AMD or INTEL ???

Reaction score
I currently have a P2 400mhz, yeah , laugh if you want, cause i know it's getting crapy. Anyway ,i'm thinking about upgrading my pc and all i'm thinking about changing would be the motherboard, ram memory and last but not least processor.

Now i'm really not sure if i should go for P4 or Athlon. What i'm looking for is quality but also price, which is still an important factor in my decision. So if i had to take the P4 i'd buy rimm and if it was an Athlon i'd buy ddr.

Which do you think would be better for me to choose?

<center>
</center>

or <center>
</center>

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello

It's an age old question Hubert,

I'll try and answer ... If price is an issue then AMD is the way, you get more "bang for bucks" with the AMD option. As for reliability, I think Intel still has the edge. There are all the other components to consider, don’t be tempted to skimp on them.

My personal preference is AMD, hope some of our Intel fans have a view here, since I'm a Scot and money can be an issue. :D

I do not like the way AMD advertise a 1.533Mhz as an 1800+ but I have had the pleasure of pitching an 1800 along side an Intel and the AMD did "pip" the Intel. However, as stated before, you get a lot for your money with an AMD system. ;)

Mucks.

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
I have to agree with muck about the PR rating , but I got this chip for 66.00 American and it rocks.Its an AMD athlon XP 1600+ and I have gotton it to 1910 MHZ so far but only 1880 stable.If you are the least bit into overclocking this is the chip for you.One thing about amd though ,there PR rating isnt way off like back in the cyrix days , check this out ,at 1880 I am very close to the pentium 4 2.66.

1880.JPG

wildone

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
Well, if you are willing to pay through the nose for absolute performance, go with intel and rambus memory. Expensive and possibly dead end, but very fast.

However, as processors go, intels aren't very efficient and do less per clock cycle than an Athlon (or even a P3 sometimes!) does. What that means is although athlons may be slower regarding mhz, in many applications they are faster.

I'd go with a nice new Athlon XP and maybe DDR333 memory. Fast, stable enough (now) and easily upgradable.

As for motherboards, I've had good experiences with Abit, Aopen and Gigabyte, however do some research on any board and always buy quality memory. A super quick system is no good if it keeps crashing!

Reaction score
I have to disagree, I had a Athlon XP 1800 up until a few months ago, and it wasn't the fastest or most stable thing around. The problem with AMD is that the system chips (via, sis) and AMD motherboards are not as stable as Intel equivelents. Intel Chipsets are far more stable than their rivals... and why shouldn't they be... they are supporting their own CPU.

Anyway i've upgraded to 2.4B Ghz on the i845E chipset and i rarely get a crash... except when i do summit stupid!

Amd are good don't get me wrong, just intel are better.

Anandtech review

The current problem with Intel P4 is DDR memory doesn't get the most out of the CPU. This is why RDRam is recommended by users, but the difference is not hugely significant.

A good point about the P4b's is that they are very good for overclocking... you cen get close to 3Ghz from a 2.4ghz chip (granted you need some cooling to do it!)

Daz

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Well,I really havent had stability probs that I couldnt figure out a fix for,my best uptime is 64 days with an athlon 1 gig cpu @ 1500,that was on a shuttle AK31 mother board with the via 266A chipset and windows XP HE,a guy I know from another forum got a 2400+ cpu and overclocked it to 2500MHZ,and these chips are looking very good also.

sancpu.jpg

Ask a Question