    So, how DO I remove the "anchor symbol" from the page(s)????
    Thanks!!
    PS: MS Word Help didn't seem to give any help here!

    Tom, Jan 23, 2009

  2. Tom

    grammatim Guest

    It shows that some sort of graphic (maybe a text box?) is "anchored"
    to the page.

    Does turning off Show Non-Printing Characters work?

    grammatim, Jan 23, 2009

  3. As grammatim states, the anchor is beside the paragraph to which some
    floating object is anchored. The anchor will not print. If you don't want
    the object floating (wrapped), you can select the object in question and
    format it as In Line With Text.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jan 23, 2009
  4. Tom

    Tom Guest

    1) I simply want to totally REMOVE the "anchor character" as it's causing
    serious formatting issues in how the pages are to be layed out.
    2) It doesn't print but I can see it on the far left. Again, I just need to
    remove it.
    3) I have removed ALL graphics in the document but it would appear from the
    time I attempt to delete it that it 'reappears' which gives me the impression
    that I'm not doing something right (this sentence may not be totally correct
    as I did the work yesterday and I've tried several things!). Whenever I
    select the paragraph symbol at the top far left of page 1 it highlights a
    'thin' column which includes the "anchor character" about 2/3rds down page 1.
    4) I don't understand the "In Line in Text" comment....
    Again, TIA!!

    Tom, Jan 23, 2009
  5. Tom

    grammatim Guest

    Sounds like you've got some stuff left over in a Header that you
    thought you deleted everything from. Was there, maybe, a Watermark at
    some point in the history of the document?.

    grammatim, Jan 23, 2009
  6. Tom

    Ned23 Guest

    The anchor symbol means something is anchored to a particular spot on a
    page. It will not 'float' with changing text. You cannot delete the
    symbol. You have to edit the formatting of whatever is anchored and
    un-anchor it. It could be any number of elements in the document: A
    graphic, a table, a text box, etc.

    The symbol will disappear when you change the formatting of whatever is
    anchored.

    Ned23, Jan 23, 2009
  7. Try this.

    1. Place the insertion point at the beginning of the paragraph beside which
    the anchor symbol appears. Press Enter. This will insert a new empty
    paragraph.

    2. Click wherever you have to click to make the anchor symbol appear. Drag
    it to be beside the empty paragraph (if you can).

    3. Delete the empty paragraph. This should also delete the anchored graphic.

    If you are unable to move the anchor in step 2, then it is locked to the
    given paragraph. So proceed as follows:

    1. Create a new empty paragraph as before.

    2. Carefully select the text of the paragraph beside which the anchor
    appears, excluding the paragraph mark, and drag it into the empty paragraph.

    3. Delete the (now empty) paragraph beside which the anchor appears.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jan 23, 2009