"An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel etc."

Discussion in 'Windows XP Performance' started by Greg, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I'm getting this message:

    "An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel file
    C:\WINDOWS\system\netsetup.cpl."

    Also, my computer was running slow, see subject in this newsgroup titled
    "Sloooooooooooooowww Computer".

    I ran a registry cleaner but have since reverted my settings using "System
    Restore" because many advised to not use Registry Utilities.

    Thanks to some of the ideas that people suggested, (Check for malware,
    cleaning temp files, lowering cache levels, etc.), my computer is running
    much better but I'm getting the message:

    "An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel file
    C:\WINDOWS\system\netsetup.cpl."0--opi[",

    The computer is running much better. It still seems to hesitate when
    mousing; to hitch now and then, but better.

    Does anyone have any other suggestions. Any way to deal with the control
    pane problem? Is that symptomatic of registry problems? "Registry
    Mechanic" found some 300 errors! How worried should I be? With respect to
    the lag, could this be my video card? I'm a graphic designer. I'm not
    gaming , or running any video apps. I have implemented, and appreciate the
    suggestions from Shenan Stanley but after trying just about everything,
    It's still dogging. So, any other ideas or suggestions?

    Thanks a bunch!

    Greg

    Greg, Dec 18, 2004

  2. Greg

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Unistall this crap!

    Are you using Verizon? Or SBC?

    netsetup.cpl is related to IPMON32. IPMON32 = IPMON32.exe

    ipmon32.exe is an application from Verizon. It provides the user with
    monitor diagnostic tools. It is known to consume large amount of resources.

    I hate to recommend this, but I don't know another way...

    Start | Run | Type: msconfig | OK |
    Startup tab | UNCheck: IPMON32 | Click Apply |
    Click OK | Reboot

    [[Q: Is IP insight really needed?
    A: No it's not necessary at all. It's a diagnostic tool that Verizon techs
    can use to troubleshoot connection problems on your line. IP Insight is a
    Quality of Service and/or diagnostic package - but it's not used by VOL at
    this time - there's no back-end companion for tech support or NOC to use to
    access it... It does send "phone home" data used to check latency and
    network traffic occasionally, but like any other features that it contains
    are unused or not implemented.]]
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1247

    IPMon32.exe seems to be related to spyware.

    C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPMon32.exe

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:D7_wd.512$fe5.312@trndny06,