Windows XP "An error occurred during directory enumeration"

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Window 2000 system that went blue-screen (Inaccessible_Boot_Device) on me after removing some software. I have found workarounds that will let me recover my OS, but these workarounds require copying files while in Recovery mode.

Unfortunately, I am unable to copy (or delete) files! I keep running into the error message, "An error occurred during directory enumeration" and get "Access is denied" when trying to do anything with files. I thought that I needed to "logon" to a Windows install, but recovery mode did not prompt me to do that, nor did the "logon" command. Whenever I type "logon" at the DOS prompt, I just a square blinking cursor.

Also, I've tried running chkdsk /r with no success. And I have made an emergency repair disk but can't run the repair.

There are some files that I would like to grab from the HD, so would like to find a solution that doesn't require reformatting the drive.

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
linux springs to mind, to be more specific knoppix, its a bootable OS so you can get access to your files without having to install anything and you can then simply stick the files on a USB flash drive or CD

Reaction score
RESOLVED -->for me

(RESOLVED!!! an error occurred during directory enumeration
what felt like a TRAGEDY becomes a success story!)

Okay, windows did not boot up, I was using NON-GUI boot, so I didn't see anything just a black

screen , all I saw was my wireless light turn on, and the computer activity light blinking and my

fan was loud a bit...tried rebooting, tried resetting BIOS to defaults... no good..

Cause: BIOS change? TuneXP?(I ran ultra fast boot..) Disabling some O&O Defrag from startup?
or deltemp.bat (computer tweak which contains
rd /s /q "C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Local Settings\History"
rd /s /q "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History"
rd /s /q "C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Local Settings\Temp"
I am pretty sure it speeds up boot.
)

(hope this helps someone... )
Steps to Resolution:

Well I first of course tried (by pressing F8 during startup) and selecting safe mode, or last known

good configuration but no use.

In the recovery console on the XP Boot CD (I just shoved my xp cd in , hit f12 and selected boot

from CD-ROM)
I ran fixboot
I ran fixmbr, then ran chkdsk
in recovery console I tried
dir (to list directories)
"an error occurred during directory enumeration."
THe recovery console did not even find c:\windows or anything ...

(for others if dir actually works... and shows your files.. you can use the master-slave approach

to save your data to another place OR --> tried a REPAIR INSTALLATION OF XP-- > OR ... try a new

installation of XP BUT to a different directory... I use
C:/WINDOWSX ... so when I installed fresh installation from XP I installed to C:\windows .. then

eventually deleted that windows folder after fixing boot.ini to say C:\windowsX.

Anyyways I ran chkdsk.. because obviously something was corrupt ...
it was running and took quite awhile at 25% (and "performing additional checking" 3 times)
so I said screw it. I will restart...same problem...
After searching online I realized if I ever wanted to see my data again that CHKDSK will do it.
So i ran the command:
chkdsk /p /r
(with my 120GB hard drive)
from 10pm EST to about 2:27 am EST..
it said windows fixed one or more errors after it finally reached 100%

Lesson: Let the damned chkdsk do its thing(after you run fixboot and fixmbr) and say goodbye to

about 4 hours and 30 minutes of your life.
Well it reached 75% went down to 60% and up to 100% and yay! windows was back.
chkdsk /p /r
saved me!!!
(after it worked I scheduled a scandisk ...)
and as a special reccomendation run PAGEDEFRAG ...
its by microsoft... my c:\windows\config\system is in 11 fragments.,.
maybe thats why it runs so slow..
so ya lets hope for the best.

Reaction score
an error occured during directory enumeration

Hi Guys,

after doing the recovery cd and doing the chkdsk /p /r . i can now see my windows xp.

Thanks and kudos to you.

Mykel

Ask a Question