Amd Xp Cpu

ACE

Reaction score
I RECENTLY PURCHASED AN AMD XP 2200 CPU.
ALSO I PURCHASED AN ASUS A7V333 MOTHERBOARD TO GO WITH IT. I AM CURRENTLY BUILDING A GAMEING SYSTEM AND WAS WONDERING IF I NEED TO HAVE A BIGGER POWER SOURCE THAN THE ONE THAT COMES WITH AN OLDER SYSTEM LIKE 1996. THIS IS MY FIRST TIME BUILDING A SYSTEM. I HOPE IT IS A GOOD ONE.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ow, no need to shout ... turn off you "Caps Lock"

... Yep, a 450/550watt will do nicely. Don’t be tempted with a cheapo. ;)

Reaction score
If the power supply is from 1996, for sure you'll need a new one. It can't be much more than a 200w. You'll need at the bare minimum 300w for what you're talking about.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Antec Truepower; Sparkle & Enermax are all good and trusted makes with healthy current supplies for each rail.

my ears, my ears.... :crazy: :D

ACE

Reaction score
Hey floppy,
Sorry about yer ears. To much Rock N' Roll can make a deaf person hear. I'll tone it down a bit. Thanks for the info.

ACE

Reaction score
Floppy,
I tried to buy an Abit KR7A raid but it was discontinued. Whats up with that?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ACE:

Very good article on PSU's Here

Based on their findings and general availability, I'd go for the Antec 380 Truepower.

Yes, I do believe the KR7A is no longer produced by Abit. You can get the KD-7 RAID for a hundred quid, it's a much better board with onboard sound, USB2.0 and some other good stuff.

Here's a link: KD7 (3rd & 4th on the list).

Or you can get the non-RAID version for £87.00.

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity,does it have the Tbred core?Or do you have the steppings of the chip,if so please post them.

wildone:roll:

ACE

Reaction score
WILDONE,
I am new at this computer stuff and really dont understand
what you exactly are asking. It is an AMD ATHLON xp 2200+
It has a chipset disk that comes with the board for extended
features. I am getting really frustrated with my situation.
If you can help me out i would really appreciate it. Thanks!
:confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ACE:

Sorry about your frustration building your system :(

So far you've asked two things:

a) Do I need a new PSU?

Answer is yes, you do. Here's a link to a whole stack of 'em. I'd go for either the Antec Truepower 330W or preferably the 380W. If you're loaded it's worth going for a 430W model.

Power supply link >>> Power Supplies Prices at this place are as good as anywhere, give or take a pound or two.

b) KR7A discontinued, what's up with that?

I dunno man, crap happens, but I gave you a link to an alternative board, what's up with that? ;)

btw, the stepping of your chip is denoted by the number on top of it, it'll be AGOIA or something similar. It's a batch number. Some batches were better for overclocking than others, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck.

ACE

Reaction score
a new power supply

I just bought a new power supply. Nothing has changed except now i have a prompt that says "WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR"
PLEASE RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. I have talked to some people
and they told me that something is up with my registration.
I went online and checked the trouble shooting of windows and did everything they told me but to no avail it did not work. I like to work to on my own computer but dont know diddly sqaut.
The board is an asus7v333. MY ? was what the hell is up with
with my computer. That is my concern. If anbody can give me some info let me know. Paying some dude $60 to $100 an hour is ridiculous. Thanks

8)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
OK Ace, what Operating system are you using?

If it's a legitimate copy of XP then yes, you will need to re-register but the computer will probably load the operating system OK.

Are you using the same hard disk you used with a previous system?

If so, it's unlikely it will work very well with your new setup as it's been configured to work with your old setup.

Best course of action would be to wipe your hard disk, format it and do a clean install of your OS.

To do that you need to boot from a floppy disk such as a WIN98 boot disk and from there format your hard disk.

If you're using XP you can boot from the CD ROM and format during the install process.

I'm not sure of how knowledgable you are with these things but if you need any more help at all, please ask away, we're here to help.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Without more information we're at a loss on how to advise.

It would help if you could list all your components including which OS you’re using.

"WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR" is usually associated with 95/98/ME and is a "catch all" error message. It could mean anything.

Do a clean install with only the bear minimum in the system.

ACE

Reaction score
AMD PROBLEMS

I am somewhat computer capable.
I have already wiped the hard drive numerous times, then reloaded windows 98. The process goes through up untill it says starting windows for the first time then the "Protection Error"
comes up. I have tried everything i know and am about ready to throw my computer out the window. One thing i have noticed is when the boot disk is in and you get an A:/ prompt in DOS, i swap
drive letters to my C:/ drive and type DIR it tells me that i have "Invalid Media Switch" it is like my hard drive or my cd-rom is not available. If you need more info please let me know. I thank you guys for helpin out. If not for your help and guidance i would
be goin a little more off the deep end.

P.S Windows 98 is bootleg. XP is not and neither one work.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ace, I can e-mail you a small proggie (750kb zipped) that you can make a floppy disk from, boot from it and carry out a thorough erase/format to FAT 32 ready to take WIN 98. It'll also do a Scandisk function as well but that takes quite a long time depending on the size of your hard disk.

That should clean your hard drive up nicely, show if it has any errors and hopefully enable you to carry out a successful installation.

When you use the WIN 98 boot disk to arrive at the 'a' prompt, are you using fdisk first before formatting? That may help.

If you want the proggie, just shout.

ACE

Reaction score
RIGHTOUS

Floppy,
Go a head and email me the zip.
I have used the fdisk option.Matterfact i just erased everything again and this time ntkern came as an error. I think its the registry problem but i am a novice at this but willin to learn. If your ever online and see me IM me and we can chat online. Thanks. Do you have my email address?
:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No, I don't have your e-mail address. I thought I'd use your profile e-mail facility but of course I can't send an attachment :crazy:

send me your address to (e-mail address removed)

muckshifter

Reaction score
The correct way to enter your C: drive is with the "backslash" ...

C:\

;)

Ask a Question