    the PC via firewire.

    I can record the video fine, but no sound gets recorded.
    Help!

    J-Johnson, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Seems your setup is fine.... you should be hearing it on both camcorders as
    it plays and records on the computer.... are you hearing it on the digital
    one?

    Try recording a test clip onto a tape in the digital camcorder without it
    connected to the computer to verify it's going into the digital camcorder
    OK.
    --
    PapaJohn

    Movie Maker 2 - www.papajohn.org
    Photo Story 2 - www.photostory.papajohn.org

    ..

    PapaJohn \(MVP\), Oct 20, 2004

  3. J-Johnson

    Guest Guest

    This resembles the problem that analog AV input to Windows Movie Maker
    records the Video but not the Audio. Is a video card (ours an ATI
    All-In-Wonder 9000)-Movie Maker conflict, but trying to install a new driver
    not possible due to some conflict in ATI drivers/site download.

    Guest, Oct 20, 2004
  4. J-Johnson

    Prilosec Guest

    This is from left field--had the same problem with an old USB Dazzle. Have
    you tried bypassing the sound altogether on your digital camera, plugging
    your audio (analog camera) jacks directly into your sound card? This is
    what I had to do with the Dazzle. Now we have a computer with a TV card,
    which makes the analog conversion really simple (via coax to the VCR).

    Prilosec, Oct 21, 2004
  5. J-Johnson

    Guest Guest

    Yes, this is precisely the setup: analog camera or VCR outputs to analog
    and/or S-video ATI interface in XP Media Center Edition PC. No audio input.
    Movie Maker configuration and sound source/cabling have no effect: can be to
    ATI card, to sound card, to Mic input and various sub configs in WMM with
    Audio cable(s) to ATI or SB Audio card mic input. In certain audio input
    configs, WMM gives error message "Video source not detected".

    Guest, Oct 21, 2004
  6. J-Johnson

    j-johnson Guest

    I dove a little more into last night. I connected the
    analog camera directly to a VCR's inputs and no sound. I
    then played it with headphones and no sound. For some
    reason, my analog camera is not outputting any audio. I
    played some tapes that I know have audio on them.

    FYI - the camera is a Hi-8 CCD-TR600.

    This is a little outside this forum, but if anyone has
    experienced this, please give me your thoughts.

    j-johnson, Oct 21, 2004
  7. J-Johnson

    Guest Guest

    I purchased a Canon Optura 40 and recently captured some video from my old
    Sony Hi-8mm camera onto my computer. I used the 2 audio connections from the
    3 in 1 jack that came with the camera and a s-video line from the Sony to the
    Canon, which was connected via a firewire cable to my pc. I didn't want the
    AV signal being recorded onto the miniDV tape, but directly to the pc. It
    took a few tries to get it right because I received some error messages about
    not detecting a video source with MM, but I finally got there. Let me know
    if you are still having issues. Maybe we can work through them.

    Guest, Nov 1, 2004
  8. J-Johnson

    Guest Guest

    using the firewire fo the digital camcorder as an A/D valve is a solution,
    but this does not address the basic issue of why does audio not go into the
    analog input? Also, as you point out, you have to mess around with the tape
    which is in the digital camcorder to avoid overwriting that.

    :)

    Chmbr

    Guest, Nov 1, 2004