros?
It was a tad daunting to begin with, but after some trial and error, I have discovered which buttons I find to be the most intuitive to use. I have assigned some of them to utility skills, interact, movement, etc; I also set some to control voice comms, (mic mute, toggle/push to talk, in various voice clients.) Handy stuff! :D
I didn't need to send the mouse back or show the packaging, all they needed was the serial number from the bottom - so I'd give it a shot,
Hmm... that is interesting about you only needing to provide a serial number. I wonder if that would satisfy Amazon (from whom I made the purchase? I have a feeling they normally like to have items returned, although I know they are usually extremely helpful about it. Worth a try as you say. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It was a tad daunting to begin with, but after some trial and error, I have discovered which buttons I find to be the most intuitive to use. I have assigned some of them to utility skills, interact, movement, etc; I also set some to control voice comms, (mic mute, toggle/push to talk, in various voice clients.) Handy stuff! :D

I can see how that could be handy with the games you play - saves a lot of keyboard pressing! I should probably give one of these a go when my current mouse fails - I've had the most basic keyboard and wired mouse for years :lol:.

Hmm... that is interesting about you only needing to provide a serial number. I wonder if that would satisfy Amazon (from whom I made the purchase? I have a feeling they normally like to have items returned, although I know they are usually extremely helpful about it. Worth a try as you say. :thumb:

I think Amazon will be fine to be honest, I've had a couple of faulty items and they haven't even wanted me to send it back. Although as it has been less than a year I suspect Amazon may just refund you (even if they do want it back, no packaging would be fine). :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah its a good site and the guy is genuinely helpful. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What about the G403 Ian? Seems to get a lot of praise. I'd be interested in it myself but I'm just not a Logitech mouse fan.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, now that looks exactly what I'm after! When my replacement fails (inevitably), I'll probably go for that. That's double the price of the one I have at the moment, so it had better not fail if I upgrade ;).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmmm, a strange coincidence....
My Deathadder 2013's middle click gave up this weekend. Time to replace it.
Zowie EC1-A or Deathadder Chroma or Elite are my shortlist.
Ian, great resource here: http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/find-a-mouse/
Following on from this.....

I ended up buying a Logitech G403, Deathadder Chroma and a Zowie EC1-A. Been using them over the weekend and will send back the ones I don't like. Here are my quick thoughts....

Logitech G403:
As I said I've never been a huge fan of LT mice, but thought I'd give this a go. Its not bad, but too small for my hands (20x10cm) and typical Logitech software bloat (its not like I'm short of space but seriously, why does it need to be over 250mb just for some software that lets me change the DPI and the colours?), The side buttons are nice. But it didn't 'feel' right. Its going back.

Deathadder Chroma:
My old mouse was/is a Deathadder 2013 so this is essentially the same but with better switches, RGB etc. A solid contender. I like Razer mice.

Zowie EC1-A:
I love this mouse, it seems to be the one I keep going back to. The thumb buttons let it down a little, they are not great compared to the other two, which is a bit of a shame. Plug and play means no drivers, no gimmicks, just a top quality sensor and superb build quality. Its just the side buttons that let it down.

So, which to keep? I'm edging towards the Zowie to be honest, despite the DA having better thumb buttons, I just love everything about the Zowie, size, weight, mouse 1 & 2 etc, and tbh in game the side buttons are not affecting me in any way. Its more the 'feel' of the buttons, they're spongy and the click is not positive.

Heres a quick and dirty pic I took, DA 2013, EC1-A and G403. In that order.

20161211_112113.jpg

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm really torn between the Deathadder Chroma and EC1-A both have their pro's and con's.... Might just toss a coin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
From what you wrote, it sounds like the Zowie is the one you like - it's a bit of a change compared to your last one too :).

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Both look and sound good... If you stick with Zowie, you should rename it Duncan :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah at first I did, but the Razer has better thumb buttons and better grips on the sides. I think I'm swinging back towards the DA... :confused:

Both look and sound good... If you stick with Zowie, you should rename it Duncan :lol:
Ok, what am I missing? :blush:

Ask a Question