Analogue TV to switch off in less than 3 years!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Prepare yourself for the change, you will need to spend quiet a few £££'s in order to keep up with the trends :(.

ntv16big.gif

Traditional analogue television will start to be phased out in less than three years time, beginning a process that will force every home in Britain to upgrade to digital, it was announced yesterday.

The Government said transmitters in the Borders region will stop analogue broadcasts in the second half of 2008, beginning a four-year region by region switch-off.

Full Details

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Strange co-incidence there Quad, we were just discussing this with my dad and I thought it was 2008 for the whole UK, and now I've been proved wrong ;)

Cheers :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Funny, I switched off 3 months ago. :D

To ease the cost of transition, the Government yesterday pledged financial and technical help for six million elderly and disabled viewers.
Hey! I get a £10 bonus a year off the government ... maybe they'll give me a new TV. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I can remember talking about this 20 years ago, I'm only surprised it's taken them so long.

Most TV's are now equipped with both analogue and digital tuners, so shouldn't be a prob. And you can get a digital receiver for £40.00.

The digital signal, in most areas, is actually stronger than the analogue signal currently available, so I don't see aerials being too much of a prob.

It's taken a long time, and analogue won't die out everywhere until 2012 so my feeling is that we should embrace new technology, it's better, after all.

There was a time when TV's received VHF as well as UHF signals, but that time is long gone.

So it not a new phenomenon.

Reaction score
The way the news has been reporting this, anybody would think its something new... Typical media, 3 or 4 years behind everybody else ;) I would have switched over to freeview when it was first announced, as where I live, our TV reception is rubbish.. And its not helped by the HUGE Irish TV transmitter on the mountain overlooking us (I live on the border of Northern ireland) but,freeview is not available here, and when I enquired as to why, I was bluntly told it was a "Northern Ireland assembly problem" :eek: what? that lot? we have no hope then... maybe thats why we aint getting switched off until 2012 :D

EDIT:

Oh, Floppy bootstamp, you speak of dual frequency TV's, they are still made for our market, (in fact its all we ever had around here) :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question