    (frame rate, resolution) for capturing video would be, both for S-Video and
    the Red-White-Yellow cables. Thank you in advance for your help.

    - Adam

    Adam, Apr 29, 2009

  2. Adam

    Curious Guest

    The NTSC standard for S-Video or Yellow composite video in North America is
    SD 480i. The Red cable is for right channel audio and the white cable is
    for left channel audio.

    Curious, Apr 29, 2009

  3. Adam

    Adam Guest

    By "SD 480i" I know you mean 640x480; what does "SD" mean?

    Thanks.

    - Adam

    Adam, Apr 29, 2009
  4. Adam

    Curious Guest

    Standard Definition

    Curious, Apr 29, 2009
  5. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Another question - I had always thought that S-Video was higher quality than
    Yellow composite. But if I understand correctly, you said that the NTSC
    standard is the same for both of them...?

    Adam, May 1, 2009
  6. Adam

    Curious Guest

    Yes, S-video is of higher quality since the color signal is separate from
    the B&W video signal, however the NTSC resolution standard for both of them
    is the same

    Curious, May 1, 2009
  7. Adam

    Adam Casada Guest

    So how do I take advantage of the higher quality in S-video?

    Adam Casada, May 2, 2009
  8. Adam

    Curious Guest

    If you have a card that will accept S-video or composite then you just send
    S-v

    Curious, May 2, 2009
  9. Adam

    RalfG Guest

    The quality difference is inherent in the connection type. An S-Video
    connection introduces less degradation into the video than composite does.
    Note that cable length and quality also enter into it. S-Video does not
    transmit Audio, so you will still need to connect the two (red-white) audio
    cables when you use S-video.

    Resolution and picture quality are related but they are two different
    characteristics. The one describes the total amount of image data in each
    video frame, the other is about the difference in appearance between the
    source video and how it ends up looking on-screen (or as a capture file)
    using either one of the two different types of cable.

    RalfG, May 4, 2009
  10. To get the best from s-video you also need an s-video original signal from
    an s-video player.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media